• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HST coach disposals

bramling

Veteran Member
Not aware of anything with first class IC70s having been scrapped there.

Do the earlier 317s have IC70 in first class?

So, you’re given some pretty sound advice as to the most likely way of being successful and instead you decide to contact the least likely source. Words fail me. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

This subject has been done before and it is clear Sims aren’t interested - it’s effectively a production line facility and they are just not in the market of selling bits to the public.

To be fair there’s no harm in the poster attempting to contact Sims, but yes it does seem from past experience they’re not interested, or even positively uninterested.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DB

Do the earlier 317s have IC70 in first class?

Sort of! They are actually what are normally regarded as standard class IC70s (2 + 2). There are also not that many of them and all those available so far have probably been reserved for the prototype mk3.

ChilternTurbo

I have seen Mk.3 and Mk.4 (GWR and LNER) first class seats crop up on eBay over the last year or so. They haven't been cheap though - £300 to £700. Ok they're not IC70 seats but it does show that some parts are salvaged. The sellers of these seem to be dealing with salvage parts on a larger scale and I would think they are known contacts with the likes of Booths.
I would think that the scrapyards would be very reluctant to deal with individuals because of the potential of having their time wasted and to be honest it's probably not worth having their staff spending time removing bits and storing bulky items like seats.

DB

I have seen Mk.3 and Mk.4 (GWR and LNER) first class seats crop up on eBay over the last year or so. They haven't been cheap though - £300 to £700. Ok they're not IC70 seats but it does show that some parts are salvaged. The sellers of these seem to be dealing with salvage parts on a larger scale and I would think they are known contacts with the likes of Booths.
I would think that the scrapyards would be very reluctant to deal with individuals because of the potential of having their time wasted and to be honest it's probably not worth having their staff spending time removing bits and storing bulky items like seats.

Think those came from Booths - who do deal with individuals, although the individuals will probably be expected to go and remove the parts (and take them away) themselves.

father_jack

Has snarled the job up rightly at Cambridge, engine overheating on 510 and then DSD defect after tail gunner put on front. Won't mention cab door broken and driver trapped inside.

On Moderation
Has snarled the job up rightly at Cambridge, engine overheating on 510 and then DSD defect after tail gunner put on front. Won't mention cab door broken and driver trapped inside.
That’s at least the third time 510 has failed recently on such moves. Should send the crate back to Europhoenix.

spotify95

That’s at least the third time 510 has failed recently on such moves. Should send the crate back to Europhoenix.
Maybe 37510 should end up going to Newport SIMS instead of the MK3s! Then use something more reliable to transport the MK3s.

Also, why have they got old Cl 37s when they could be using the 66s that haul most freight around the UK?

DB

Maybe 37510 should end up going to Newport SIMS instead of the MK3s! Then use something more reliable to transport the MK3s.

Also, why have they got old Cl 37s when they could be using the 66s that haul most freight around the UK?

ROG don't have any 66s, and getting hold of any would likely be difficult as they are in demand and no more can be built to the current designs due to changing emissions regulations.

Dave91131

See from a tweet on the Class 315 disposal thread that 41092 has gone by road to Booths, did any others go with it?

Not to my knowledge.

Be interested to know why a single vehicle was taken by road - first thoughts are that it's all Booths wanted / could handle at the time or it was identified as unfit to move by rail to, say, Newport.

DB

Not to my knowledge.

Be interested to know why a single vehicle was taken by road - first thoughts are that it's all Booths wanted / could handle at the time or it was identified as unfit to move by rail to, say, Newport.

There have been a few one offs - for some reason a single ex-GWR Mk3 went by road to a scrapyard in Ilkeston a while back (not a scrapyard normally noted for taking rail vehicles).

Most obvious explanation is that the vehicles aren't fit to travel by rail and the smaller scrapyards offer a better price for a one-off, or are better placed to be able to take it.

tricky18jan

There have been a few one offs - for some reason a single ex-GWR Mk3 went by road to a scrapyard in Ilkeston a while back (not a scrapyard normally noted for taking rail vehicles).

Most obvious explanation is that the vehicles aren't fit to travel by rail and the smaller scrapyards offer a better price for a one-off, or are better placed to be able to take it.
Seen on facebook the coach parked next to shunters at Booth and next to 315 driving car (807) a few comments said this is one of the worst coaches they have received

ChilternTurbo

I notice that some LNER first class seats have turned up on eBay. The single seats are now sold but there's a double available. Judging by the pictures, it looks like they were salvaged from Booths. Hopefully this link to the listing will work:

typetwos

5Q51 09:13 GASWOODGB to NEWPTDKGB 22/02/21
has 66783 with 6393, 41077, 41064, 40749, 42151, 42164, 42165, 42153, 42121, 44054, 41061,6394 & 66749.

spotify95

Well it's now approximately 45 to 50 minutes late according to the Realtime Trains link.

Thank you for letting us know about this move, shame to hear that more MK3 stock is going to scrap.

Also, to whoever posted the link to the 1st class seats, yes the link does work OK, it's a shame that a lot of these coaches are going to Newport instead of other places (such as Booths, which do let individuals salvage components).

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Does anyone know, please, what was on the Leicester to Gas. Wood move? I was under the impression that all the stock as Leicester had a future use, albeit possibly short term.

3973EXL

Established Member
Does anyone know, please, what was on the Leicester to Gas. Wood move? I was under the impression that all the stock as Leicester had a future use, albeit possibly short term.
If you're referring to the 17/02, it was the Loco + Barriers for the Newport move which got cancelled. Newport train actually ran today with different locos.

warwickshire

On Moderation
If you're referring to the 17/02, it was the Loco + Barriers for the Newport move which got cancelled. Newport train actually ran today with different locos.
66783 on front with 66749 on rear plus two barriers vehicles front and end with x10 ex mk3 hst original coaches. Ironically though 66783 was named the flying dustman. Apatly named for a leading locomotive on this scrap train. Especially as it was clearing up mk3s
Ready for scrap. However very sad to see them go through. It was delayed around the Chesterfield area off around 50 minutes. However worth a sighting earlier on at barnt green though.

Merle Haggard

Established Member

Thank you for that, makes sense - I had assumed it was a scrap stock move (from Leicester).