• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HST coach disposals

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

spotify95

Specifically, it was the three vehicles of NL03 that have not been preserved, plus all of NL04 except the TGS.
Thank you for the information. How many sets are still in storage (i.e. not been scrapped or preserved yet)? I know there was a diagram or list somewhere but this is of course not up to date anymore now that the Newport runs have re-commenced.

spotify95

Probable Mk3 scrap move Thursday. Any idea which coaches?

According to this post:

The ex GC coaches (which EMR had briefly) are stored at Ely so it could be those.
Or it could be MK3s from another operator, which are/were still stored at Ely.

Hopefully someone can try and work out which coaches they are before the inevitable happens.

DB

According to this post:

The ex GC coaches (which EMR had briefly) are stored at Ely so it could be those.

Hopefully someone can try and work out which coaches they are before the inevitable happens.

Ely is where Angel Trains stores most of their off-lease HST stock, so could be anything of what remains there - there are certainly ex-LNER sets still there. Not sure what, if anything, remains of their ex-GWR fleet.

spotify95

Some amazingly long trains in that video :lol:
The whole point of that video was to post the MK3s that were sent to Newpoer SIMs, not the other trains that also happened to be in that video ;)
Thank you. It'll be interesting to see what happens to it...
Yeah, my train of thoughts exactly. Hopefully they won't be fed to SIMs at Newport, or anywhere else like that. I'm surprised that the 125 Group haven't gone for that set, given how it would be in some sort of iconic Intercity livery.

On Moderation
Yeah, my train of thoughts exactly. Hopefully they won't be fed to SIMs at Newport, or anywhere else like that. I'm surprised that the 125 Group haven't gone for that set, given how it would be in some sort of iconic Intercity livery.
125 Group have gone for the vehicles available to them in best mechanical condition. The ex-LNER stuff is in horrific condition as we know from the problems and cost EMR have had getting theirs into service - there is far more to it than the colour of the external pigment.

To be brutally honest the best place for that set, along with the other ex-LNER trailers at Ely, is into the crusher at Newport.

Last edited:

adc82140

Established Member
In addition, the ex EMR sets that the 125 group have got are much closer to the original interiors. Slapping a coat of paint on is much easier than a complete rebuild inside.

On Moderation
In addition, the ex EMR sets that the 125 group have got are much closer to the original interiors. Slapping a coat of paint on is much easier than a complete rebuild inside.
You’ve a former Managing Director of EMT to thank for that. When asked why EMT weren’t putting new seats in the reply was along the lines of why would we put something less comfortable in?
:D

adc82140

Established Member
You’ve a former Managing Director of EMT to thank for that. When asked why EMT weren’t putting new seats in the reply was along the lines of why would we put something less comfortable in?
:D
The 125 Group have also got a former GWR TGS. I wonder if they'll leave it as is to show what you could have won. :)

DB

The 125 Group have also got a former GWR TGS. I wonder if they'll leave it as is to show what you could have won. :)

They also have an extra ex EMT trailer for spare parts - perhaps the interior may be transplanted into the TGS to give a matching set? (43096 may well know whether this is intended)

43 302

Established Member
They also have an extra ex EMT trailer for spare parts - perhaps the interior may be transplanted into the TGS to give a matching set? (43096 may well know whether this is intended)
Should be keeping the current seats.

DB

More important things to do than changing seats. Putting a Valenta and Marston into 43044 being chief amongst them!

I'm sure that is a higher priority - just wondered about the seats as from what I understand the mountings aren't changed so it's relatively straightforward to swap them back.

Jamesrob637

Established Member
According to this post:

The move looks to have been cancelled.

Mat17

You could also try Arlington Fleet Services in Eastleigh, they are scrapping some HST, 442 and 317s there. Some seats have been recovered and put in to a prototype HST mk3 that is being preserved so they may well have some for sale
Just a thought, but perhaps contacting the group preserving the prototype HST might be fruitful, maybe they have a spare seat or can acquire an extra one maybe? A bit of a long shot perhaps... But I figure they'll be trying to get spares as well?

Last edited:

DB

Just a thought, but perhaps contacting the group preserving the prototype HST might be fruitful, maybe they have a spare seat or can acquire an extra one maybe? A bit of a long shot perhaps...

Those are what are normally regarded as standard class seats (2+2) - and they probably don't have any spare anyway.

fgwrich

Established Member
Just a thought, but perhaps contacting the group preserving the prototype HST might be fruitful, maybe they have a spare seat or can acquire an extra one maybe? A bit of a long shot perhaps... But I figure they'll be trying to get spares as well?

Those are what are normally regarded as standard class seats (2+2) - and they probably don't have any spare anyway.

They wont have any spares - The coach is owned independently of the group (By a small group of individuals) and although it is having IC70s fitted, these are only coming in few and far between from the 317/5s being scrapped there.

(Ironically the Standard Class IC70 seat was used as a First Class seat in the early 317s)

spotify95

Thanks for the update. Obviously something is making its final journey today. Anyone know the coaches involved and the previous operator?

Spirit555

Thanks for the update. Obviously something is making its final journey today. Anyone know the coaches involved and the previous operator?
50049 6394 41071 41072 40753 42329 42139 42140 42141 44048 6393

5Q51 10:20 Gascoigne Wood Sdgs Gbrf to Newport Docks (Sims) Gbrf

Mark

spotify95

Porterbrook stock previously used by EMT/EMR, formerly set NL08.
Thanks for letting me know. I know they've been clearing out a lot of EMR stock recently as NL03 and NL04 have both been scrapped recently.
Shame that they've been scrapped but there's nowhere else for them to go, so scrapping them is/was inevitable.

Edit:

Last edited:

DB

Thanks for letting me know. I know they've been clearing out a lot of EMR stock recently as NL03 and NL04 have both been scrapped recently.
Shame that they've been scrapped but there's nowhere else for them to go, so scrapping them is/was inevitable.

Most of NL03 went to the 125 group (minus three coaches)

spotify95

Most of NL03 went to the 125 group (minus three coaches)
Thanks, I was referring to the three coaches that were bolted onto the end of NL04 and were scrapped recently (about a week ago). At least some are going to preservation, rather than the crushers (it's a shame Newport won't take parts out of the coaches as the EMR sets have the more desirable/collectable IC70 seats).
If I worked at any of these scrap yards I know I'd be taking every usable part out before the set hit the crusher.