• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HS2 construction updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Domh245

Established Member
Chiltern tunnel TBM is due to receive 8 toilets in May

1. Title: TUNNEL BORING MACHINE TOILETS – SHORT DEADLINE
2. Awarding Authority: ALIGN JV (Bouygues Travaux Publics, VolkerFitzpatrick and Sir Robert McAlpine) , GB. Web: www.alignjv.co.uk
3. Contract type: Supply contract
4. Description: To supply and deliver 8 no. toilets for our Tunnel Boring Machines.
Semi-permanent toilets to be installed on the TBM
Toilet itself should be removed from its place, with method of emptying it.
Limited intervention of emptying the toilet is a major consideration
Supplier to provide approx. duration required before toilet needs to be emptied
4 no. toilets per TBM – 8 no. total required
Self-contained including washing facilities
Electrically powered
The first delivery date (4 no.) = 03/05/2021
The second delivery date (4 no.) = 15/05/2021
5. CPV Code(s): 24955000, 24950000, 33710000, 45332400, 45330000
6. NUTS code(s): UKG, UKG3, UKG31, UKI
7. Main site or location of works, main place of delivery or main place of performance: Delivery point C1 section_Denham
HS2 C1
8. Reference attributed by awarding authority: Not provided.
9. Estimated value of requirement: Not provided.
10. CompeteFor response deadline 12.2.2021 (17:00:00).
11. Address to which they must be sent: Note: This is a CompeteFor opportunity. Opportunities may be with both public and private sector businesses. To apply, please click the following link to register on the CompeteFor portal Web:
12. Other information: Opportunity Method Contract Opportunity
Opportunity Status Open
Opportunity Type Public Sector
Notice Type Notice
Nature of Opportunity Goods
Estimated contract value (GBP) Not disclosed
About the buyer’s selection process:
The package will be competitively tendered and assessed against a split between commercial (price) and non-commercial/technical criteria. The intention of the Contractor that these works will be tendered as 1 enquiry, however we reserve the right to split the works and award the package to more than 1 sub-contractor – we do not anticipate this award being to more than 2 contractors.
About the buyer:
In July 2017, ALIGN (Bouygues Travaux Publics, Sir Robert McAlpine and Volker Fitzpatrick) won the significant C1 package of the UK High Speed 2 line (HS2). Lot C1 consists of 21.6km of high speed rail infrastructure in a rural environment. This will include a 3.37km viaduct, 15.75km twin-tubes tunnel and five vent shafts handling both piston effect and tunnel ventilation.
Estimated tender close date 15/03/2021
Estimated contract award date 14/04/2021
Estimated contract start date 03/05/2021
TKR-202126-EX-1550941

Are TBM toilets usually procured separately to the TBMs?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Yindee8191

Does this mean the TBMs aren’t launching until May? That would be a bit disappointing considering the given date was ‘early 2021’.

Nottingham59

Established Member
Maybe May is the date when the TBMs are expected to be too far away from the starting point to be able to conveniently walk back. It does seem odd that these facilities weren't included in the original design. I wonder why not?

takno

Established Member

Is it really necessary to run a public procurement exercise in order to purchase 8 buckets?

jyte

Maybe May is the date when the TBMs are expected to be too far away from the starting point to be able to conveniently walk back. It does seem odd that these facilities weren't included in the original design. I wonder why not?
This was my first thought, to be honest, but this Crossrail article suggests the machines were fitted with toilets:

This process continues 24 hours a day, seven days a week, with a rolling crew of 15 swapping shifts every 12 hours and taking short breaks beneath ground to use the on-board toilet (we weren’t allowed in) or grab a drink.

If it's the case they forgot to specify toilets, really need toilets, and plan to launch in Q1, then some poor sod might have to carry 4 toilets down each tunnel to fit them after the machine.

I could say that HS2 have found themselves...caught short... ;)

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
As reported on the 332 scrap moves thread, the former Heathrow Express depot is now free of stock, so work can presumably begin to knock that down soon enough for Old Oak Common.

Purple Orange

On Moderation
Slightly related to the thread, but does anyone know of a link to HS2 reports that set out the appraisal for various route options in to Manchester? I.e. the planned route v a route from the south east v a route from the west v the Mersey?

Ianno87

Veteran Member

Class 170101

Established Member
Is it really necessary to run a public procurement exercise in order to purchase 8 buckets?

Given that the Health Secretary has been taken to, and just lost in, court for something similar in the Health and Social Care department, I would, unfortunately, suggest yes the process has to be gone through for eight 'buckets'.

Covid: Matt Hancock acted unlawfully over pandemic contracts

Last edited:

D365

Veteran Member
public sector contracts always have to go out to tender. In theory...

TheHSRailFan

As reported on the 332 scrap moves thread, the former Heathrow Express depot is now free of stock, so work can presumably begin to knock that down soon enough for Old Oak Common.
Nothings really in there, As soon as all the equipment and stuff is gone and taken away, I think.

BrianW

Established Member
public sector contracts always have to go out to tender. In theory...
It's my money and everyone's being spent- I would like to be assured it doesn't go to someone's 'best mate' whether it's Hancock or Marples or T.Dan Smith. I take the point however about 'proportionality'. And of course we can't blame 'Brussels' now.
Given that the Health Secretary has been taken to, and just lost in, court for something similar in the Health and Social Care department, I would, unfortunately, suggest yes the process has to be gone through for eight 'buckets'.

AL1875

I know this seems like quite a far fetched question but when will we see the railway built? Seems like it's mainly still enabling works to prepare for the full build that are still taking place. Is there any rough estimate timeline for all the milestones of the build such as when test trains will be running on the tracks? I know that won't take place for many years to come but I wonder if a rough guideline has been released?

david_g

It's beginning to look like more than enabling works taking place, I took these two photos two hours ago at Wormleighton. A large part of the tree clearance work was done months ago and the forestry workers were there today finishing off. There are loads of temporary roadways on the site which weren't there a couple of weeks ago and more lorryloads arriving while I was there. This site will eventually be a cutting with four tracks in it, two maintenance loops outside the running lines. The road I'm standing on will be diverted to the other side of the cutting, about where the line of trees is in the second photo. HS2 roughly folows the line of the temporay roadway you can see in the photos.IMG_0394.JPGIMG_0393.JPGIMG_0394.JPG

JamesT

Established Member

In this case, it wasn’t the lack of tendering that got Matt Hancock in trouble, but failing to publish the details of the contracts within the mandatory timescale. There is an emergency process to bypass the tendering requirement which I don’t believe has been challenged yet.
Given people are going to jump on HS2 for anything, making sure it’s all done by the book is the only way to prevent it spending years stuck in the courts.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
I know this seems like quite a far fetched question but when will we see the railway built? Seems like it's mainly still enabling works to prepare for the full build that are still taking place. Is there any rough estimate timeline for all the milestones of the build such as when test trains will be running on the tracks? I know that won't take place for many years to come but I wonder if a rough guideline has been released?

Main works have started. Tunnelling through the Chilterns starts soon, and you not long after you will see big earthworks and civils happening along most of the route. I’d expect main civils to take until 2025, track / OLE in 2025-6, commissioning / testing 2027, limited service to OOC 2028-9.

AL1875

Main works have started. Tunnelling through the Chilterns starts soon, and you not long after you will see big earthworks and civils happening along most of the route. I’d expect main civils to take until 2025, track / OLE in 2025-6, commissioning / testing 2027, limited service to OOC 2028-9.
Thank you very much for the response. How do we all think the service to OOC will go? It will be quite inconvenient for many in the north west to transfer trains when they get there. Will they be able to hop onto an Elizabeth Line train into central London? I wonder if it will put any people off.

It's beginning to look like more than enabling works taking place, I took these two photos two hours ago at Wormleighton. A large part of the tree clearance work was done months ago and the forestry workers were there today finishing off. There are loads of temporary roadways on the site which weren't there a couple of weeks ago and more lorryloads arriving while I was there. This site will eventually be a cutting with four tracks in it, two maintenance loops outside the running lines. The road I'm standing on will be diverted to the other side of the cutting, about where the line of trees is in the second photo. HS2 roughly folows the line of the temporay roadway you can see in the photos.View attachment 91066View attachment 91067View attachment 91066
Great pictures (if you support HS2 lol). Yes from that it certainly does look like a lot of work is now taking place.

PeterC

Established Member
Easy, office types don't take formal time-out in a canteen or restaurant but forget that about all those little strolls to the water cooler or loo. They forget that drivers / operators need to have those little PNBs programmed in to the working day as they can't just stroll off for a few minutes.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Thank you very much for the response. How do we all think the service to OOC will go? It will be quite inconvenient for many in the north west to transfer trains when they get there. Will they be able to hop onto an Elizabeth Line train into central London? I wonder if it will put any people off.
Not really all that different to having to get on the Tube upon arrival at Euston - after all, how many people are heading to somewhere within walking distance of Euston when they get a train there?

miami

Established Member

Far nicer to change onto a crossrail at OOC than cram down to an overcrowded Northern, or worse Victoria line at Euston.

Surely crossrail will be open by 2028?!

itfcfan

Far nicer to change onto a crossrail at OOC than cram down to an overcrowded Northern, or worse Victoria line at Euston.

Surely crossrail will be open by 2028?!
I haven't seen an estimate for when the Crossrail station at OOC is planned to open. I don't know how much infrastructure work is planned/required between Westbourne Park and OOC to allow Paddington terminators (from Shenfield / Abbey Wood) to reach OOC. Presumably that would be a prerequisite even for opening a limited HS2 service to OOC?

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
It will be convenient for anyone aiming for a destination on the Elizabeth line, obviously. Less so for many other destinations.

Not really all that different to having to get on the Tube upon arrival at Euston - after all, how many people are heading to somewhere within walking distance of Euston when they get a train there?

I do! The last TfL survey showed that around half of people arriving at Euston went forward by the Underground.

Larkhall

It will be convenient for anyone aiming for a destination on the Elizabeth line, obviously. Less so for many other destinations.

I do! The last TfL survey showed that around half of people arriving at Euston went forward by the Underground.

Did the same survey also happen to mention how many head down Euston Rd to St Pancras for Eurostar? The OOC to St Pancras journey, even with Elizabeth line, won't be painless

D365

Veteran Member
Did the same survey also happen to mention how many head down Euston Rd to St Pancras for Eurostar? The OOC to St Pancras journey, even with Elizabeth line, won't be painless
Nobody would be travelling OOC to STP. Admittedly, with Crossrail 2 postponed indefinitely, there may need to be a standalone project to better connect the two termini. Obviously this is a discussion that belongs in Speculative Ideas.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member

Well it said how many head for the Kings X / St Pancras areas, including the offices thereabouts, and it’s about 1,000. I suspect that perhaps no more than 5% of them are heading for Eurostar.

Skie

If you're heading for South London then it's either Victoria Line to Victoria, or the much more pleasant walk to St. Pancakes and onto Thameslink. Top tip: Dont walk on Euston Road, go out the side of Euston and down past Roti King (which is fab), enjoy the walk through some classic London blocks of flats and then alongside the Francis Crick institute. Much quicker!

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers

Great pictures (if you support HS2 lol). Yes from that it certainly does look like a lot of work is now taking place.

Yes the Elizabeth line will be fully operational by then. Only 5 minutes* to Paddington for Bakerloo to Victoria and SE, 11' to Tottenham Court Rd (walkable to "central") and 15' to Farringdon for the airports

*all timings approximate I used Acton Main Line for the timings on the crossrail website.

Status
Not open for further replies.