• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hulley's of Baslow

peterblue

It's a very nice route with great scenery along the Snake Pass and Ladybower Reservoir. The timetable does require a bit of tweaking as I was 10-15 late in both directions.

I caught the 1125 Manchester-Sheffield and 1540 Sheffield-Manchester.

Loading were fairly decent for day1 with 10 on the outbound journey and 5 on the return. A mixture of enthusiasts and walkers. Arriving in Manchester this evening and see a queue of about 5 people for the 1725 to sheffield. Very encouraging to see.

Attachments

• 20201025_162940.jpg
    20201025_162940.jpg
    2.2 MB · Views: 60
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

johnnychips

Established Member
Although I really hope this service works - and I will use it to see relatives in Glossop

Loading were fairly decent for day1 with 10 on the outbound journey and 5 on the return. A mixture of enthusiasts and walkers. Arriving in Manchester this evening and see a queue of about 5 people for the 1725 to sheffield. Very encouraging to see

That doesn’t sound too profitable.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Although I really hope this service works - and I will use it to see relatives in Glossop

Loading were fairly decent for day1 with 10 on the outbound journey and 5 on the return. A mixture of enthusiasts and walkers. Arriving in Manchester this evening and see a queue of about 5 people for the 1725 to sheffield. Very encouraging to see

That sounds very good for a first day, especially partly in Tier 3 restrictions!

Daniel740

On Moderation
It's a very nice route with great scenery along the Snake Pass and Ladybower Reservoir. The timetable does require a bit of tweaking as I was 10-15 late in both directions.

I caught the 1125 Manchester-Sheffield and 1540 Sheffield-Manchester.

Loading were fairly decent for day1 with 10 on the outbound journey and 5 on the return. A mixture of enthusiasts and walkers. Arriving in Manchester this evening and see a queue of about 5 people for the 1725 to sheffield. Very encouraging to see.

I’m betting everyone using the service has a free bus pass...

peterblue

It's the first day, and it's also a Sunday, and very few "regular" passengers will know about it. I think the loadings are good considering all that.

Llandudno

Established Member

I am amazed that there are that many passengers considering travelling outside of Greater Manchester and South Yorkshire is supposed to be for essential journeys only!

peterblue

I am amazed that there are that many passengers considering travelling outside of Greater Manchester and South Yorkshire is supposed to be for essential journeys only!

The legality of it is very murky. It's a grey area. There is no official lockdown imposed at present, thus by the letter of the law you are allowed to travel freely.

markymark2000

On Moderation
Agreed. My observation is that it takes 3-5 years to establish a totally new route to commercial levels.
Is that to break even or high profit margin levels?
If the latter, how long would you say that it takes for a route to break even?

Something which may be worth noting is that the fares are higher (not high, good value for money but higher than like a £2 single into town) and so pass reimbursement should be a bit higher. Also, if you think, just a few people paying means the trip could cover it's costs. In Sheffield on Sundays, the X57 replaces another route and so there is potential there for existing demand to be satisfied so helping it to cover costs a bit more.

eastwestdivide

Established Member
Review of a trip on the service on this blog:
Pretty favourable, but with doubts over its viability being launched in the current crisis:
I truly wish Hulleys all the very best for their new venture. I do hope it can survive the winter as it’ll offer an unrivalled scenic bus journey in the better weather of spring and summer all the more so as Tier 3 restrictions will hopefully have been eased by then.

johnnychips

Established Member
I took the X57 for a necessary reason last Saturday, to Hollingworth. I assumed from the publicity it just stopped at Hollingworth after Glossop, then Manchester. In fact it stopped at all stops, and the driver dropped me off at Mottram, which is where I wanted to actually be, saving a walk.

I wanted to return from Glossop, and the timetable on the website said Glossop Henry St at 1625. I arrived at 1620, and I found a sign saying the stop had moved to the main road and would now depart at 1615.

The next bus was at 1755 from Glossop, so I took a bus ride to Hollingworth and back to keep warm. The bus arrived at Glossop ten minutes early so it’s a good job I hadn’t wanted to get on at Hollingworth, departure time 1745.

I emailed Hulleys to inform them that their weblink connected to their old timetable, and this has now been corrected, but without a reply or apology.

This link deserves to succeed but at the moment it seems a bit amateurish.

Boo_

On Moderation
The bus should have waited at Glossop as it a timing point. If a bus leaves 1 min early the Traffic Commissioner (TC) could fine them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hardcastle

Possibly teething problems let's hope it settles down & is a success. Does anyone know how the loadings are !.

Boo_

On Moderation
I don`t see a good reason for the bus to not pickup at Gorton market / Belle vue / Ardwick may pick up a few who dont buy Stagecoach only tickets. could also work with it being pickup outbound and drop off only inbound.

Last edited:

markymark2000

On Moderation
I don`t see a good reason for the bus to not pickup at Gorton market / Belle vue / Ardwick may pick up a few who dont buy Stagecoach only tickets. oe be pickup outbound and drop off only inbound.
IT gives an express aspect to the service and makes it feel much faster. The stops would be lightly used as well due to the amount of Stagecoach buses. I think that would also hinder the ability to divert. Admittedly not possible in the timetable but it could help reduce the amount of delay. Similar to CityZap MCR not stopping between Manchester and Chadderton.

Boo_

On Moderation
IT gives an express aspect to the service and makes it feel much faster. The stops would be lightly used as well due to the amount of Stagecoach buses. I think that would also hinder the ability to divert. Admittedly not possible in the timetable but it could help reduce the amount of delay. Similar to CityZap MCR not stopping between Manchester and Chadderton.

but it not a express bus it stops along round once it gets off motorway. A fare is a fare there very limited express bus routes. Unless buses are full or you run the local stopping service your just turning away money. service picks up within Sheffled. City Zap missed out on passengers there would not been many but it still income. Look at X43 that picks every few stops into Manchester and does pick and drop off many and people do board to go Burney along route.

markymark2000

On Moderation
A fare is a fare there very limited express bus routes. Unless buses are full or you run the local stopping service your just turning away money. service picks up within Sheffled. City Zap missed out on passengers there would not been many but it still income. Look at X43 that picks every few stops into Manchester and does pick and drop off many and people do board to go Burney along route.
There are plenty of limited stop services out there which are limited stop. The X43 stops at a few stops because that is how Transdev want to run the service. The 'Fast' buses only stop on Rochdale Road because of the driving hours regulations which state passengers must be able to make local journeys.

Hulleys intention is clearly to get longer distance passengers and keep the service punctual. The route into Manchester has a lot of potential diversions to avoid congestion. Sheffield however doesn't have as many, the change of disruption is much lower and it's an area which Hulleys already know with their other services. Manchester is new territory for them and with how unpredictable the city can be, it's best to be prepared for the delays.
I think the argument for revenue is valid but you risk losing more passengers with slower journeys and less reliable services. If Hulleys find Hyde Road reliable, there is scope to then add in more stops but it's no good having all the stops in and then realising that you can't divert away from the congestion as you have passengers waiting.

Boo_

On Moderation
There are plenty of limited stop services out there which are limited stop. The X43 stops at a few stops because that is how Transdev want to run the service. The 'Fast' buses only stop on Rochdale Road because of the driving hours regulations which state passengers must be able to make local journeys.

Hulleys intention is clearly to get longer distance passengers and keep the service punctual. The route into Manchester has a lot of potential diversions to avoid congestion. Sheffield however doesn't have as many, the change of disruption is much lower and it's an area which Hulleys already know with their other services. Manchester is new territory for them and with how unpredictable the city can be, it's best to be prepared for the delays.
I think the argument for revenue is valid but you risk losing more passengers with slower journeys and less reliable services. If Hulleys find Hyde Road reliable, there is scope to then add in more stops but it's no good having all the stops in and then realising that you can't divert away from the congestion as you have passengers waiting.
The X43 Fast has to have 1 stop just before M60 as it about 18 miles. from city centre otherwise it would have to be on EU regs. I would not take any other route into Manchester then A57 You don't win trying any other route as it all now dual carriageway all the way. Was same with megabus going to Leeds there was little in whatever route you take as when one gets busy people flood the other route.
And sticking to core route means in breakdown other buses can help reason rail replacement services often are told a route. ( but I can say drivers never get given the pace notes but they do get sent out)

johnnychips

Established Member
Possibly teething problems let's hope it settles down & is a success. Does anyone know how the loadings are !.
When I went last Saturday at 1130
1 Sheffield to Ladybower
1 Sheffield to Manchester
1 Sheffield to Mottram
2 Dinting to Manchester

Back at 1755
1 Glossop to Sheffield

The driver showed me his ticket machine and the last stop shown before Manchester is Mottram Moor, which would allow him/her to avoid the big queue up to Mottram traffic lights, if there is one, by getting in the right hand lane and diverting via Stalybridge. I have been on a National Express coach which has done this.

Hardcastle

When I went last Saturday at 1130
1 Sheffield to Ladybower
1 Sheffield to Manchester
1 Sheffield to Mottram
2 Dinting to Manchester

Back at 1755
1 Glossop to Sheffield

The driver showed me his ticket machine and the last stop shown before Manchester is Mottram Moor, which would allow him/her to avoid the big queue up to Mottram traffic lights, if there is one, by getting in the right hand lane and diverting via Stalybridge. I have been on a National Express coach which has done this.
Not that good if its carrying fresh air around i really want to do a run on this but as i live in Preston i need the travel restrictions to be relaxed plus the daylight hours are quite restricted atm i hope it survives as come summer i will use it a few times for walks it's a untouched area for me.

These sort of loadings reflect the Stagecoach X1 Nottingham to Chesterfield. That started in October 2019. Most of the buses seemed to be carrying low single figures - just one or two exceptions. It stopped running with lockdown in March. I think it could have worked - especially over a normal spring/summer- a bit more publicity at stops would have helped - not even a timetable up at the Designer Outlet stop - no number up on my local bus stop just a timetable. Hulleys appear to have got the publicity level right, though the constant timetable amendments and October start date probably don't help. Starting it in September when the Unis went back might have been more beneficial. It may work in the long term, just sadly not with the current restrictions.

Hardcastle

X57 Sunday service revisions coming up plus its planned into next summer see their facebook page for updates. And Boxing Day service too. Theres a article in the January issue of Country Walking magazine page 13 which helps to promote the service.

Last edited:

ALEMASTER

X57 Sunday service revisions coming up plus its planned into next summer see their facebook page for updates. And Boxing Day service too. Theres a article in the January issue of Country Walking magazine page 13 which helps to promote the service.
Yes, Bamford is being removed from the route to speed things up a little. Additionally on Sundays the X57 is to interwork with the X71 to run Manchester-Sheffield-Chesterfield-Bakewell.

Boxing day sees three Sheffield-Manchester trips in each direction.
(Timetable pictured below)
hulleysx57DEc20.jpg
Mod note: please ensure images are adequately described, and please include a link to the source. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:

Hardcastle

Yes, Bamford is being removed from the route to speed things up a little. Additionally on Sundays the X57 is to interwork with the X71 to run Manchester-Sheffield-Chesterfield-Bakewell.

Boxing day sees three Sheffield-Manchester trips in each direction.
View attachment 86744
Thanks for putting the new timetable up as i had not the time to do so the more publicity the better.

tbtc

Veteran Member
6th :
- Improved Sunday service. Faster journeys, buses no longer serve Bamford but all journeys will serve Fairholmes. All trips will operate as through journeys to/from Bakewell via Chesterfield as service X71. Change of bus not necessary and through fares are available.
- Improved Sunday service. Increased from 4 to 6 journeys in each direction and extended to/from Sheffield. Most journeys continue beyond Sheffield to/from Manchester via Glossop as service SnakeX57. Change of bus not necessary and through fares available.
- - - - -
:
- A special service will operate 3 journeys in each direction.
- - - - -
:
- An improved level of service including earlier arrival time into Alton Towers and extra journeys to Hartington.
- - - - -
Details of service arrangements over the festive period will be posted in due course.

Really rather impressive, considering the timing (starting the service just as we went back into lockdown, a new route through a touristy part of the country starting just as the clocks went back and any hope of being out for a country walk after four o'clock faded...) - I'm really impressed with the proactive way that Hulleys are planning and marketing their services (been a while since we've had an operator like that round these parts - TM Travel used to be good at that kind of thing before the Wellglade takeover removed a lot of the "spark" that they previously had)

chessie

Also to note, and its my opinion only how I have read it...theres a comment on their Facebook page that implies the X71/X57 through buses from Bakewell - Chesterfield -Sheffield then Manchester maybe a trial on Sundays to be potentially rolled out further if it works. Personally I think this would be great, not for the end to end journey but for the many connections this would create en-route

ALEMASTER

Also to note, and its my opinion only how I have read it...theres a comment on their Facebook page that implies the X71/X57 through buses from Bakewell - Chesterfield -Sheffield then Manchester maybe a trial on Sundays to be potentially rolled out further if it works. Personally I think this would be great, not for the end to end journey but for the many connections this would create en-route
It is an interesting idea, a somewhat circuitous route though. The 257 runs from Yorkshire Bridge to Bakewell in 43 minutes, on the X57/X71 via Sheffield and Chesterfield it is around 90 minutes!

----------------------------------------------------

The X57 service is suspended this afternoon due to the winter weather on the Snake Pass. Here is a photo of a bus stop on that part of the route, posted on Twitter by Derbyshire Police, that illustrates why Hulleys made that decision!
Snakepassbusstop041220.jpg

Established Member
The bus which arrives into Manchester for around 19:00 has passed me twice last week (during lockdown) in Manchester city centre. Both times there were precisely zero passengers onboard. I really do hope the route is successful, but only time will tell in the current circumstances.

I did actually consider a trip on it today but decided against it given the weather and took the train instead.