• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hull to Mottingham

Status
Not open for further replies.

westv

Established Member
It looks like I'll be travelling to Mottingham station next Tuesday and returning on the Thursday. The journey planner suggests Hull - Donc - Stevenage - London Bridge - Mottingham.
This sounds straightforward enough but I was just wondering if there was perhaps a better less obvious route. Probably not but I thought I'd ask anyway. I'm looking for convenience and speed.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cactustwirly

Established Member
It looks like I'll be travelling to Mottingham station next Tuesday and returning on the Thursday. The journey planner suggests Hull - Donc - Stevenage - London Bridge - Mottingham.
This sounds straightforward enough but I was just wondering if there was perhaps a better less obvious route. Probably not but I thought I'd ask anyway. I'm looking for convenience and speed.

Hull - Doncaster - Kings Cross - London Bridge (via the Northern line) - Mottingham

High Dyke

Established Member
Is Thameslink a possibility for the cross-London leg?
That is what the OP has found in the journey planner. Change at Stevenage for a Thameslink service across London. I've had journey planners offer that route when travelling south of the river. Alternatively they could travel onto King's Cross and walk across the road to St Pancras to catch a Thameslink service from there.

westv

Established Member
Ah yes, change at Kings X to St Panc.
I guess the journey planner suggests Stevenage as that is quicker (even with the slower train) than the long walk between KX and STP.

fishquinn

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
Only quicker when you factor in the journey planner will allow 32 mins for the change when it's doable in 10 without breaking a sweat. My route would definitely be Hull-Doncaster-KX-London Bridge (Thameslink)-Mottingham, allows fast trains from Doncaster-London that don't stop at Stevenage too.

If the fast train stops at Stevenage, and there isn't a long wait, I'd change there rather than London. The Thameslink trains are only slightly slower and it's a lot less hassle than London. Also slightly safer in terms of Covid.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Changing at Stevenage will mean a cross platform change, very simple. There is a train from Stevenage to London Bridge every 15 minutes.

You could carry on to Kings Cross but you'll then need to cross the road to St Pancras and descend to the Thameslink platforms, I doubt this will be faster than changing at Stevenage.

westv

Established Member
I'm assuming the services will probably be lightly loaded. Travelling middle of the day.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I'm assuming the services will probably be lightly loaded. Travelling middle of the day.

Trains are lightly loaded. On LNER as a minimum you will have a double seat to yourself. On Thameslink it'll be a 12-car train with a handful of passengers in most of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.