• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HS2 construction updates

Status
Not open for further replies.

jyte

The TBM will take around 5 months to complete the first bore of the twin bore tunnel. Once the first bore is complete, the TBM will be extracted at the South Portal reception box before being transported by road back to the North Portal to commence the second bore. A large portion of the TBM support modules will be drawn back through the bored tunnel before being positioned on the cradle for the second bore.
Standard form press release about the approach to Long Itchington Wood Tunnel here.

Does anyone know if they're using two TBMs for this tunnel, or just one, boring one direction at a time?

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

themiller

Standard form press release about the approach to Long Itchington Wood Tunnel here.

Does anyone know if they're using two TBMs for this tunnel, or just one, boring one direction at a time?
In the article, it says that the TBM will be returned to the start site by road to bore the second tunnel.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

The way the construction site ends so neatly at the tree line of the woods is very impressive.

Roast Veg

Established Member
The way the construction site ends so neatly at the tree line of the woods is very impressive.
Something to help refute the "acres of ancient woodland lost" argument? They clearly aren't chopping down a single tree they didn't need to.

miami

Established Member
Time lapse of Euston Towers being demolished

I believe a lot of the concrete is being reused on site in building the new station

jyte

In the article, it says that the TBM will be returned to the start site by road to bore the second tunnel.
Apologies, I mentally parsed that!

Considering it's length, I suspect the first bore might be the first of any HS2 tunnels completed.

kevin_roche

I guess the reason they can't let it bore in the opposite direction is because the spoil would be coming at the wrong end.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I guess the reason they can't let it bore in the opposite direction is because the spoil would be coming at the wrong end.

Correct; you only want one 'site' to do that from; a return road trip for the TBM isn't a massive deal.

hwl

Established Member
Only the head end of the TBM (circa 12m long) is going back by road. The tail (the long bit that fits inside the tunnel segments) is getting pulled back through the completed tunnel to the stating point. This saves dismantling the tail and turning it round as well.

Depends whether that's done on-site or somewhere else (and delivered by lorry)
In this case the spoil being useful at one end and pain to get rid of at the other (where it emerges into a cutting) probably makes a difference.

DJ_K666

I've been driving my bus past the site recently and there was a lot of what looked like railway ballast being laid down. I do wonder if there'll be a narrow gauge contractors railway used. Maybe this will transport tunnel lining segments and things through the completed first bore.

popeter45

I've been driving my bus past the site recently and there was a lot of what looked like railway ballast being laid down. I do wonder if there'll be a narrow gauge contractors railway used. Maybe this will transport tunnel lining segments and things through the completed first bore.
a narrow gauge transport line is pretty much a given, need to get workers/supplies a few Km into the tunnel near the end and wouldn't want to try my luck with a Bus or lorry to do that

Last edited:

miami

Established Member
Not difficult, Royal Assent is just the Queen saying sure to it, as she isn't elected she doesn't really block any.

1708 the last time that happened, and that was a choice of the government at the time. Will hopefully give more certainty to property owners who are affected. I was amused how this property - https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/87994054#/ - doesn't even mention HS2, despite being about 200 yards from the tunnel at Crewe.

hwl

Established Member
1708 the last time that happened, and that was a choice of the government at the time. Will hopefully give more certainty to property owners who are affected. I was amused how this property - https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/87994054#/ - doesn't even mention HS2, despite being about 200 yards from the tunnel at Crewe.
2a affects far fewer people per route mile than 1 or 2b (East or west) by a long long way.

The Planner

Veteran Member
To be fair, the tunnel is phase 2b and likely still 15 years away. The house owners may not even be aware of it even now.

edwin_m

Veteran Member
Information provided by sellers, such as Rightmove, isn't going to mention any downsides with a particular property. As blight provisions were activated as soon as the route was published, it should show up on property searches.

LM93

Information provided by sellers, such as Rightmove, isn't going to mention any downsides with a particular property. As blight provisions were activated as soon as the route was published, it should show up on property searches.

It's been pretty standard on searches for a number of years, knowing someone who moved 4 years ago, HS2 appeared as a possibility of being in compensation range, despite it being a route that was discarded in favour of the current alignment.

I'd imagine if you currently live in the area, you have probably been contacted by HS2, and if not, definitely STOP HS2!

Horizon22

Established Member
Associate Staff
Jobs & Careers
I noted earlier this week a poster that TfL Rail West were running a reduced early morning service on Sunday 24th (nothing running until 9am) due to "HS2 readiness works". I imagine this must be something to do with OOC, as that's all I can imagine would be impacted - trains coming out of Crossrail's depot by some sort of engineering works or something to do with the GWML relief lines.

Mollman

Established Member
From OOC Station thread

The Victoria Road crossover Box technically isn't Old Oak common, but it's close - it's just to the west of the station

They've finished the sheet piling and are starting construction

Some pictures at

The plans are shown on

It's this part just north of North Acton

View attachment 89350

Status
Not open for further replies.