• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hull station evacuated earlier during rush hour (17/12/21)

Status
Not open for further replies.

3rd rail land

Was it perhaps the case that the ‘last qualified evacuator standing’ realised that no competent relief was going to arrive and organised the evacuation before booking off? This would seem to be a safe and orderly way of doing things.

Genuine question.
If it were managing resources at Hull station I'd have asked that last qualified evacuator if they would be willing to do some overtime to keep the station open. If the station had to be closed then I imagine it would happen in a calm and orderly fashion just before the last suitably qualified person booked off.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Was it perhaps the case that the ‘last qualified evacuator standing’ realised that no competent relief was going to arrive and organised the evacuation before booking off? This would seem to be a safe and orderly way of doing things.

Genuine question.
That's my understanding. The last person with the relevant competence was approaching the end of their shift so their last act was to close the station.

Last edited:

MotCO

Established Member
I don't know Hull Paragon station, but it looks from Google Maps that it is a terminus. Does that mean that not only was the station closed, but all trains serving stations along the line to Hull were cancelled, or did the trains empty out at the penultimate station, then run empty to and from Hull Paragon?

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
That's my understanding. The last person with the relevant competence was approaching the end of their shift so their last act was to close the station.
Unfortunately it was a little more alarming than that - it was discovered that there was no fire warden on duty, hence all movements were stopped and the station was evacuated.

dgl

Established Member
If it were managing resources at Hull station I'd have asked that last qualified evacuator if they would be willing to do some overtime to keep the station open.
As I understand it that is legally not an option once a person in a specific role has done a certain amount of hours as a response to previous incidents where tired/overworked employees have had safety issues.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Unfortunately it was a little more alarming than that - it was discovered that there was no fire warden on duty, hence all movements were stopped and the station was evacuated.
Thanks for the correction!

fabs

Unfortunately it was a little more alarming than that - it was discovered that there was no fire warden on duty, hence all movements were stopped and the station was evacuated
Although there was a fire warden on duty, someone had agreed to step up (as had happened in the past).
But for some reason, a little while later, after agreeing to do so on this occasion subsequently decided they were not going to.

Established Member
Although there was a fire warden on duty, someone had agreed to step up (as had happened in the past).
But for some reason, a little while later, after agreeing to do so on this occasion subsequently decided they were not going to.
I have done exactly the same in the same situation before, where an enhanced rate of pay had been agreed for me to undertake extra duties by rosters. Then the local manager decided that he didn't agree to that. Happened three times, once I went home and caused a little bit of chaos, the two other times said local manager was overruled.

The local manager had a dislike of pretty much everyone and had a stinking attitude towards colleagues. Has left two TOCs days before being sacked and is now looking to join a third.

Status
Not open for further replies.