• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HS1 station signal "OFF" indicators

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kentish Paul

I've noticed that the domestic platforms at Ebbsfleet International and Stratford International have signal "OFF" indicators.

This seems odd as there are no conventional signals, no platform staff and the driver self dispatches using the carriage fitted cameras. (The on board manager playing no part in dispatch). The onboard TVM430 system will tell the driver whether the signal is off or on.

Were they fitted before the final system of DOO operation was set in stone?

I also see that the International platforms at Stratford have them fitted as well.

Any ideas?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Kent Spotter

Hey Paul
I've seen these too as I frequently travel to these stations. I believe they were there because of a rerouting. You might realise the middle line, elevating and turning northwards.

Still, it remains a mystery as I can't figure why.

Kent Spotter

user15681

Established Member
They are there for platform staff to dispatch the trains should they be required. The lack of actual signals on the tracks mean that the OFF indicators are the only way that staff on platforms (presumably either platform staff or even OBMs) can see if the route ahead is clear.

hassaanhc

Established Member
Jubilee Line also has them for the exact same reason (well just a white light fixed to the wall or something)

Kentish Paul

They are there for platform staff to dispatch the trains should they be required. The lack of actual signals on the tracks mean that the OFF indicators are the only way that staff on platforms (presumably either platform staff or even OBMs) can see if the route ahead is clear.

Thanks Temple. I thought that was the case. A sort of " just in case we need it" scenario. Still seems odd to see them illuminated and no staff to observe them. Better to put them in at the start than retrofit.

CyrusWuff

Established Member
On a related note, ISTR from the pre-opening trials that the Eurostar platforms at St Pancras are equipped with conventional colour light signals plated "AF" as well as "OFF" (and quite possibly CD/RA) indicators.

Unfortunately, on the few occasions I've travelled on Eurostar since the switch I've always been on the wrong side of the train to observe same...

Kentish Paul

On a related note, ISTR from the pre-opening trials that the Eurostar platforms at St Pancras are equipped with conventional colour light signals plated "AF" as well as "OFF" (and quite possibly CD/RA) indicators.

Unfortunately, on the few occasions I've travelled on Eurostar since the switch I've always been on the wrong side of the train to observe same...

Quite correct.

All platforms at St Pancras have conventional colour light signals. The "AF" you refer to is Ashford IECC (signal box in old money). Ashford controls HS1 at St Pancras i.e Eurostar and Southeastern.

Interestingly the Southeastern 395's are despatched by platform staff at St Pancras with the normal CD and RA indicators and lots of whistling and "stand clear". No such thing at Stratford, Ebbsfleet or Ashford. Not sure how Eurostar do it.

LowLevel

Established Member
I believe the guards on Eurostar do it (last time I saw one depart a local door was still open) - I know they used to have dispatch staff as well but whether that's still the case I'm not sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.