• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

HST coach disposals

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

3973EXL

Established Member
Reinstated - 80 late Ladybank.

Running via Waverley.

Following 1E09 0930 Edin - KX from Waverley. 21 late Monktonhall Jn.

Last edited:

typetwos

Reinstated - 80 late Ladybank.

Running via Waverley.

Following 1E09 0930 Edin - KX from Waverley. 21 late Monktonhall Jn.
57312 with 6330, 6338, 6340, 6344 & 6346 on 5E25 05:56 DUNDEE CS to RHAM MAS (CF BOOTHS) 24/03/21 with some HST Mark 3's from Scotrail.
Any idea what the Mark 3 numbers are please?

57312 with 6330, 6338, 6340, 6344 & 6346 on 5E25 05:56 DUNDEE CS to RHAM MAS (CF BOOTHS) 24/03/21 with some HST Mark 3's from Scotrail.
HA32 46010 42069 42118 44023 are the numbers seen on another forum

Last edited:

FirstclassHST

I notice that some LNER first class seats have turned up on eBay. The single seats are now sold but there's a double available. Judging by the pictures, it looks like they were salvaged from Booths. Hopefully this link to the listing will work:

I contacted the seller as I was interested to buy them but they charge £90 for deliver on top of the Seats and is very stern when it comes to bargaining, anyone know where I can get ethier these type of seats or preferably GWR ex HST first class seats

Fired off an email to Sims asking if they'd be willing to sell any; I'll update the forum if they seem interested.
I saw this post and I’m quite interested if you could know anyone who would be willing to sell ex GWR HST first class train seats or similar and if anyone knows please could you contact me ASAP

Last edited:

Yew

Established Member
Alas, no luck from my end, it's certainly worth firing off and email to SIMS or Booths though.

Check Ebay too, I've seen. few bits making their way onto there.

FirstclassHST

Alas, no luck from my end, it's certainly worth firing off and email to SIMS or Booths though.

Check Ebay too, I've seen. few bits making their way onto there.
May I ask who sims are or a link to their website etc I’ll try contacting them ASAP also I saw on another forum CFBOOTH recently recieved some first class HST carriages? Anyone like to confirm , when I contacted them they told us to contact them once they have a first class train set so was wondering if anyone knows if they received them or not

Yew

Established Member
I think these are their websites:

bramling

Veteran Member
May I ask who sims are or a link to their website etc I’ll try contacting them ASAP also I saw on another forum CFBOOTH recently recieved some first class HST carriages? Anyone like to confirm , when I contacted them they told us to contact them once they have a first class train set so was wondering if anyone knows if they received them or not

I really wouldn’t bother with Sims. Lots of people have contacted them in the past, and got precisely nowhere. The nature of their yard is such that stock tends to get processed very quickly.

Booths is a lot more old-fashioned in the way they work, hence why they are more receptive to enthusiasts.

On Moderation
I really wouldn’t bother with Sims. Lots of people have contacted them in the past, and got precisely nowhere. The nature of their yard is such that stock tends to get processed very quickly.

Booths is a lot more old-fashioned in the way they work, hence why they are more receptive to enthusiasts.
In any case there are very few ex-GWR first class vehicles left for disposal.

FirstclassHST

In any case there are very few ex-GWR first class vehicles left for disposal.
Yeah that’s why I’m trying to bag the first class seats ASAP

HA32 46010 42069 42118 44023 are the numbers seen on another forum
Just to ask what do you do with the HST numbers can you track them etc if so please leave a link im after getting any kind of GWR first class HST type seats

Last edited:

ChilternTurbo

Yeah that’s why I’m trying to bag the first class seats ASAP
I'll be interested to hear how you get on at Booths. I suspect that the eBay seller I linked to earlier with LNER seats may get 'first dibs' but maybe wrong - fingers crossed for you!
Those GWR Primarius leather seats were lovely looking things and I personally found them very comfortable. It's a shame they were fitted so late in life to GWR HSTs.

They will be some of the "Spares" vehicles sent to Wabtec to give up parts for the ScotRail and GW conversions.
44029 was moved from Wabtec, plus two others, but can't confirm which ones. 44032/44086 were possibles, but there are at least two TSs and 7 TGSs at wabtec as spares donors.

3973EXL

Established Member
Report elsewhere of 44058 & 40706 being moved from Ely to Colne Valley.

41088 to follow.

FirstclassHST

I'll be interested to hear how you get on at Booths. I suspect that the eBay seller I linked to earlier with LNER seats may get 'first dibs' but maybe wrong - fingers crossed for you!
Those GWR Primarius leather seats were lovely looking things and I personally found them very comfortable. It's a shame they were fitted so late in life to GWR HSTs.
Yeah I totally agree and thank you I will update everyone as soon as I get a reply :)

Guys would anyone know the dimensions of the GWR HST first class seats ? :)

Last edited:

cole_peter5@

Hi Guys ---- Anyone got an up date on the HSTs that went by road to EMR Attercliffe. I believe one was 44029 anyone got any news of the other two,
Also are the following going to Colne Valley Railway --- 40705 41180 44058. ------ Peter.

On Moderation
Hi Guys ---- Anyone got an up date on the HSTs that went by road to EMR Attercliffe. I believe one was 44029 anyone got any news of the other two,
Also are the following going to Colne Valley Railway --- 40705 41180 44058. ------ Peter.
I think 42502 is one of the others at EMR.

Colne Valley have acquired 40706, 41088 and 44058 (ex-EC54/55) from Angel.

Dave91131

I think 42502 is one of the others at EMR.
In the photo I've seen of the 3 vehicles at EMR Attercliffe, I think I can just make out pink doors at both ends of the middle vehicle which rules out that one being a TGS.

Based on my notes of movements etc I'd therefore punt on it being either 42502 or 42503.

FirstclassHST

Can someone kindly explain how to use these carriage numbers? Do you guys track them ? Someone please explain I’m new :)

On Moderation
In the photo I've seen of the 3 vehicles at EMR Attercliffe, I think I can just make out pink doors at both ends of the middle vehicle which rules out that one being a TGS.
No WiFi antennae on the roof, either - they were only fitted to the TGS vehicles.

spotify95

I think these are their websites:

Not that SIMs Metals would be worth it from what I've seen; they take precisely zero components out of the train before throwing it into whatever machinery they have. Booths, or other scrapyards, might be worth a shot; there was a set of HST coaches that went to Booths semi-recently.

Report elsewhere of 44058 & 40706 being moved from Ely to Colne Valley.

41088 to follow.
I know where Colne Valley is; it's great that more HST coaches are entering preservation :)

No WiFi antennae on the roof, either - they were only fitted to the TGS vehicles.
I've never actually seen a Wi-Fi antennae on a train yet - got any examples of what they look like? I know a lot of trains do have on board Wi-Fi, though I never tried using the HSTs wi-fi (on EMR anyways) as you could get 4G easily and that outperformed whatever the train could get ;)

antharro

Sims don't need to - if it goes to Newport then it will go through one of the world's largest shredder / hammer mills. They only need to tear the carriages down into small enough chunks that they can be fed into the shredder; what comes out will get sorted into ferrous, non-ferrous and "fluff" aka shredder residue, aka all the bits that aren't metal. The only thing they need to worry about are anything that could cause the shredder damage, which in an HST carriage I would think would be pretty much nothing.

Incidentally, this is why they're able to process material so quickly; it takes less than a minute for a car (road vehicle) to be shredded into chunks and sorted, so a railway carriage will only take a couple of minutes to go through. It's a brutal process but highly efficient and fast.

Last edited: