• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HS2 construction updates

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Ahaha, wow. Multiple sources - thanks!
Multiple sources for a theoretical tunnelling rate.
Remembering the Channel Tunnel, we need actual TBM positions, and rates are likely to be low to begin with and accelerate as the teams get more efficient.
What I suppose we can say is that Florence must have passed under the M25 zone, as they are not permitted to have both TBMs operating under it at the same time.

Ethan1852

The HS2 website has a tunnelling tracker, you have to zoom in to the Chiltern Tunnel. It was updated yesterday - 360m have been dug

Thank you so much.

Current TBM Status As of 1st July 2021

TBM NameTunnelling StatusLaunch date*^1Distance Tunnelled*^2Days Since Launch
FlorenceTunnelling13 May 2021360 Meters 0.223694 Miles49 Days
CeciliaTunnelling1 July 2021N/AToday

*^1 Might not be 100% correct. Based on HS2 Press releases.
*^2 Information from https://www.hs2.org.uk/in-your-area/map/#16/51.6130/-0.5241/filter=hs2-stations,hs2-network. Correct as of 30 June 2021.

I have updated the table with the tunnelled distance.

Last edited:

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
On a different tack, I walked past where platforms 17&18 at Euston were today, and the adjacent streets. There is now a very big hole there!

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
The HS2 website has a tunnelling tracker, you have to zoom in to the Chiltern Tunnel. It was updated yesterday - 360m have been dug
That's the stuff.
The web page says the TBM trains are 170m long, so just over 2 TBM lengths have been dug.
The picture of the portal (link in #933) appears to show the back end of Florence inside the tunnel, so the business end must have been 200m or so in.

Last edited:

snowball

Established Member
I am not on Twitter or any social media, but many thanks for attempting to answer the question I had posted.
Neither am I but a lot of links to Twitter, including this one, work for me.
We’ve launched Cecilia - our second tunnel boring machine. Named after Cecilia Payne-Gaposchkin, the pioneering astronomer and astrophysicist, it will dig the second of the Chilterns tunnel bores.

Mikey C

Established Member
I drove over that section of the M25 yesterday, so would have gone over the first tunnel!

Smaller HS2 worksites are all along the route, I've come across a few whether walking in the Chilterns - Aylesbury, south of Wendover, Great Missenden - or in NW London near West Ruislip

kevin_roche

Florence seems to have started slowly. I thought it was going to manage a furlong per fortnight.

stuu

Established Member
Florence seems to have started slowly. I thought it was going to manage a furlong per fortnight.
They always start slowly, and I would expect they were very cautious going under the M25. Once under open countryside and systems are all working and everyone is on the ball they will almost certainly speed up

hwl

Established Member
A lot need doing to the after the initial push (e.g. removing the extra initial rings) and getting all the pipework set up and preparing the second one for launch gets in the way of the logistics of feeding the first effectively. The real progress starts when both are full ready and you want a 200m gap is normally the minimum.

mwmbwls

Is this machine named after the Simon and Garfunkel song of the same name (also covered by Suggs from Madness in 1995)?
One day you may well find a question about this asked in a pub quiz.
The answer is "The Chiltern TBMs are named after astronomer and astrophysicist, Cecilia Payne-Gaposchkin, who was born in Buckinghamshire, and nurse Florence Nightingale, who lived in the county at one time." Jus be careful not to get the Thames Tideway or Crossrail TBM's mixed up with HS2

vic-rijrode

I drove over that section of the M25 yesterday, so would have gone over the first tunnel!

Smaller HS2 worksites are all along the route, I've come across a few whether walking in the Chilterns - Aylesbury, south of Wendover, Great Missenden - or in NW London near West Ruislip
I have driven over the 2 tunnels for the northbound Northern Line extension to Bushey Heath many times - until the Chiltern TBMs emerge at the other end I will not celebrate...

1625257863611.png

Jozhua

Established Member
Looking at the overhead images, you see how the line is literally the width of your average A-road! Impressively will carry more people than your average motorway and free up similar capacity on the rest of our rail network. It'll be interesting to watch the TBMs progress, things are beginning to look like a railway!

Jozhua

Established Member
Are there any plans to produce shows about the construction, like with Crossrail?

Might have the advantage of bringing the public on side a bit more.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Are there any plans to produce shows about the construction, like with Crossrail?

I hope so. Not that it'll stop the usual suspects debunking it as "propaganda" etc etc.

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor

I'm sure there will be something. Probably broadcast nearer the time of completion though, as with Crossrail, even if footage starts being recorded now. Always more interesting if you can show something that vaguely looks like a railway rather than some fields.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I'm sure there will be something. Probably broadcast nearer the time of completion though, as with Crossrail, even if footage starts being recorded now. Always more interesting if you can show something that vaguely looks like a railway rather than some fields.
I hope it’s not the usual channel 5 “artificial jeopardy“ style documentary, you know the sort of thing, “come back after the adverts to see if the entire M25 caved in”… o_O

Mikey C

Established Member
I hope it’s not the usual channel 5 “artificial jeopardy“ style documentary, you know the sort of thing, “come back after the adverts to see if the entire M25 caved in”… o_O
:E

Mind you, they could have done that for Crossrail

"Will they bring Crossrail in on time and budget? Find out after the break."

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
:E

Mind you, they could have done that for Crossrail

"Will they bring Crossrail in on time and budget? Find out after the break."
I remember one episode, it was ”will they avoid the Northern Line tunnels where trains are still running“…

Status
Not open for further replies.