• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HST accidents

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoeM

I know there have been three major incidents involving HST's in the last 15 years, each resulting in the writing off of a power car (Southall, Ladbroke Grove, and Ufton Nervet).
I used to work with a bloke who grew up in Acton in the 1950's whose Dad was a top link driver on the Western Region, who ended up driving HST's...he told me his dad eventually had to retire after a collision with a track machine...if so, I am assuming it couldn't have been too serious a collision given that up to Southall no other Class 43's had been written off, and there don't seem to be any reports of accidents that I can find. I was wondering if this rang a bell with anyone.
The fellow I used to work with told me he started as an apprentice fireman on the railway but it wasn't for him - he used to get clipped around the earhole when he missed the firebox....he also used to tell of meeting young lady friends in the empty carriages at Old Oak Common....

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

theblackwatch

Established Member
There have been plenty of accidents involving HSTs over the years, even if they did not result in power cars being written off. You really need a date and/or location for the incident you mention. If you can get one, you may be able to find the details within http://www.railwaysarchive.co.uk/

HST Power

Established Member
There was also the Hatfield Train Crash. I do not know what became of the power car but it did of course involve a HST.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
There was also the Hatfield Train Crash. I do not know what became of the power car but it did of course involve a HST.

No it didn't Hatfield was on the ECML and involved an IC225. Actually the locomotive in that crash (91023) would a year later also be propelling the train that crashed at Great Heck and when it was renumbered after an extensive overhaul (not due to the crash I should add) it was renumbered 91132 rather than the number it should have had of 91123.

JoeM

I thought the Hatfield crash involved a 91/Mk 4 set?

I am not sure how to find out the exact date but I am guessing it was fairly early (late 70's perhaps). The chap that told me about it lives in Spain now.

There was an accident involving an HST in Aberdeen the other week. Nothing major , just a minor "kiss" of the buffers.

theblackwatch

Established Member
There was an accident involving an HST in Aberdeen the other week. Nothing major , just a minor "kiss" of the buffers.

43367 involved I believe. Back in the late 1980s I was at Leeds early one morning and saw a HST go through ECS to Bradford Interchange in order to work the Bradford-King's Cross service. It seemed ratherr odd that, an hour later, the train was announced as being 'cancelled'. I soon found out why - the HST reappeared, and the back power car had two large holes in its lower nose end, caused by the buffers at Bradford!

Darandio

Established Member
It's quite surprising how many there are to be honest, even being from the North East, I didn't realise there had been a very large incident involving an HST at Birtley in '84.

Rugd1022

Chances are, your mate's Dad would still have been working on Class 31s, 47s and 50s in between HST turns, we had several links at Old Oak but the work was still spread out across them covering all of the above traction. His collision with the track machine / tamper could have been with any of these classes. I think the youngest Old Oak man at the time to be passed out on HSTs was 24, it caused quite a stir amongst the old hands who were knocking on at 64 / 65!

While I was there, one of the recently passed out drivers drove a HST power car into the closed door of number ten road in The Factory, leaving a large vee shaped dent in the door and a fair bit of damage to the power car.... it was repaired with a new cab and put back into service.

Status
Not open for further replies.