• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hull Trains - Trainee Train Driver - Hull (12/11/2021)

Status
Not open for further replies.

T-Karmel

A vacancy for Trainee Train Driver position in Hull has came up today. It's a Talent Pool position.

Good luck to everyone applying.

Salary: Circa £34,000 plus benefits, £61,800 upon completion of training, flexible working opportunities

Who are we?

We've just celebrated our 21st Anniversary and we put our success down to our people. Many of our employees have developed successful careers with us and now we're looking for further passionate and positive people to join our team.

We deliver 92 services a week direct to London King's Cross from Beverley and Hull and are regularly rated as one the UK's best rail operators for passenger satisfaction.

Customer experience is what we're well known for and within our home city we work closely with local charities and organisations to deliver a vital service for the people of Hull and East Riding and its economy.

Now with an impressive fleet of bi-mode Class 802 state-of-the-art trains, our Paragon fleet is one the most modern on the UK's rail network.

As an ambitious Open Access rail operator, we're proud to carry the name of Hull down the East Coast Main Line to the capital and we're excited to be planning our long-term future.

Would you like to be a part of our journey?

We are recruiting Trainee Drivers for our Talent Pool to fill future vacancies.

You'll be responsible for the safe and timely transportation of our customers. Your greatest strengths will lie in your concentration and quick decision-making based upon your in-depth rules and regulation knowledge. You will enjoy working in a structured environment, adhering to set rules and procedures.

Please be aware that due to health and safety commitments, applicants are required to live within a reasonable commuting distance of Hull Station or be willing to relocate in line with this commuting range, prior to commencing the role. candidates must be within 1 hours commute from Hull Paragon Station

We know that work content and link structure are key to helping you to make a decision on whether to apply for a role, so below are some key advantages of working at Hull Trains;

• We operate a single fleet of the most modern trains on the network: our 802 bi-mode units
  • Our Drivers work a 4 day, 35 hours average week with a maximum of 55 hours and 8 rostered turns; Sundays are inside the working week.
  • We have a 30 line roster, of which 2 full weeks are days off (in addition to your contracted leave)
  • The 30 link roster (210 days) has 90 days off, 56 spare shifts and 4 training days.
  • Spare movement is 3 hours without agreement. Over and above that, we pay an off roster payment.
  • Our core route is Hull/Beverley to Kings Cross on ECML, with diversions via Goole, Hertford and Lincoln, with some overnight stays.
  • The earliest start is 05.00 and latest book off is 00.50 (except the night fuel jobs of which there are 2 blocks of 4 in the 30 week link)
  • We have a free day working agreement in place (currently to Dec 2021 for 9 hours with minimum pay at x1.5)
  • Drivers terms and conditions has been enhanced with a productivity deal, enabling better clarity on day to day operations and improved conditions around ORR fatigue recommendations
If the above sounds good to you we look forward to hearing from you.

What you will be expected to deliver?

• Prepare, drive and dispose of traction units safely, using the prescribed techniques as set out in the appropriate instructions
  • Report Delays as necessary
  • Comply with the rules as defined in the Rule Book other publications, training' then as it reads
  • Maintain currency of route and traction knowledge specific to the role of
    • Mainline Driver
    • Locate, and where possible rectify faults following the correct procedure
    • Ensure you are provided with, read and understand all safety critical information regarding the role of a driver
    • Wear all uniform and PPE provided and carry ‘publications' with information
    • Communicate effectively with, and assist other staff and customers in the interests of safety on/or customer service
  • What knowledge or experience you will need?
    • You will have a keen interest in the role of a driver
    • You will have a good record in your current role which demonstrates a commitment to continuous improvement
    • You will have good communication and motivational skills to engage with all levels of staff
    • You will be able to assist colleagues and customers at all times
    • An energetic and enthusiastic approach to problem solving and teamwork is required

• At Hull Trains we are committed to encouraging equality of opportunity, diversity and inclusion at every level in our business, and ensuring an inclusive and open working environment.

The aim is for our workforce to be truly representative of all sections of society and our customers, to help us to better understand their needs and to deliver more creative and innovative solutions.

*If successful at all stages of the recruitment process, you will be placed in a Talent Pool for this depot, pending confirmation of available vacancies*

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

LouG

Just wondering if anyone has completed the online tests and how many there were? X

MPE

Can I ask if someone applies and is successful how likely is a job in the talent pool

iwasyoungonce

It's quite a common test used by a few companies, suppose its the same as GB test, how many lines you complete without errors or omissions ?

NorthernTech

It's quite a common test used by a few companies, suppose its the same as GB test, how many lines you complete without errors or omissions ?
Yeah I’d imagine you are correct, a mix of speed and accuracy but likely emphasis on accuracy. Were your two results mentioned for 2 different toc applications? If so, which one did you think you did better on? I suppose only if you are moved forward with your application would you know, but I can’t imagine Hull needing many drivers (I could be wrong) based on the routes they run.

iwasyoungonce

Nobody really knows how many errors they got as the OPC or TOC never tell you AFAIA However I have always been progressed every time I've completed this test and the GB for that matter.

NorthernTech

Nobody really knows how many errors they got as the OPC or TOC never tell you AFAIA However I have always been progressed every time I've completed this test and the GB for that matter.
you mentioned 29 with no errors and 33 with 4 errors, were they your actual results or were you just referring to the speed/accuracy thing?

iwasyoungonce

Speed v accuracy the age old assessment question, 29 v 33 was hypothetical I've no idea of my actual scores, I would never look at the question number or countdown clock as the distraction wastes time and the opportunity to answer an extra question.

NorthernTech

Speed v accuracy the age old assessment question, 29 v 33 was hypothetical I've no idea of my actual scores, I would never look at the question number or countdown clock as the distraction wastes time and the opportunity to answer an extra question.
From reading the various threads where the error checking is done, TPE and Hull recently (First group), it seems there are a real variety in the number people got, from less than 20 to over 40! I’d love to see the scores and errors from everyone to see how they really did for comparison but, as we know, you never get to find out! Adds to the mystery.. Sounds like you have been doing well with your applications so far, best of luck

munya

Just wondering if anyone has completed the online tests and how many there were? X

From reading the various threads where the error checking is done, TPE and Hull recently (First group), it seems there are a real variety in the number people got, from less than 20 to over 40! I’d love to see the scores and errors from everyone to see how they really did for comparison but, as we know, you never get to find out! Adds to the mystery.. Sounds like you have been doing well with your applications so far, best of luck
That range of, " less than 20 to over 40!", is quite fascinating. Could be they look at more than just the numbers...
Good luck to all those that partook in the sjt n error checking.

A vacancy for Trainee Train Driver position in Hull has came up today. It's a Talent Pool position.

Good luck to everyone applying.

A big thank you @ T-Karmel for posting the vacancy when you did, much appreciated.

DunfordBridge

I was reading the Transpennine thread, https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/tpe-trainee-train-drivers-manchester-york-21-09-21.222553/, and there was one individual who completed 24 out of the 50 on the Error Checking test, and his application was not progressed to the psychometric tests. The question is that you do not know out of the 24, how many he got right. It also depends on the scores from the other applicants as to the cut-off mark but several people seem to have higher scores than me. I have actually passed the TRP dials test to the enhanced standard for Transpennine Express and this Error Checking does seem to be testing for similar qualities.

munya

Anyone have an idea of when to expect to hear back from them, or is going to be after xmas???

ratbag

Rejection email for me. Despite passing my psychometrics with another TOC, getting through this sift was no guarantee.

MPE

Sorry to hear at least you have your psychometrics good luck to everyone.

ratbag

Sorry to hear at least you have your psychometrics good luck to everyone.

Sometimes its a lottery, and personnel often choose the wrong candidates to take their psychometrics simply by the fact of the large psychometrics failure rate. One TOC I know sent 72 people through to the assessment centre stage, and only 4 passed. The same TOC sent the 2nd wave of rejects (lesser candidates) according to their sift process (I was one of them) to the assessment centre stage, and the pass rate was in double figures. I'm gutted because my other half is originally from Hull, so relocating would have been perfect. Maybe they grade you down for having to relocate. Who knows? Good luck to all those who get through.

Status
Not open for further replies.