• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HS2 construction updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

TheHSRailFan

Something I'm genuinely curious about and would like to see after Dorothy is transferred back up to the north portal is a walk-through of the completed tunnel considering how short it is.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tspaul26

Established Member
I'm guessing it'll be the second one, because based on the amount of work that's already happened at Bromford east portal, I'd have thought that the portal will be ready before the second Long Itchington bore is complete
The district council is trying to block approval of the remaining Bromford tunnel works so potential delays are in prospect.

All this will achieve, of course, is extra cost at the end of the day.

tspaul26

Established Member
What spurious reason(s) are they citing to justify blocking the works?
In general terms, their argument is that the extension to the tunnel is outwith the scope of the works authorised by the Act and, accordingly, a separate planning consent is required accompanied by a full environmental impact assessment.

Needless to say, HS2 does not agree with this.

I daresay it will end up back in court before the year is out.

ABB125

Established Member
In general terms, their argument is that the extension to the tunnel is outwith the scope of the works authorised by the Act and, accordingly, a separate planning consent is required accompanied by a full environmental impact assessment.

You'd have though that a longer tunnel would be preferable for numerous reasons, amongst which I believe the original plan had the line going through a nature reserve (the green area around the River Tame south and east of Castle Vale). Surely the line no longer going through the nature reserve is better?
Oh wait - NIMBYs don't see logic like this... :D

Yindee8191

Hang on, so they’re objecting to the scheme being made *less* destructive to the built environment in the area?

snowball

Established Member
Authority for the change to the Bromford Tunnel is being sought under the auspices of a Transport and Works Act Order (TWOA.)

And the specific link for the order being applied for is here:

I believe the cutter head and associated bits will be removed and taken back to the start by road, but the majority of the machine will be pulled back through.

Yes, the machine will then be used to note one of the two Bromford tunnels. I'm guessing it'll be the second one, because based on the amount of work that's already happened at Bromford east portal, I'd have thought that the portal will be ready before the second Long Itchington bore is complete

Incidentally, there's already a few bits of a TBM on site at Water Orton.

They can be seen in this vid at about 1m24s onwards...

snowball

Established Member
Good to see this country still can do some great contructions.

Meanwhile, the anti-HS2 groups remains persistent and continues to call for donations.
A web search for the name of the group reveals that it's at Swynnerton, so on phase 2a.

IIRC the "Bluebell Woods" (Swynnerton) camp got evicted a few weeks ago with little, if any, media attention. This was the last (of very few) "protest camps" along the line of route. For anyone wanting more details on protestor activity, rail journalist Paul Bigland blogs (and Tweets) on the subject from time to time - one could do worse than look through his blog site.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
IIRC the "Bluebell Woods" (Swynnerton) camp got evicted a few weeks ago with little, if any, media attention. This was the last (of very few) "protest camps" along the line of route. For anyone wanting more details on protestor activity, rail journalist Paul Bigland blogs (and Tweets) on the subject from time to time - one could do worse than look through his blog site.
If anyone doesn’t already know he has had a thread here for a few years linking to his blog:

Yindee8191

Walked over to the Colne Valley Viaduct site today (a bit of a trek from Denham station!) and it looks like they’re making good progress. The section on either side of the first pier is finished and there are (by my reckoning) only two segments left to place on the next section.
The HS2 works tracker suggests that the North Orbital/A412 is to be closed at night starting on the 19th, so I’m guessing that’s when they’ll start to build the span that crosses the road.

Attachments

• C7A592B8-8656-4BDC-8377-1A54BB93E536.jpeg
    C7A592B8-8656-4BDC-8377-1A54BB93E536.jpeg
    2.1 MB · Views: 229
  • 53A00468-AB04-4CC6-A9AA-571EF1107F3F.jpeg
    53A00468-AB04-4CC6-A9AA-571EF1107F3F.jpeg
    3 MB · Views: 229

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
Fantastic pics. I’m going to have to find myself a cycling route in that direction!

Yindee8191

Fantastic pics. I’m going to have to find myself a cycling route in that direction!
Thanks!
Unfortunately it’s a pretty difficult area to get to! Unless you want to cycle on the A412, which I doubt would be pleasant. In a year or so they ought to be passing over the Grand Union Canal towpath though, so I’m sure there’ll be good shots to be had then.

vic-rijrode

Thanks!
Unfortunately it’s a pretty difficult area to get to! Unless you want to cycle on the A412, which I doubt would be pleasant. In a year or so they ought to be passing over the Grand Union Canal towpath though, so I’m sure there’ll be good shots to be had then.
The A412 used to be my main route for work from Watford to Slough a few years back. It was not a nice road for cyclists or pedestrians even then - it's undoubtedly worse now. Having moved away some 300 miles or so, I find it hard to believe that so much activity and construction work is going on now in what is (or was) a lovely, peaceful valley. Having said that, the kit being used to place these segments is awesome and the viaduct (bridge or whatever) when complete will look fantastic. I just hope I live long enough to be able to travel over it.

Incidentally, I used to live for a time in Buckingham and travelled through Winslow many times, looking down at what is now the EWR and was once a tree and bush infested narrow corridor, looking more like a nature reserve. Then I lived close to Brackley (and look what they're now doing just north of there).

Maybe I need to move to an area which needs its rail links restored, then move away so that construction can start!!

Mods please feel free to move this comment if necessary. My last misplaced post, on digital v. physical tickets, started a thread that is now 550 posts long and still going!

Yindee8191

The A412 used to be my main route for work from Watford to Slough a few years back. It was not a nice road for cyclists or pedestrians even then - it's undoubtedly worse now. Having moved away some 300 miles or so, I find it hard to believe that so much activity and construction work is going on now in what is (or was) a lovely, peaceful valley. Having said that, the kit being used to place these segments is awesome and the viaduct (bridge or whatever) when complete will look fantastic. I just hope I live long enough to be able to travel over it.

Incidentally, I used to live for a time in Buckingham and travelled through Winslow many times, looking down at what is now the EWR and was once a tree and bush infested narrow corridor, looking more like a nature reserve. Then I lived close to Brackley (and look what they're now doing just north of there).

Maybe I need to move to an area which needs its rail links restored, then move away so that construction can start!!

Mods please feel free to move this comment if necessary. My last misplaced post, on digital v. physical tickets, started a thread that is now 550 posts long and still going!
To be fair, I was actually surprised at how peaceful the valley still is. I walked down from Tilehouse Lane through the patch of ancient woodland there and the road noise was far more intrusive than the construction work. Admittedly the site where Tilehouse Lane Cutting was being built was a lot less pretty, lots of diggers and piles of mud.

vic-rijrode

To be fair, I was actually surprised at how peaceful the valley still is. I walked down from Tilehouse Lane through the patch of ancient woodland there and the road noise was far more intrusive than the construction work. Admittedly the site where Tilehouse Lane Cutting was being built was a lot less pretty, lots of diggers and piles of mud.
Tilehouse Lane was a "short cut" to work when A412 and M25 were clogged (frequently). One morning as I was driving down it, a Bentley pulled out of the driveway of a large house right in front of me, forcing me to jam on the brakes. It was Paul Daniel and the Lovely Debbie Magee. He's dead now and she'll be very glad she's not living next to HS2 works ...

Half of me wishes that I was still driving that way to see the progress of that awesome viaduct (bridge). The other half is more sensible.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It’s amazing how massive the lifting equipment is for this viaduct compared (for example) to the way the Tyne Wear Metro’s Byker viaduct was built. AFAICS the building process uses a very similar technique, the balanced cantilevers extending simultaneously either side of the piers. So is this massive temporary structure a way of removing almost all risk in a way that wasn’t expected in the 1980s?

Post #1365 has the images.

Are there any bridge builders :D here who could comment?

Yindee8191

It’s amazing how massive the lifting equipment is for this viaduct compared (for example) to the way the Tyne Wear Metro’s Byker viaduct was built. AFAICS the building process uses a very similar technique, the balanced cantilevers extending simultaneously either side of the piers. So is this massive temporary structure a way of removing almost all risk in a way that wasn’t expected in the 1980s?

Post #1365 has the images.

Are there any bridge builders :D here who could comment?
I wonder if it’s just because the concrete segments are bigger and heavier than on the Byker Bridge? Certainly that’s a pretty lightweight structure compared to the Viaduct.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It's not designed specifically for HS2 so I guess it could be over-engineered for the job to some degree, though the segments aren't exactly light…
Ah, that’s a key point I hadn’t appreciated, that it has been and could be used for similar projects in future.

I see in the linked article they mention all the sections being slightly different and “match-casted” to the previous one that they but up against, but AIUI this part of the procedure is in common with many other similar bridges or viaducts that are curved in one or two dimensions.

Hence about the only remarkable feature of this viaduct is its length. Even so I’ve no doubt they’ll take every opportunity to issue exaggerated PR about it…

najaB

Veteran Member
I see in the linked article they mention all the sections being slightly different and “match-casted” to the previous one that they but up against, but AIUI this part of the procedure is in common with many other similar bridges or viaducts that are curved in one or two dimensions.
Yes and no. I believe the degree to which they are match casting is more than in most bridges where the individual segments are more uniform.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Ah, that’s a key point I hadn’t appreciated, that it has been and could be used for similar projects in future.

Hence about the only remarkable feature of this viaduct is its length. Even so I’ve no doubt they’ll take every opportunity to issue exaggerated PR about it…
I don't think the match casting of itself affects the size of the equipment needed to position the segments, and nor is it particularly related to whether the bridge is curved. The process just involves a segment being cast against its predecessor on the ground, separated by something resembling clingfilm. Once the new segment is sufficiently cured to hold its shape, and the predecessor sufficiently to withstand the stresses of being lifted and in position, then that can take place. Each segment is re-united with its predecessor during assembly of the bridge itself and the match-casting ensures they fit exactly.

Do an image search for "Riyadh Metro Viaduct Construction" for pictures of a very similar operation there. There will be many others too.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I don't think the match casting of itself affects the size of the equipment needed to position the segments, and nor is it particularly related to whether the bridge is curved. The process just involves a segment being cast against its predecessor on the ground, separated by something resembling clingfilm. Once the new segment is sufficiently cured to hold its shape, and the predecessor sufficiently to withstand the stresses of being lifted and in position, then that can take place. Each segment is re-united with its predecessor during assembly of the bridge itself and the match-casting ensures they fit exactly.

Do an image search for "Riyadh Metro Viaduct Construction" for pictures of a very similar operation there. There will be many others too.
Yes, I also saw a Byker Viaduct construction video on YouTube a while ago which was fairly informative about match casting, although I don’t think they actually used that term. The lifting rig was noticeably simpler.

What I’m getting at though is that no matter how they spin it, there‘s nothing particularly different about what HS2 are doing.

Snow1964

Established Member
Government has just published review of Crewe-Manchester section dated April 2022

Affordability​

Removing the Golborne Link from the hybrid bill reduces the overall cost range of the scheme from £15 billion-£22 billion to about £13 billion-£19 billion.

The government is committed to exploring alternatives that provide similar benefits to the Golborne Link within the £96 billion envelope of the Integrated Rail Plan. Analysis suggests that there are credible alternatives to the Golborne Link that range from providing more benefits at a higher cost to those that provide fewer benefits at a lower cost.

Conclusion​

On the basis set out in the accounting officer assessment, I note that:

The decision to retain or remove the Golborne Link should take a range of factors into account including funding, impact on the business case and delivery of the government’s wider strategic aims for the scheme.

Removing the Golborne Link reduces both the costs and the benefits of the Crewe to Manchester scheme. The reference case BCR is 0.7 to 0.9, depending on whether a 60 or 100 year appraisal period is used. However not all benefits of the scheme are captured within the BCR.

The VfM for the HS2 network, with or without the Golborne Link, is still expected to deliver a BCR above 1.

The wider strategic case for the both Crewe to Manchester and the wider network, which is built upon increased connectivity in the North, remains largely intact if the Golborne Link is removed.

The government has decided it wishes to consider affordable alternatives to the Golborne Link that maintain or improve overall VfM. Removing the Golborne Link at this stage means it is no longer part of the principle of the bill. This allows this work to continue while retaining optionality (as retaining the Golborne Link in the bill would, in effect, create a commitment to build it).

Work is at an early stage on alternatives and the costs and benefits of such options are currently uncertain. It would be possible to reintroduce the Golborne Link by a separate process if no viable alternative is identified, though this would incur additional costs.

There are no reasons of propriety or legality why the government
should not take the decision to remove the Golborne Link from the bill.

On this basis and the assumption that further work on alternatives will be based on options that present equal or better value for money as other outcomes, I conclude that removing the Golborne Link from the current HS2 Crewe to Manchester Bill and continuing with investment in the Crewe to Manchester scheme, should Parliament agree, is consistent with official guidance on managing public money.

Status
Not open for further replies.