• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hulley's of Baslow

Alexbus12

Hulleys is still under fairly new ownership and Management, with the new owner willing to take risks. I hope it works out for them, their new Alton Towers route which he launched seems to be working out.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ALEMASTER

Hulleys already run a subsidised local bus service on the Sheffield-Ladybower section (which then drops down through Bamford and continues to Castleton or Bakewell) so I imagine they are expanding on that base.

There is some demand for travel from Sheffield to Glossop which isn't catered for by the train unless you go all the way into Manchester, change trains and double back. The beginning of the Snake Pass is also a popular starting point for walks in the hills. The route also takes in the University of Sheffield so may attract budget conscious students and then there are residents of the West Sheffield suburb of Crosspool who may find the bus quicker to Manchester if you take the travel time to Sheffield station to catch the train into account. Another little note is the last bus from Manchester on Saturday night is later than the last train.

So it has potential...

A downside is the Snake Pass regularly gets closed by snow in the winter, which is why the trains get so busy at that time of year!

Killingworth

Established Member
Hulleys already run a subsidised local bus service on the Sheffield-Ladybower section (which then drops down through Bamford and continues to Castleton or Bakewell) so I imagine they are expanding on that base.

There is some demand for travel from Sheffield to Glossop which isn't catered for by the train unless you go all the way into Manchester, change trains and double back. The beginning of the Snake Pass is also a popular starting point for walks in the hills. The route also takes in the University of Sheffield so may attract budget conscious students and then there are residents of the West Sheffield suburb of Crosspool who may find the bus quicker to Manchester if you take the travel time to Sheffield station to catch the train into account. Another little note is the last bus from Manchester on Saturday night is later than the last train.

So it has potential...

A downside is the Snake Pass regularly gets closed by snow in the winter, which is why the trains get so busy at that time of year!

Since the end of lockdown masked Chinese students have been travelling by train to Bamford for the Derwent reservoirs. That part of the route should be popular, particularly on nice days.

It's not just snow and ice that closes the Snake Pass. In most years small landslides occur and subsidence in the road surface is common, hence the undulations that can cause quite a bumpy ride!

RELL6L

I think Sir Humphrey would describe this route as “courageous”. The running time in Manchester looks optimistic at least in ‘normal’ times and I wonder how often the Snake Pass is closed in a ‘normal’ winter.
But it’s very well put together, with two vehicles on the X57 plus one on the X56 starting at Glossop at 9.15 and finishing there at 3.15, presumably around a school contract, making an hourly service between Glossop and Manchester and providing a service to an area just largely abandoned by Stagecoach. Then with the 257, currently 275, an hourly service between Ladybower and Sheffield also with good connections at Ladybower to do say Bakewell to Glossop. One would think the current 275 timetable was designed in contemplation of this.
I really hope it finds there is a market and succeeds. I shall be trying to sample it as soon as possible.

markymark2000

On Moderation
Hulleys is still under fairly new ownership and Management, with the new owner willing to take risks. I hope it works out for them, their new Alton Towers route which he launched seems to be working out.
New ownership and management? Not heard that one before.
The Alton Towers route must be working out as I head they had 3 buses out on it the other week on the round trip.

I think Sir Humphrey would describe this route as “courageous”. The running time in Manchester looks optimistic at least in ‘normal’ times and I wonder how often the Snake Pass is closed in a ‘normal’ winter.
But it’s very well put together, with two vehicles on the X57 plus one on the X56 starting at Glossop at 9.15 and finishing there at 3.15, presumably around a school contract, making an hourly service between Glossop and Manchester and providing a service to an area just largely abandoned by Stagecoach. Then with the 257, currently 275, an hourly service between Ladybower and Sheffield also with good connections at Ladybower to do say Bakewell to Glossop. One would think the current 275 timetable was designed in contemplation of this.
I really hope it finds there is a market and succeeds. I shall be trying to sample it as soon as possible.
I thought the same about the X56 but it runs on Saturdays as well and I don't know of any schools open on Saturdays.

RELL6L

New ownership and management? Not heard that one before.
The Alton Towers route must be working out as I head they had 3 buses out on it the other week on the round trip.

I thought the same about the X56 but it runs on Saturdays as well and I don't know of any schools open on Saturdays.
Agreed and it also runs on non schooldays, but it’s not unusual to run a bus between school runs on school days but also run the same service on other days given that the vehicles and drivers are available- including many market day services

Statto

Established Member
National Express operated the 350 Liverpool-Cambridge-East Anglia via Manchester & Sheffield, it was timed to take around 90 minutes Manchester-Sheffield with 3 coaches a day Liverpool-Nottingham, the route from Hollingworth to Sheffield was via A628 & A616 serving Crowden-Langsett & Stocksbridge rather than going over the snake, so 90 minutes could be doable but tricky on the X57

Killingworth

Established Member
"The A57 Snake Pass, between Glossop and Bamford, is to be closed for repairs following landslips, Derbyshire County Council said.
The work is due to take place between 12 October and 25 October, the council added."

That's good timing!

johnnychips

Established Member
"The A57 Snake Pass, between Glossop and Bamford, is to be closed for repairs following landslips, Derbyshire County Council said.
The work is due to take place between 12 October and 25 October, the council added."

That's good timing!
It is, as the service starts on the 25th. So with good weather/work rate the repairs might be done by then.

Boo_

On Moderation
Is woodhead a viable alternative?
No as the core customer base is not for Manchester to Sheffield. by going by Woodhead, you miss out most of the route. They would have to go Hayfeild then Castleton Bamford to pick up route.

Shefford to Ladybower is the part of the route they feel will make it work for them as they have other routes that are used along that part.

markymark2000

On Moderation
No as the core customer base is not for Manchester to Sheffield. by going by Woodhead, you miss out most of the route. They would have to go Hayfeild then Castleton Bamford to pick up route.

Shefford to Ladybower is the part of the route they feel will make it work for them as they have other routes that are used along that part.
What would the journey time be like diverting via Castleton?

daodao

Established Member
Hulley's also appear to be expanding in other directions. The bus changes section of the Staffordshire County Council website lists a new service from 26/10/20 (route 171) from Bakewell to Leek, which the Traveline West Midlands website shows as running twice daily (except Sundays).

From 26 October 2020
Hulleys of Baslow routes
Service 171 is a new service operating 2 return trips, Monday Saturday, between Bakewell, Hartington and Leek.

Last edited by a moderator:

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
Please remember to provide a link to your source and a suitable quotation from that source when posting news about service updates. This is required by forum rules and is not optional!

Boo_

On Moderation
What would the journey time be like diverting via Castleton?

Your talking about 25 mins more.

If you did go over Woodhead they would have to Miss out about 34 miles of a route or Replace part of that route with other bus. and I would think they be doing driver change overs not in Manchester or Sheffield.

chessie

I cant provide a link to this as I haven't seen one yet so hopefully someone else can. In response to a comment about contactless payments on Facebook, Hulleys have replied suggesting contactless will be available across their entire network from the same date as the X57 launch

Boo_

On Moderation
I cant provide a link to this as I haven't seen one yet so hopefully someone else can. In response to a comment about contactless payments on Facebook, Hulleys have replied suggesting contactless will be available across their entire network from the same date as the X57 launch

Well it on their timetables. you would think all buses have contactless so it would be all routes.

Been posted by their own facebook profile someone asked

Someone asked about the route if road is still closed as due to reopen on 25th Oct.

We have been assured the road will reopen and if not, we will be given special permission to use the road.

Attachments

• 120339674_10158501755064876_6556704430237477157_o.jpg
    120339674_10158501755064876_6556704430237477157_o.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 62
Last edited:

markymark2000

On Moderation
Someone asked about the route if road is still closed as due to reopen on 25th Oct.

We have been assured the road will reopen and if not, we will be given special permission to use the road.
That is some special permission right there. I hope that sort of collaboration continues because I think that the snake pass closures could make or break the service in the long run (25 minutes is a long delay time).

Statto

Established Member
Your talking about 25 mins more.

If you did go over Woodhead they would have to Miss out about 34 miles of a route or Replace part of that route with other bus. and I would think they be doing driver change overs not in Manchester or Sheffield.

Only Hollingworth-Manchester would be covered if using the Woodhead route as a diversion, as i said National Express use the Woodhead route Manchester-Sheffield & call at Stocksbridge, the A57 goes a lot further to the South.

Boo_

On Moderation
Nope, contactless isn't available on any Hulleys bus as far as I am aware
Hulleys has posted on Facebook that they're going to be , contactless so will be going live on same day

Contactless payment will be available on all of our buses from Sunday 25 October

1601594223689.png

I wonder whether Hulley's recent expansiveness might be linked to a change of ownership?

Companies House appears to show a complete change in directors on 11th March 2020 - now just one (new) director, who appears also to be director of an art business in Chesterfield and a newly-formed "Newco" company, but no directorships with any other transport operations.

Killingworth

Established Member
I wonder whether Hulley's recent expansiveness might be linked to a change of ownership?

Companies House appears to show a complete change in directors on 11th March 2020 - now just one (new) director, who appears also to be director of an art business in Chesterfield and a newly-formed "Newco" company, but no directorships with any other transport operations.

Everything to do with the change, but I understand Alf has been involved within the company for some time and has had effective control for over a year. He is respected by his staff and leads from the front. He's got a very difficult time to woo more onto public transport.

Boo_

On Moderation
First day has not been issue free, due to Ladybower Reservoir as car park full so there been cars and vans blocking the route.
Ladybower Reservoir

Hulleys of Baslow has posted on Facebook and has also posted informing Ladybower Reservoir facebook account.

We apologise our Manchester and Sheffield buses are running 15 and 20 minutes late respectively, on their first journeys. This is being caused by queues of half a mile to access Fairholmes despite a sign saying 'site full". There are also cars parked on double yellow lines causing obstructions. Unfortunately this may cause minor delays for the rest of the day.

We've even had to send our manager director out to take a driver off for his break due to the considerable delay. We have since had to take the decision to turn at Fearfall Wood instead but we found that 2 large vans had parked there on double yellow lines too, making turning extremely difficult. We hope we don't have to look at reviewing how we serve the Upper Derwent Valley because of this. Is it possible to relocate at least one of your car park marshals down by the A57 when the site is full to prevent vehicles coming and parking illegally and causing us difficulty in providing a reliable service

Last edited by a moderator: