• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hull Paragon Waiting Room?

Status
Not open for further replies.

westv

Established Member
I've been to the station twice in the last two weeks around 6am and both times the waiting room has been shut and in darkness. There is a sign on the door but it's been to gloomy for me to read it. Does anybody know what's going on? The waiting room has the only seating available on the concourse.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Anonymous10

Established Member
I've been to the station twice in the last two weeks around 6am and both times the waiting room has been shut and in darkness. There is a sign on the door but it's been to gloomy for me to read it. Does anybody know what's going on? The waiting room has the only seating available on the concourse.
i think its open something like 8am till 6 pm or maybe its 9-6 i was there in summer around 6 and got told i had to leave as the cleaner was closing it for the night

westv

Established Member
Ah, I see. Presumably it's cheaper for TPE to close the waiting room and toilets rather than pay for people to keep them secure.

lincolnshire

Not sure but I think its opened up about 6-30 am till about 19-30 pm, and then closed so that the place can be cleaned before morning and the cleaning staff go home. Just how many are train passengers using the seats and the toilets would be interesting to know? as plenty think its a public toilet.

Narik

It may be due to antisocial behaviour.

TPE trialled closing the Anlaby Road entrance to the station a few years ago for that reason.

westv

Established Member
It may be due to antisocial behaviour.

TPE trialled closing the Anlaby Road entrance to the station a few years ago for that reason.
Yes, that's why I mentioned about TPE maybe not wanting to pay for people to keep everything in check.

Anonymous10

Established Member
Not sure but I think its opened up about 6-30 am till about 19-30 pm, and then closed so that the place can be cleaned before morning and the cleaning staff go home. Just how many are train passengers using the seats and the toilets would be interesting to know? as plenty think its a public toilet.
they clean them while open or at least they let m and my friend stay in there till they finished and a few did but not many to what i saw

westv

Established Member
It'll be a pain come winter with nowhere warm for me to sit whilst waiting for the 06:26.

wellhouse

I don't know whether the door is open all night, but when waiting at Hull, I often use the lobby (&bar) of The Royal Hotel, which has direct access to the concourse

lincolnshire

I don't know whether the door is open all night, but when waiting at Hull, I often use the lobby (&bar) of The Royal Hotel, which has direct access to the concourse
At the present time the Royal Hotel is not open to the public as its housing some people not sure who for the next few months as there contract has just been renewed I was told the other day. It looks like it will need a major refurbishment afterwards to get it back to a decent standard. I think you was only able to exit on to the concourse through the door and entry was only by the main front doors.

WestRiding

Even after the recent refurbishment, pitiful facilities for a station like Paragon / a city the size of Hull.
Thought that at the weekend. Just another god damn Starbucks and Costa. When did people's expectations get so low. Chain, chain, chain, chain. Bring back some independent retailers. Maybe a nice station buffet/bar.

vic-rijrode

Thought that at the weekend. Just another god damn Starbucks and Costa. When did people's expectations get so low. Chain, chain, chain, chain. Bring back some independent retailers. Maybe a nice station buffet/bar.
I suppose it's all relative but at least there are places to sit down and get a (half) decent coffee or tea. When returning from Whitby to Middlesbrough station on a Sunday afternoon in April 1977 and gagging for something hot to drink, my wife and I quickly found nothing at the station and trawled down the High Street (such as it was), with no joy. Two greasy spoons (certainly "independent retailers") had shut at 2pm (yes 2pm), even so one glance at the unappetising fare in the window (curly white sandwiches and fly-blown scones - probably brushed down and offered again on the Monday) would have put us off even if they had been open.

I suppose being as it is the third decade of the 21st Century, we might expect more diverse outlets, but I am thankful for small mercies like Starbucks and Costa.

I was at Paragon last Sunday to catch the 14.21 train to Church Fenton, then on to Preston, and went to the waiting room about ten minutes before departure to use the toilet, only to find it locked with a handwritten sign on the door saying that the toilets were being cleaned, and where the nearest available ones were (Queen Victoria Square). Inside the security guard and cleaner were stood chatting - I'll be charitable and assume that the cleaner had mopped the floor and was waiting for it to dry. Would have made more sense to close just one toilet at a time for cleaning, rather than all of them.

lincolnshire

If you had used them before you would know why they close the building to clean them. What the cleaners have to put up with mess and customer wise you would know why they close them. When you consider that at a guess only about 25% of the people using them are train passengers.
Also previously when they was in the former travel centre there was a charge to use them as against now. Who ever did the design for them wants to go back to college and learn about specifications for public use toilets.
So it was a trade off 4 retail units as against a set of decent toilets and the retail units won! and only two in use after all this time since they was built.

If you had used them before you would know why they close the building to clean them. What the cleaners have to put up with mess and customer wise you would know why they close them. When you consider that at a guess only about 25% of the people using them are train passengers.

They're also the toilets for the bus station, which doesn't help. A city bus station should have its own public toilets.

Status
Not open for further replies.