• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How to Photograph Steam Trains

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

trainmania100

Established Member
Thanks for sharing, interesting read. I think Trainspots and the like should also be mentioned, it can be quite a challenge to find somewhere decent to get a photograph. I'm slowing moving a way from station shots now , trying to find wider range of shots

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather
A reasonable summary, although one thing in particular stands out for me

If you want much of the photo to be in acceptable focus, then never set your focus point on the front of the train, especially if you want to maximize depth of field (e.g. f stop 11 or lower. You may find much of the rear of the train to be so out of focus, it could be distracting. As a rule of thumb, I estimate what is called the "hyperfocal" distance about 1/3rd into the frame and this is where I set my focus point. Any further back and the front of the picture (or the engine, depending where it is in the frame) and the front will be out of focus.

With regard to shutter speed, it depends on how fast the train is moving and whether it is moving from left to right (or vice versa) or towards you. If it is travelling towards you at a speed of over 60-70mph; I would not use a shutter speed lower than 1/1600. If it is travelling directly across the frame, then 1/2000 minimum.

As a rule of thumb, for express electric or diesel trains running 80mph+, I would shoot at least 1/2000. For a steam train, capturing it may be your one and only chance so setting the right focus and shutter speed is crucial. If you fluff it up, no amount of post processing will correct it.

And remember to set your ISO appropriately

Last edited:

pdeaves

Established Member
With regard to shutter speed, it depends on how fast the train is moving and whether it is moving from left to right (or vice versa) or towards you. If it is travelling towards you at a speed of over 60-70mph; I would not use a shutter speed lower than 1/1600. If it is travelling directly across the frame, then 1/2000 minimum.
Alternatively, use a much lower shutter speed and pan the shot (practice on 'throwaway' subjects first). That way, you get an impression of speed/movement. After all, the train is moving. If you want it to look like it's stationary, a stationary subject gives you more time to get the settings perfect.

Romsey

UK Steam has closed for current info after the site operator had health issues.
www.railtourinfo.co.uk/tours.html is a good starting point when combined with RTT for timing details. ( Start looking for charter train schedules about 10 days before operation.)

Not much steam moving on the mainline, with the first tours advertised in July, subject to suitable bookings and Government policy.

Thank you all for your comments.

The problem is that we all use different camera settings to get the photo we want.

Mine might seem to fast or slow but it does what I want it to do.

Bevan Price

Established Member
His "Photographers Rule" is a good idea, but unfortunately we are all liable to encounter some ignorant g*ts who arrive at the last minute and stand in front of those arrived earlier -- and some very well known photographers come into that category. On heritage railways, and at open days, there are always people who simply fail to realise that they are getting into other peoples' photgraphs.

Status
Not open for further replies.