• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hulley's of Baslow

Boo_

On Moderation
This is going to be one to keep eye on with a Express bus from Manchester to Glossop then over Snakepass to Sheffeld.

Starts 25th October
119458592_10223444664850778_4588562303928253855_o.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Starmill

Veteran Member
Operated by Hulleys of Baslow. Further information is here https://www.derbyshire.gov.uk/trans...nges/forthcoming-changes-to-bus-services.aspx

TfGM's summary describes: "New daily commercial service
running every two hours
including late journeys on
Friday and Saturday evenings.
Between Glossop and
Manchester stops only at
Hollingworth Gun Inn."

It's slightly less than half the price of the train service, and running two-hourly with a journey time of 90 minutes.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Interesting. Wonder whether it will allow boarding/alighting at Snake Summit?

Llandudno

Established Member
Just had it confirmed from Hulleys that:

ENCTs valid throughout the route
TfGM Wayfarer valid between Manchester and Ashopton (Ladybower)
Derbyshire Wayfarer valid between Sheffield and Glossop

skifans

Wish them luck with it, wiggle down to Bamford & Derwent on Sunday is not what I'd normally express on an express route, although Derwent definitely makes sense. Can't really imagine loads of custom from Bamford though personally.

Boo_

On Moderation
Woodhead is not faster.

Snakepass 37.7 miles 69 mins on google
Woodhead is 40.2 miles 74 mins on google

markymark2000

On Moderation
Wish them luck with it, wiggle down to Bamford & Derwent on Sunday is not what I'd normally express on an express route, although Derwent definitely makes sense. Can't really imagine loads of custom from Bamford though personally.
Looking at it, it looks as if they are getting subsidy for that to replace the 273 TM Travel service which could explain this area. I think it could really boost the loadings actually as Hulleys provide the Mon-Sat service here so having TM could have put people off so now having Hulleys all week could help all services in Bamford.

skifans

Looking at it, it looks as if they are getting subsidy for that to replace the 273 TM Travel service which could explain this area. I think it could really boost the loadings actually as Hulleys provide the Mon-Sat service here so having TM could have put people off so now having Hulleys all week could help all services in Bamford.
Ahh - I wasn't aware the 273 had gone. Whats the deal with 271/272 - thats one of the few routes which hasn't gone back to pre-covid. With Hulley/First now running 50/50, when it used to be mostly First (and entirely First on Sundays).

markymark2000

On Moderation
Ahh - I wasn't aware the 273 had gone. Whats the deal with 271/272 - thats one of the few routes which hasn't gone back to pre-covid. With Hulley/First now running 50/50, when it used to be mostly First (and entirely First on Sundays).
I don't think it has gone yet but the diversions only run on a Sunday and the only bus which runs to these areas on a Sundays is the 273. The 273 also follows the route into Sheffield so I think that is what is going on. I can't say for sure but it's how it looks.

peterblue

The times end-to-end don't compare favourably with the train with the EMR/TPX services taking around 50 mins. However, it's less than half the price (£23.70 SVR no railcard vs £10).

We'll have to see. It's an interesting and very ambitious plan in the current economic climate.

Boo_

On Moderation
I do think they making a error going to outside Coach Station not Shudehill Manchester

markymark2000

On Moderation
I do think they making a error going to outside Coach Station not Shudehill Manchester
Coach station will have a lot less disruption I think as it would be wise to presume they will be using Hyde Road to enter the city so it's quite quick to get into Chorlton Street without hitting much traffic. Shudehill will cause more issues. I think on the times they have proposed as well which many have noted are quite tight, you will want to be minimising any potential of disruption as the service does have a quick turnaround.

Boo_

On Moderation
Coach station will have a lot less disruption I think as it would be wise to presume they will be using Hyde Road to enter the city so it's quite quick to get into Chorlton Street without hitting much traffic. Shudehill will cause more issues. I think on the times they have proposed as well which many have noted are quite tight, you will want to be minimising any potential of disruption as the service does have a quick turnaround.
Will be using a bus stand with no Customer care. if they use Piccadilly then on to Shudehill there it close to Men arena / shopping centre / megabus/ flixbus / metrolink. and has staff in event of issues who can inform people so people not waiting in cold. so win win for 10 more mins to get round but as there could be a stop at Piccadilly no one is forced to stay on. and people want city centre to city centre so it mean going to centre no one likes the coach Station and it a private one there and if your not from Manchester it not really the place you want to pick up a bus.

Many people now see Shudehill as the coach station

Established Member
Yes I read about this in GMCA meetings but couldn't find out any more info. Fantastic new service, although I worry about its success in the current climate.

daodao

Established Member
Launching this service just before winter may not be the best time to introduce it, given the propensity for the Snake Pass to be blocked by snow and ice. However, it may be particularly useful for passengers travelling to Sheffield University, the Royal Hallamshire Hospital and Sheffield Children's Hospital, which are sited on or close to Glossop Road.

The former NWRCC used to operate this route together with Sheffield JOC many years ago. There were 4 journeys per day, summer only, taking 150 minutes, but without the benefit of the M67 to bypass Hyde.

Sheffield JOC also used to operate a joint service between Sheffield and Manchester via Woodhead. There were up to 5 journeys per day, some all year, taking 135 minutes, but again without the benefit of the M67 to bypass Hyde; the service ran via Ashton-under-Lyne. The last vestiges of this other service were operated by National Express until earlier this year, latterly just 2 journeys per day.

Last edited:

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
1710 from Manchester as the evening commuter service seems to be throwing away passengers, as those working in retail won't be ready that early. 1730 from Sheffield is more sensible, but I'd have stuck with xx45.

cnjb8

Established Member
I wonder what bus they'll use on it. I am going to feel sorry for passengers traveling the whole route on a Optare Tempo or a Dart.

peterblue

I don't think the coach station is a bad place to terminate. Only a few mins walk from the city centre.
1710 from Manchester as the evening commuter service seems to be throwing away passengers, as those working in retail won't be ready that early. 1730 from Sheffield is more sensible, but I'd have stuck with xx45.

There's unlikely to be many Sheffield to manchester commuters working retail. Though I agree with your sentiment that the buses could have been better times for commuters. 0645 from Manchester arriving into Sheffield 0800 is too early for a typical 0900 start, I find.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I wonder what bus they'll use on it. I am going to feel sorry for passengers traveling the whole route on a Optare Tempo or a Dart.

A double decker would definitely help draw in the punters for the views.

I don't think the coach station is a bad place to terminate. Only a few mins walk from the city centre.

There's unlikely to be many Sheffield to manchester commuters working retail. I agree with your sentiment that the buses could have been better times for commuters. 0645 from Manchester parriving into Sheffield 0800 is too early for a typical 0900 start, I find.

Desk job? Then just start as soon as you arrive. Starting at 0900 is increasingly arbitrary.

A0wen

On Moderation

I'd be *very* surprised if anyone working in retail lived in Sheffield and commuted to Manchester or vice versa, unless they were in a management role, in which case they'd probably also have to be a keyholder and able to be called out if there was an alarm activation overnight, so wouldn't use public transport in any case.

Having worked in retail, the vast majority of "shop floor" workers live no more than 10 miles from their store. The salaries simply don't justify long distance commuting.

You might have some who travel from Glossop, but there are already other options covering Manchester to Glossop.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
If you don't want to sit on the bus the whole way, time and price-wise travelling by train to Glossop and then bus to Sheffield isn't a bad option.

E.g. Bolton to Sheffield is £25.20 for a walk up Off Peak return.

Or Bolton-Glossop is £6.70 day return (or £13.20 for two singles), then £7.50 return for the bus.

Also: What route does this take into Sheffield? If it stops in close proximity to the University, it could be onto a winner with the student market.

radamfi

Established Member
Launching this service just before winter may not be the best time to introduce it, given the propensity for the Snake Pass to be blocked by snow and ice. However, it may be particularly useful for passengers travelling to Sheffield University, the Royal Hallamshire Hospital and Sheffield Children's Hospital, which are sited on or close to Glossop Road.

The former NWRCC used to operate this route together with Sheffield JOC many years ago. There were 4 journeys per day, summer only, taking 150 minutes, but without the benefit of the M67 to bypass Hyde.

Sheffield JOC also used to operate a joint service between Sheffield and Manchester via Woodhead. There were up to 5 journeys per day, some all year, taking 135 minutes, but again without the benefit of the M67 to bypass Hyde; the service ran via Ashton-under-Lyne. The last vestiges of this other service were operated by National Express until earlier this year, latterly just 2 journeys per day.

How long ago was this? 60s/70s? If the route hasn't been viable for the last 40+ years, why is it going to viable today?

daodao

Established Member
How long ago was this? 60s/70s? If the route hasn't been viable for the last 40+ years, why is it going to viable today?
I am astounded by the launch of this service and consider it inauspicious for it to be introduced at the start of winter. The eastern section as far as Ladybower is already served, but increasing the frequency to hourly may encourage use. Passing Sheffield University and the Royal Hallamshire Hospital may pick up some custom. It may be used by tourists/hikers on summer weekends - at one time Derbyshire CC used to fund such services across the Snake Pass. However, overall, I would seriously question its long-term viability.

Ianno87

Veteran Member

Student market quite different
ENTCS passes
Employment patters with longer commutes
Parallel railway service with relatively poor journey time / capacity / price

Having said that, I'll be surprised if this service is still going in 2 years time (but I wish them well and for it to be successful)