• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HS2 construction updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

stuu

Established Member
Once north of Aylesbury, maybe things will open out a bit on HS2, until approaching Birmingham.
They don't, the drawings are all online. Its pretty much all the way, except for the viaducts which will no doubt have screens of some sort

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

AM9

Veteran Member
Why don't we just specify the trains without windows, whilst we're at it? :D
Because 'normals' like to have natural light, but don't call a 50+ minute journey boring if they don't see every motorway bridge, canal, siding and post industrial office block between their start and finish stations. Remember, the purpose of the railway is primarily to get from A to B, - anybody who wants the 'scenic' experience will still be able to take the WCML route and because they will be travelling slower, wil have more time to appreciate the view. ;)

Richard Scott

Established Member
Because 'normals' like to have natural light, but don't call a 50+ minute journey boring if they don't see every motorway bridge, canal, siding and post industrial office block between their start and finish stations. Remember, the purpose of the railway is primarily to get from A to B, - anybody who wants the 'scenic' experience will still be able to take the WCML route and because they will be travelling slower, wil have more time to appreciate the view. ;)
I like to look out, worst journey I've ever done is Florence to Milan, seem to remember almost all was in tunnels or looking at boards. Don't care how short journey is the scenery is part of it.

D6130

Established Member
I like to look out, worst journey I've ever done is Florence to Milan, seem to remember almost all was in tunnels or looking at boards. Don't care how short journey is the scenery is part of it.
I think you may be referring to Florence-Bologna. Bologna-Milan is almost entirely through open countryside....although admittedly the most boring part of Italy across the flat agricultural plain of the River Po. However, when the weather conditions are right, passengers can enjoy distant views of the Alps to the North and the Apennines to the South on this part of the journey. If you take a slower - but cheaper - InterCity train between Bologna and Florence via the 1934 'Direttissima' line, there are some great views of the Apennine valleys to be enjoyed....even though there is one 19km tunnel and another of about 10 km.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
Yes, how nice the views from the window are should absolutely not be a factor that influences the project in any way.

Richard Scott

Established Member
I think you may be referring to Florence-Bologna. Bologna-Milan is almost entirely through open countryside....although admittedly the most boring part of Italy across the flat agricultural plain of the River Po. However, when the weather conditions are right, passengers can enjoy distant views of the Alps to the North and the Apennines to the South on this part of the journey. If you take a slower - but cheaper - InterCity train between Bologna and Florence via the 1934 'Direttissima' line, there are some great views of the Apennine valleys to be enjoyed....even though there is one 19km tunnel and another of about 10 km.
Have done both but couldn't remember which the boring bit was, knew Bologna featured somewhere.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
I think you may be referring to Florence-Bologna. Bologna-Milan is almost entirely through open countryside....although admittedly the most boring part of Italy across the flat agricultural plain of the River Po. However, when the weather conditions are right, passengers can enjoy distant views of the Alps to the North and the Apennines to the South on this part of the journey.
There's at least one remarkable view on the Milan-Bologna AV section - the intermediate station at Reggio Emilia AV.
You think it's a concrete monstrosity until the train stops and you realise the vertical column design with glazing between is a clever way of getting views out and light in.
The wavy roof gives the impression you are inside a cloud.
No doubt the designers of our HS2 stations will have noted.

Attachments

• IMG_0882c Reggio Emilia AV.JPG
    983 KB · Views: 99
Why don't we just specify the trains without windows, whilst we're at it? :D

London Underground (or it's predecessor organisations) tried that once upon a time - "What's the point of windows on trains in tunnels." They weren't popular and all subsequentl stock has windows.

Though of course this means the noise will be unbearable in what was one of the lovliest pieces of countryside within the M25.

Have you actually been there...? (I live a couple of miles away.) It's pleasant enough considering it's a bunch of abandoned gravel pits that have been allowed to fill up with water, but I would contest the idea that it's one of the "one of the loveliest pieces of countryside within the M25." If you are not familiar with it (and I've not idea whether are or are not) I suggest caution just in case you are getting sucked into the NIMBY narrative. It's already pretty noisey due to the proximity of the M25, M40, Denham aerodrome, Northolt AFB and even the occasional bit of Heathrow traffic, not to mention the ongoing industrial works.

Last edited:

Nottingham59

Established Member
It's already pretty noisey due to the proximity of the M25, M40, Denham aerodrome, Northolt AFB and even the occasional bit of Heathrow traffic, not to mention the ongoing industrial works.
Well, all I can say is that I have regularly stayed at Jack Mill B&B in Harefield, next to the Grand Union Canal, and now just 500m from the line of the HS2 viaduct. I chose there because I found it is completely quiet at night, except for the sound of running water in the mill stream off the River Colne and the occasional waterfowl. Looking to the west, over the river and the lake, there are no other buildings or signs of human habitation.

Parts of Epping Forest are nearly as nice, and I don't know about the Surrey Hills or the Kent side of the London Green belt. So I can't compare. But here is, or rather was, one of the nicest. Have you ever been there?

This pic is not the actual view, but the closest I can get from Google Streetview to show what I mean:
1670520546475.png
View from: https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@51.6057444,-0.4994782,3a,75y,238.61h,86.53t/

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
So bigger brother of the Stechford to Aston bridge that was put in. Coloured lights are not going to glamorise weathered steel!
It appears not to have planning permission yet.

Calling it the "Bellingham Bridge" is an attempt to capture popular appeal, like "Project Rio" was 20 years ago...
I note the HS2 twitter thread on the subject is full of negative and even obnoxious comments.
PR is a tough ask these days.

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
This thread no longer seems to be providing HS2 Construction Updates so is now closed.

If anyone has any HS2 specific site updates they would like to post then feel free to start a new site specific thread in this forum section.

thanks all

Status
Not open for further replies.