• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HS2 construction updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
If so, that would be quite a screw up. This country really needs to learn the meaning of passive provision. I suspect the next opportunity to rectify things would be when and if North Pole depot becomes life expired, as they could build another pair of platforms and shuffle things down.

But there has to be a limit on ‘passive provision’ based on opportunity cost vs likelihood of future benefit. You could passively* provide for all sorts of things, but if the cost of doing so is significant now, and the benefit is relatively small, in the future, and uncertain, then a decision needs to be made.

*passive provision is often a misnomer. In its truest sense passive provision means not doing anything that might in future hinder future development, so long as it doesn’t cost anything extra. In this case, it would almost certainly have to be ‘active’ provision, ie something would have to be done to allow for it in future.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Not without knocking down a tranche of properties in Wells House Road (and a new bridge) for the approach tracks
Time to let this go - a Chiltern line platform at Old Oak just isn't going to happen no matter how hard we might wish for it. (Though that's a statement that may not age well!)
I'd guess it's just possible they could squeeze in a platform on the site of the old "halt" to the south of Wells House Road triangle but that's about it.

Worth noting as well, as much as we love trains and track on here, there are other valuable uses of inner London land.

Which also benefit the railway in bringing more passengers in. Especially where there is capacity to receive those passengers, such as a major interchange station right next door.

Mintona

Established Member
I’m also interested to know what the source for that is.

I saw it on Twitter this morning but after some searching I’m struggling to find it now, so it’s possible the author has deleted and/or I got the wrong end of the stick. Apologies.

Roast Veg

Established Member
I'd be particularly surprised if the best connection between HS2 and Heathrow didn't come to pass.

Yindee8191

I’m also interested to know what the source for that is.
I believe that refers to this article https://www.newcivilengineer.com/la...eal-but-warns-it-may-never-happen-29-09-2021/

Network Rail has put contractors on notice for a £200M project at Old Oak Common station – but admitted it may not ever happen.
The infrastructure operator published an official notice saying the rail systems design and build package at the West London High Speed 2 hub would be put to market in November.

But it added that the works “may not be instructed at all” and stressed that supplier participation in procurement events was “undertaken at their own risk”.

Not sure if it was cleared up as just part of regular contract-speak or if there’s a genuine threat to the GWML station.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Not sure if it was cleared up as just part of regular contract-speak or if there’s a genuine threat to the GWML station.

I'm hoping contract-speak and nothing more. The GWML station would be a very bizarre thing to delete at such a late stage, given the proportion of HS2 passengers expected to change onto Crossrail.

barbette165

It's just contract speak, I often see similar statements in tenders I work on (in the telecoms field). It's just avoiding giving any commitment that one of the submissions will be accepted.

Yindee8191

It's just contract speak, I often see similar statements in tenders I work on (in the telecoms field). It's just avoiding giving any commitment that one of the submissions will be accepted.
That’s good to hear. It did seem like an incredibly stupid idea to get rid of the GWML station, especially considering the initial opening is just going to be OOC - Birmingham.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
For starters, if it's NR procuring it, that will in itself be dependent on DfT releasing the funds, so NR need a "get out" if this doesn't happen.

mr_jrt

Established Member
But there has to be a limit on ‘passive provision’ based on opportunity cost vs likelihood of future benefit. You could passively* provide for all sorts of things, but if the cost of doing so is significant now, and the benefit is relatively small, in the future, and uncertain, then a decision needs to be made.

*passive provision is often a misnomer. In its truest sense passive provision means not doing anything that might in future hinder future development, so long as it doesn’t cost anything extra. In this case, it would almost certainly have to be ‘active’ provision, ie something would have to be done to allow for it in future.
Oh, absolutely. In this specific example, laying out the open area between the GWML and HS2 so that you could fit a pair of platforms and the approach lines would fall into that remit in my mind, though. You're not actively building a pair of suspiciously platform-shaped raised areas and some shelters that look suspiciously like canopies, you're just not plonking anything more substantial than a flowerbed or a path in the way of where they would have to go.

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
"Florence" has completed the first mile of the Chiltern tunnels.
#chilterntunnel - Twitter Search / Twitter
The first enormous 2,000 tonne tunnelling machine passed the one mile mark this week during the construction of the first tunnels for HS2 - Britain’s new high speed rail link between London, Birmingham and the north.
The regular progress report on TBM positions hasn't been updated since September 3, but Florence must be past the 1 mile mark (1609m).
The Twitter link contains photos and a video fly-through of the completed section.

Edit: The TBM positions were updated today (Oct 1).
Florence is at 1641m, Cecilia 1010m.
In Your Area Map | High Speed 2 (hs2.org.uk)

Last edited:

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Can we keep this thread dedicated to HS2 construction updates please; I've just had to move some posts to the Speculative Ideas section.

Also if anyone is making reference to any external source or has any news to post here, we ask that a link to, and quote from, a relevant source be provided please.

Ethan1852

Current TBM Status As of 1st October 2021

TBM NameTunnelling StatusLaunch date*^1Distance Tunnelled*^2Distance Remaining*^2Days Since Launch
FlorenceTunnelling13 May 20211641 Meters 14.35 Km142 Days
CeciliaTunnelling1 July 20211010 Meters14.99 Km93 Days

*^1 Might not be 100% correct. Based on HS2 Press releases.
*^2 Information from https://www.hs2.org.uk/in-your-area/map/#16/51.6130/-0.5241/filter=hs2-stations,hs2-network. Correct as of 1st October 2021.

Jozhua

Established Member
Heard the Colne Valley Viaduct is under construction! Nice to see the project picking up the pace.

I hope they sort out what they are going to do with the Euston platforms - In that they should stick with 18 been as they are spending £100bn anyway... saves knocking stuff down to add it back in the future.

Integrated rail plan should help establish what is going to happen with the Eastern leg as well. I will be disappointed if they go for the Western/NPR solution, because it will be another poor deal for the East Midlands - but the region I'm sure is used to being overlooked anyway... No doubt the local NIMBYs will be happy though!
Current TBM Status As of 1st October 2021

TBM NameTunnelling StatusLaunch date*^1Distance Tunnelled*^2Distance Remaining*^2Days Since Launch
FlorenceTunnelling13 May 20211641 Meters14.35 Km142 Days
CeciliaTunnelling1 July 20211010 Meters14.99 Km93 Days

*^1 Might not be 100% correct. Based on HS2 Press releases.
*^2 Information from https://www.hs2.org.uk/in-your-area/map/#16/51.6130/-0.5241/filter=hs2-stations,hs2-network. Correct as of 1st October 2021.
How long will the boring take? I've heard three years. Will they be on track at this speed? Seems like they may end up averaging a higher speed as they progress further on.

stuu

Established Member
The tunnel boring is going to take about three years. The estimate was based on averaging 15m per day, they start slowly and speed up. They are doing pretty much that rate now

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I hope they sort out what they are going to do with the Euston platforms - In that they should stick with 18 been as they are spending £100bn anyway... saves knocking stuff down to add it back in the future.
The plan is for 11 platforms, maybe reduced to 10, to handle 18 trains per hour. Nobody has proposed 18 platforms as far as I'm aware.

Jozhua

Established Member
The plan is for 11 platforms, maybe reduced to 10, to handle 18 trains per hour. Nobody has proposed 18 platforms as far as I'm aware.
My mistake! Well they should stick with 11 ;)

The tunnel boring is going to take about three years. The estimate was based on averaging 15m per day, they start slowly and speed up. They are doing pretty much that rate now
Cheers - yeah that makes sense! I guess it will slightly change depending on ground conditions as encountered as well.

hwl

Established Member
My mistake! Well they should stick with 11 ;)

Cheers - yeah that makes sense! I guess it will slightly change depending on ground conditions as encountered as well.
While they have said 3 years it should be less in reality. The start is always slow especially when launching a pair but the new TBM are (some of?) the first to have a new concrete tunnel segment handling system that is quicker/safer/more productive than the older more manual way of doing things which should make the progress rate faster as the stopped period while the assemble a new ring and aren't pushing forward is quicker, the more public timing estimates are based on conservative productivity improvements. The steady state progress rate is already on track for completion in faster than 3 years. The segment manufacture rate could well end up being the limiting factor.
In terms of extraction they use a slurry system where the material is piped out rather than a mix of conveyors or narrow gauge railway so the logistic challenges won't be as large as some previous schemes.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
The segment manufacture rate could well end up being the limiting factor.

I suspect it will be segment delivery to the business end when the tunnel is approaching completion. Getting them 8-10 miles through the tunnel will take rather longer than it does now!

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
TBM progress in September was less than previously posted, at 13.25 and 10.71 metres per day (28 days).
This could be for any number of reasons, from ground conditions to production delays to staff shortages.
The Channel Tunnel TBMs stopped now and again for a week or so for TBM repairs and upgrades, so it's not a uniform pattern.
The next main critical construction point is the start of the 13km Northolt drives for the next pair of TBMs from Old Oak.
The aim is for all the TBMs to finish boring around the same time in 2024.

jfowkes

I suspect it will be segment delivery to the business end when the tunnel is approaching completion. Getting them 8-10 miles through the tunnel will take rather longer than it does now!
It's never been clear to me how the segments are delivered to the machine and how they're handled when they get there. All the videos and pictures I've seen show the machine is a really tight packed space that doesn't seem big enough to store/manoeuvre many more than a few tunnel segments. I guess it must be a "just in time" kind of thing in terms of delivery to the machine.

hwl

Established Member
Agreed that it gets worse the longer it gets but they aren't trying to transport spoil back in the other direction too on wheel vehicles.

For 15m per day pace that requires 3.75 deliveries from the tunnel service vehicle (1 ring worth of segments at time) so @ 6 hours per return trip (1 vehicle per tunnel) shouldn't be pushing it, even allowing a very generous for 1 hour loading or unloading at each end still only needs the vehicles to move at brisk walking pace at the far end of the tunnel.

Bald Rick

Veteran Member
It's never been clear to me how the segments are delivered to the machine and how they're handled when they get there. All the videos and pictures I've seen show the machine is a really tight packed space that doesn't seem big enough to store/manoeuvre many more than a few tunnel segments. I guess it must be a "just in time" kind of thing in terms of delivery to the machine.

A complete ring is transported from the segment storage compound near the tunnel mouth to the head of the TBM on a ‘Multi Service Vehicle’. This is a purpose built, double ended* vehicle that holds segments, but can also transport the tunnellers, and the other equipment to and from the TBM (takes in pipesork to extend the slurry system, ducting for air, cabling for power, spare parts, and of course all the non-tunnelling waste generated.

*double ended in that it can be driven from either end; no room to turn in the tunnel of course.

I don’t know what the speed limit for these vehicles in the tunnel is, but if it is, say, 20mph it will be taking half an hour to get each way when the tunnel is nearly finished.

For 15m per day pace that requires 3.75 deliveries from the tunnel service vehicle (1 ring worth of segments at time) so @ 6 hours per return trip (1 vehicle per tunnel) shouldn't be pushing it, even allowing a very generous for 1 hour loading or unloading at each end still only needs the vehicles to move at brisk walking pace at the far end of the tunnel.

I thought each ring was 2m worth of tunnel (7 segments, 28 m circumference of tunnel, 4mx2m in size).

7.5 deliveries a day, but I agree 3 hours should be enough. But that extra hour or so for the transport will make it tighter.

Last edited:

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I think the animations in this video give a reasonable idea. There’s effectively a slot through the rear section of the TBM “tail” that the segments can pass through, (on the multi service vehicle @Bald Rick mentioned), then they’re rotated 90° and passed forward underneath the front part of the TBM, until they get to the erector.

Yindee8191

TBM progress in September was less than previously posted, at 13.25 and 10.71 metres per day (28 days).
This could be for any number of reasons, from ground conditions to production delays to staff shortages.
The Channel Tunnel TBMs stopped now and again for a week or so for TBM repairs and upgrades, so it's not a uniform pattern.
The next main critical construction point is the start of the 13km Northolt drives for the next pair of TBMs from Old Oak.
Do you (or anyone else for that matter) happen to know when the Northolt TBMs are expected to launch?

LNW-GW Joint

Veteran Member
Do you (or anyone else for that matter) happen to know when the Northolt TBMs are expected to launch?
I think I've seen reference to "early in the new year", but not really sure.
It all depends on progress with the Old Oak site down to the tunnel level, and I've got no feel for that.
It's not that long since the station construction work started.
The Euston tunnels will also be bored from there, but they are shorter and are not critical to Phase 1 completion.

RPM

Established Member
I thought the Northolt tunnels were being bored in the southbound direction from West Ruislip?

hwl

Established Member
I thought each ring was 2m worth of tunnel (7 segments, 28 m circumference of tunnel, 4mx2m in size).

7.5 deliveries a day, but I agree 3 hours should be enough. But that extra hour or so for the transport will make it tighter.
Oops they are 2m (mental arithmetic minus coffee never a good idea). The cargo MSVs have two trailer segments one set up for segments and the other for grout and other supplies. They can/could have a third trailer segment added.

Delivery of the segments from the factory on the Isle of Grain to West Ruislip is due to start in January which suggests Feb or March tunnelling start.

Status
Not open for further replies.