• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

How Would the J70 Class Steam Tram Function

Status
Not open for further replies.

Greg Wetzel

Hello,

I have several questions regarding how the J70 class steam tram would function. As you'll see, I have little to no knowledge on steam trams.

1. Where would the firebox be located? Is it located in the cab closest to the chimney, or in the cab that'd be at the rear of the locomotive?
2. How would a steam tram like the J70 get a boiler washout? Does a steam tram have a smokebox of any sort?
3. In the "Railway Series," an engine named Toby is based off of a J70. In the book "Branch Line Engines," it is revealed that he has a whistle, which he uses to shoo a bull off the line. Do steam trams have whistles? And if so, where would it be placed? Also, where would the whistle cord be located. Would it be in the cab closest to the chimney or in the cab that'd be at the rear?
4. Toby is also equipped with a bell. So, if a steam tram has both a whistle and a bell, when would each of them be used?
5. How is the boiler structured in order for steam to travel throughout and to come out of the chimney?
6. How would a steam tram's firebox get cleaned out? Do they have ashpans?
7. Where are the water tanks located? How are they accessed?
8. How would coal be stored? Is it kept in the cab where the firebox is? Would be kept in bags, seeing how Toby doesn't have a bunker?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

randyrippley

Established Member
Thank you for the article. However, it didn't really help with answering my questions.

Yes it does if you look at the photos, especially the one with the timber removed
here's a better version

small conventional horizontal boiler with firebox at one end and flue at the other

p520915923-3[1].jpg

Veteran Member
Hello,

I have several questions regarding how the J70 class steam tram would function. As you'll see, I have little to no knowledge on steam trams.

1. Where would the firebox be located? Is it located in the cab closest to the chimney, or in the cab that'd be at the rear of the locomotive?
2. How would a steam tram like the J70 get a boiler washout? Does a steam tram have a smokebox of any sort?
3. ...Do steam trams have whistles? And if so, where would it be placed? Also, where would the whistle cord be located. Would it be in the cab closest to the chimney or in the cab that'd be at the rear?
4. ...If a steam tram has both a whistle and a bell, when would each of them be used?
5. How is the boiler structured in order for steam to travel throughout and to come out of the chimney?
6. How would a steam tram's firebox get cleaned out? Do they have ashpans?
7. Where are the water tanks located? How are they accessed?
8. How would coal be stored? Is it kept in the cab where the firebox is? Would be kept in bags, seeing how Toby doesn't have a bunker?
The article says it all pretty much, and the answers to your questions are basically "same as a normal loco."
In addition:
1 at the rear
2b yes
3 yes, above the boiler, both ends.
4 as stated, the bell was required for roadside running, the whistle a standard fitment and used as required.
5, 6 normally
7. That's not clear from the article, but maybe there was a filler accessible through one of the side windows? ISTR a picture of Toby taking water in one of the original books...
8. Yes, coal would be kept on the footplate, but it would be stacked not bagged (railway coal came by the truckload not in 1cwt sacks).

Status
Not open for further replies.