• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HS2 construction updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

marko2

The only real beneficiaries of all these political games is the lawyers and civil servants who get some extra work producing additional bits of paper. Anyone thinking the Schedule 17 mechanism provides a way to torpedo HS2 is going to be sadly mistaken.

Indeed, but there are people out there - such as Chris Packham, willing to clutch at more straws than an onanising scarecrow. They'll no doubt continue until the project is complete. It will be fascinating to see whether they make use of the new services.

If the government is serious about reducing the cost of infrastructure projects it needs to limit the potential for these types of actions.

It's worth pointing out that if Hillingdon is making unlawful planning decisions it will be local tax-payers who will pick up the legal fees for the resulting legal challenges.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Geezertronic

Established Member
The new bridge over the M42 by Interchange was installed at the weekend finishing a whopping 22 hours ahead of schedule. As a local, I am really interested in how the area around Interchange is progressing - I cannot quite work it out in my head how it will look after the work is complete, but it is good to see the first piece go into place

edwin_m

Veteran Member
The new bridge over the M42 by Interchange was installed at the weekend finishing a whopping 22 hours ahead of schedule. As a local, I am really interested in how the area around Interchange is progressing - I cannot quite work it out in my head how it will look after the work is complete, but it is good to see the first piece go into place
See plan below. As far as I can make out, HS2 takes out the existing roundabout that straddles the M42 but doesn't have sliproads. The structure that has just been put into place is the "A452 Link Road Overbridge", part of the highway network to replace it.

Geezertronic

Established Member

CW2

Established Member
HS2 have unveiled their two new tunnel boring machines for the Chiltern tunnels. More details and article on the BBC Website

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Thanks, looks like a lot of road changes in that area
I think the amount of detail in the drawing makes it look a lot more complex than it really is. After a few minutes study I think it simplifies down to moving the functions of that existing roundabout over the M42 a few hundred yards to the right, (south) then re-routing all the existing slip roads to suit its new position, and providing the link road over this new bridge.

But the drawing still has all the old routes as well as the new ones showing. I wonder if it would actually be clearer to show separate before and after versions?

Geogregor

TBM finished:

https://twitter.com/HS2ltd/status/1293087315498328065

EfH24IiWAAACXa_

EfIyZogX0AAAVCQ

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It would for me :)
It would probably look more like progress being made wouldn't it. I expect it will all gradually open and people will become familiar with the various routes some years before the final links towards the station actually open, (other than for site traffic).

It's pretty much as you describe,; the "Chester Road" roundabout above the M42 is essentially being moved into the area of the Interchange station "triangle" of land, and the connecting roads amended accordingly.

This article from Birmingham Live has a fly through of the revised road layout and some narrative describing it... https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/midlands-news/flythrough-video-reveals-how-hs2-18733110

If you want the really gorey details, the following planning applications lodged with Solihull MBC have lots of plans, some of which still have the "layers" active if you download them into Acrobat reader, thence you can pick it apart and see how the new infrastructure overlays the present: PL/2019/02763/HS2DIS PL/2019/02763/HS2DIS

https://publicaccess.solihull.gov.uk/online-applications/advancedSearchResults.do?action=firstPage
https://publicaccess.solihull.gov.uk/online-applications/advancedSearchResults.do?action=firstPage

swt_passenger

Veteran Member

D365

Veteran Member
Plans submitted for the re-alignment of Old Oak Common Lane suggest that the route is to be permanently severed. The location of the bridge abutments in the plans linked below suggests to me there is no imminent plan to reinstate the route, let alone double it.

I was under the impression that the "New North" lines were to be reinstated in any case. Following the decision to put HS2 into tunnel immediately north of OOC.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
I was under the impression that the "New North" lines were to be reinstated in any case. Following the decision to put HS2 into tunnel immediately north of OOC.
As far as I know it's not feasible to re-connect to the Paddington lines as part of the station is in the way, but I believe they have found a way to provide a terminating platform somewhere near the OOC station.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
As far as I know it's not feasible to re-connect to the Paddington lines as part of the station is in the way, but I believe they have found a way to provide a terminating platform somewhere near the OOC station.
I tried going through the alternative provisions stuff (AP 1-5), as I’m sure there were drawings of what they finally came up with in that area; but it’s proving pretty difficult to find at the moment. The HS2 website isn’t exactly intuitive, or hierarchical...

The Planner

Veteran Member
I am not sure the suggestions for getting Chiltern into OOC were ever in the APs. The last sketch I saw, some while ago, was a single platform skirting the Up Relief in the station and that was after the last AP.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I am not sure the suggestions for getting Chiltern into OOC were ever in the APs. The last sketch I saw, some while ago, was a single platform skirting the Up Relief in the station and that was after the last AP.

Presumably, it's not a formal part of the HS2 scheme? E.g. it would be required to environmentally and economically assess the reinstated train service via Park Royal if platforms were "officially" included?

It's more an "aspiration to use some land that's left once HS2 is built"?

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Presumably, it's not a formal part of the HS2 scheme? E.g. it would be required to environmentally and economically assess the reinstated train service via Park Royal if platforms were "officially" included?

It's more an "aspiration to use some land that's left once HS2 is built"?
Having decided some time ago to build the station, they would do a BCR to compare the benefits of the Chiltern service with the extra costs of running the track into the station and building a platform and an access. Probably not from the HS2 budget, as loading that up with peripheral items would help to fulfil the prophecies of overspend.

pacenotes

Whilst I'm here, I happened across a "photo diary" of HS2 works on The Chiltern Society's web site. I'll link the "front door" below, but it's divided into various locations, just click into each thumbnail and there's a batch of photos behind each one, including (at time of posting) some aerial views of construction sites and plenty of ground level shots of "digger action." I'll resist posting any directly as there's dozens if not hundreds of them to peruse at time of posting (and they are not my images.) Enjoy.

Great website,

Anyone know of other photo diaries or forums who are following the progress?

camflyer

Interesting video from HS2 on the history of Curzon St and the archaeology of the site:

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Just wondering, are the *original* maps and plans still available online anywhere? I'm talking about the original proposals which I think came out some time around 2009/2010 and involved significantly more demolition and significantly fewer tunnels than currently proposed.

camflyer

Just wondering, are the *original* maps and plans still available online anywhere? I'm talking about the original proposals which I think came out some time around 2009/2010 and involved significantly more demolition and significantly fewer tunnels than currently proposed.

I found this from 2010

I don't think the route has changed much (apart from dropping the LHR spur and the HS1-HS2 link) but certainly more tunnelling was added to keep MPs in the shires happy. If the protestors complain about the cost they should be reminded that mitigating their complaints led to a lot of the cost increases.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
I don't think the route has changed much (apart from dropping the LHR spur and the HS1-HS2 link) but certainly more tunnelling was added to keep MPs in the shires happy. If the protestors complain about the cost they should be reminded that mitigating their complaints led to a lot of the cost increases.
Thank you very much. That was exactly what I wanted. It was not so much the alignment I was wondering about, but more the nature of tunnelling etc. As someone who is already suffering a lot from HS2 but getting no benefits I'm just interested in how bad it could have been, and having seen that it would have been much much worse with the line going over ground through much more of London!

camflyer

In project management terms today will just be when the next "statement of work" starts though apart from a ceremonial shovel in the earth nothing changes.

The next big public event will be the launching of the tunnelling machines which is due in "early 2021"

Status
Not open for further replies.