• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hull Trains First Class Service?

Status
Not open for further replies.

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Good morning,

I may be having a weekend break in Scunthorpe and have been told that the group will meet & depart at Hull Station.

I was wondering about trying Hull Trains First Class Service, has anyone experienced this, do you get food, drink included like you do on VT East & West Coast services. It would be on Weekdays.

Thank You.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sapphire Blue

Good morning,

I may be having a weekend break in Scunthorpe and have been told that the group will meet & depart at Hull Station.

I was wondering about trying Hull Trains First Class Service, has anyone experienced this, do you get food, drink included like you do on VT East & West Coast services. It would be on Weekdays.

Thank You.

Sorry, I couldn't get past the "weekend break in Scunthorpe" without laughing.

jimm

Established Member
Good morning,

Thank You.

Maybe try Hull Trains' website...

http://www.hulltrains.co.uk/on-board/

Harpers Tate

Established Member
"our first class service offers complimentary refreshments, improved seating and legroom and a personal host for the entirety of your journey. So whether you’re with us for one stop or eight, sit back, relax and enjoy the Hull Trains’ on board experience." - See more at: http://www.hulltrains.co.uk/on-board (first class menu tab)

Last edited:

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
The food is generally very nice, although it is all microwaved. Hot and cold drinks are complimentary but there's no alcohol. You can have a sandwich platter with crisps usually instead of the hot course. Food is usually followed by a piece of cake. This does mean that the service kinda doesn't 'fill' a Hull <> London journey in the way it might. There's scope for improvement and it's not as good as the catering on East Coast, but it is a good standard and quite satisfying.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Sorry, I couldn't get past the "weekend break in Scunthorpe" without laughing.
What's funny?
Scunthorpe has a worldclass golf course, a huge steel works with ocassional tours and Appleby Froddingham steam trains, Central Park is quite nice, and it has several town centres to shop at.

Hull Trains are one of the best, in Standard at least.

mike57

Established Member
We travelled First Class on Hull trains to London and return last Autumn, on a Saturday. As others have said, tea coffee and sandwiches are served, with some cakes. Service was good, as much tea as I could drink, and ingredients seemed to be good quality. Overall seems more customer centred than VTEC.

Free wifi, power socket at seat, and standard 2+1 seating around tables, normal first class comforts.

First class was suprisingly busy, but there are good advance fares, which probably encourages people to go first class

Only down side is the class 180 units, which isnt the fault of the staff. They dont ride well, noisy and a lot of vibration at times. Wife commented on return "125mph on this (class 180) feels faster than 200mph across eastern France"

In spite of that I will go Hull trains again as service seems better, and our journey from home in Bempton to Hotel in Paris changing in Hull and London was quicker door to door than flying. Alternative routes for us would be VTEC into Kings X

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Thanks for the info, I will certainly try to go with Hull Trains. I did travel with them years ago, when it had not long started and it was operated by two, three carriage units coupled together that were from Anglia Railways, they even had first class free food and drink offer then, it was tea, coffee and a salad in both directions and the whole train was very busy.

I am going up there with a small group hopefully and we we do plan a number of railway and industrial visits, including a steelworks tour with by steam haulage, not sure if that is in the Scunthorpe area or up at Redcar?

I think the Wolds Railway was mentioned too, along with a couple of narrow gauge lines in Skegness and Cleethorpes. I am also wondering if we may be able to go on that Saturday only service from Brigg?

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
Thanks for the info, I will certainly try to go with Hull Trains. I did travel with them years ago, when it had not long started and it was operated by two, three carriage units coupled together that were from Anglia Railways, they even had first class free food and drink offer then, it was tea, coffee and a salad in both directions and the whole train was very busy.

I am going up there with a small group hopefully and we we do plan a number of railway and industrial visits, including a steelworks tour with by steam haulage, not sure if that is in the Scunthorpe area or up at Redcar?

I think the Wolds Railway was mentioned too, along with a couple of narrow gauge lines in Skegness and Cleethorpes. I am also wondering if we may be able to go on that Saturday only service from Brigg?

Redcar Steel is gone. :(
Scunthorpe steel is still there and has the Appleby Froddingham Railway, which runs an irregular timetable.

There's a Wolds Railway north of the Humber aswell now at Fimber (not sure when open), the one down in Lincolnshire is North Thoresby to Ludborough and runs only at weekends, sometimes only on Sundays. It's not bad.

The Narrow Guage Railway in Skegness has some interesting information about the old Potato Railways that ran in East Lindsey, the Cleethorpes Coast one is a bit costly now but has some good locoes and is nice.
There's another shorter one in Cleethorpes' Pleasure Island theme park but that would cost c. £20 to get in.

The Saturday Service at Brigg runs 3 times each way, if you miss the train get the number 4 bus to Scunthorpe or the 450 to Barton & Grimsby. You'll be able to get on, although I have seen people having to stand on it.

At Sandtoft near Crowle there's a big Trolleybus Museum, worth a look.

Last edited by a moderator:

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
Redcar Steel is gone. :(
Scunthorpe steel is still there and has the Appleby Froddingham Railway, which runs an irregular timetable.

There's a Wolds Railway north of the Humber aswell now at Fimber (not sure when open), the one down in Lincolnshire is North Thoresby to Ludborough and runs only at weekends, sometimes only on Sundays. It's not bad.

The Narrow Guage Railway in Skegness has some interesting information about the old Potato Railways that ran in East Lindsey, the Cleethorpes Coast one is a bit costly now but has some good locoes and is nice.
There's another shorter one in Cleethorpes' Pleasure Island theme park but that would cost c. £20 to get in.

The Saturday Service at Brigg runs 3 times each way, if you miss the train get the number 4 bus to Scunthorpe or the 450 to Barton & Grimsby. You'll be able to get on, although I have seen people having to stand on it.

At Sandtoft near Crowle there's a big Trolleybus Museum, worth a look.

Thank you for this info, yes, the Trolleybus Museum is likely to be another place that we will visit, there certainly seems to be a lot to do in and around that whole area. :D

Status
Not open for further replies.