• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hulley's of Baslow

Killingworth

Established Member
Saw a Hulleys double decker stopped on road down from Fox House about 2 today. It was grim above 700 feet! Not good for any vehicles.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

markymark2000

On Moderation
The bus which arrives into Manchester for around 19:00 has passed me twice last week (during lockdown) in Manchester city centre. Both times there were precisely zero passengers onboard. I really do hope the route is successful, but only time will tell in the current circumstances.

I did actually consider a trip on it today but decided against it given the weather and took the train instead.
When Manchester and Sheffield come out of tier 3, I will take a ride on it and support it but it's not worth the risk right now.

route101

Established Member
Hopefully next spring or summer i can sample this route. Hopefully it sticks around.

chessie

Love me snow and that photos torture as I really enjoy walking in it :D As usual we have had a minute of snow here where I live and its not settled but I can see the hills out of the bedroom window that are white over, ordinarily I would also be on the bus today to get out but I am not as we are tier 3 so I am behaving myself....locally, many routes are well down on passengers still since the commencement of the first lockdown really

Llandudno

Established Member
Hulleys operating three round trips on Boxing Day on X57 Sheffield-Glossop-Manchester

Will this be the only stage carriage bus service running in Derbyshire on Boxing Day?

ag51ruk

Hulleys operating three round trips on Boxing Day on X57 Sheffield-Glossop-Manchester

Will this be the only stage carriage bus service running in Derbyshire on Boxing Day?
Skylink Derby and Nottingham are running a Sunday service on Boxing Day

Ianno87

Veteran Member

Could actually be a shrewd move with the limited Christmas travel window.

johnnychips

Established Member
Last Saturday when the Snake was blocked in the morning, Hulley’s didn’t cancel the service at 0930 but ran over Woodhead, which I thought was excellent. Four on, one to Mottram and three to Manchester. Coming back on the 1615 from Glossop, me on to Sheffield, joined by four others from Crosspool.

M60lad

Out of interest how many routes are available to Hulleys if the direct route via Snake Pass is unavailable, obviously there's the Woodhead Pass but are there any others?

unlevel42

Out of interest how many routes are available to Hulleys if the direct route via Snake Pass is unavailable, obviously there's the Woodhead Pass but are there any others?
via A6
Ladybower, Bamford, Bradwell, Peak Forest*, Sparrowpit* A6 (Hayfield Glossop) Manchester
* or via Winnats Pass which was used last summer (2019)by a circular Edale Castleton bus service.

Last edited:

Killingworth

Established Member
A6 to Chapel but a bus can't use Winnats Pass (nor should a car in bad snow) so the Sparrowpit route provides the next bet. A very wide sweep through Bradwell and down to Bamford to get back on route.

jtuk

X57 Sunday service revisions coming up plus its planned into next summer see their facebook page for updates. And Boxing Day service too. Theres a article in the January issue of Country Walking magazine page 13 which helps to promote the service.
Not read past this point, but this would have been very useful last year when I needed to get to Sheffield and back for the football. Obviously nobody could be bothered to run trains, leaving the only option as National Express with a huge layover in Leeds. Not something I'd use regularly, but I can see how this would have a chance once people have incentive for leisure travel again

D365

Veteran Member
via A6
Ladybower, Bamford, Bradwell, Peak Forest*, Sparrowpit* A6 (Hayfield Glossop) Manchester
* or via Winnats Pass which was used last summer (2019)by a circular Edale Castleton bus service.
I assume that was going into Castleton, rather than the other way...

unlevel42

I assume that was going into Castleton, rather than the other way...
The bus ran up and down the pass to/from Blue John Mine.
The buses were not "full size" and they managed fine.
Coaches have done it as well with the most difficult bit being the junction at the very bottom.
In the past rail replacement buses have used Winnats and the brave even used Barber Booth.
The last time the rail replacement I used went from Stockport to Stocksbridge to M1 and the Parkway.

D365

Veteran Member
The bus ran up and down the pass to/from Blue John Mine.
The buses were not "full size" and they managed fine.
Coaches have done it as well with the most difficult bit being the junction at the very bottom.
In the past rail replacement buses have used Winnats and the brave even used Barber Booth.
The last time the rail replacement I used went from Stockport to Stocksbridge to M1 and the Parkway.
Goodness, that must be quite an experience.

Killingworth

Established Member
Winnars Pass has a prohibition on all but local buses, the small buses used for Castleon, Edale, Hope circuit. The space to pass other traffic is very limited and passage through the Pass is not recommended to anyone, even by 4x4s, when snow sets in.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Winnars Pass has a prohibition on all but local buses, the small buses used for Castleon, Edale, Hope circuit. The space to pass other traffic is very limited and passage through the Pass is not recommended to anyone, even by 4x4s, when snow sets in.

Of course, unless it is done by a very specific Regulation applying to that road alone, "local buses" on a traffic restriction doesn't mean the ones from the nearest town, it means any registered local bus service (as opposed to a non-registered commercial coach service[1] or a private tourist coach), which this will certainly be.

[1] The UCOC X5 is a registered local bus service, or rather technically a string of them. Some NatEx operations are as well. It doesn't have to be an Optare Solo belonging to Bob's Buses of Middleofnowhereington to be a local bus :)

unlevel42

The bus company and drivers are/were very, very local and very much on their own territory.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
The bus company and drivers are/were very, very local and very much on their own territory.

I'm sure they were. But my point was that if the restriction is "local buses only", normally signed by the bus pictogram with "local" printed across it in white, then any registered local bus service that is registered to pass down that route can do so, even if the full route happens to be from Manchester to Sheffield. Possibly also unplanned diversions, though I don't know that for certain. Whereas a locally owned bus on a private hire can't.

There could be a dedicated Regulation for that road which specifies what that means, but I doubt it.

unlevel42

There is a certain way of doing things in the Peak which includes that prohibition signs are an extremely good idea for the tens of thousands of visitors who flood the area, but on a soggy Sunday in January when two passengers on a Rail Replacement need to get somewhere they will get it done, other who live and work will understand if a sign is interpreted differently.
Derbyshire and Cheshire have a habit of not improving certain roads in order to dissuade usage of unsuitable routes. Many locals see this as a necessary evil to protect them from being inundated by tourists.
Unfortunately the main road linking Sheffield and the A6 has never reopened so Winnats is our normal route.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
FWIW this is the signage on the Winnats:

1609688203309.png
no over 7.5 tons except for access, clearway for 1.5 miles, no buses except local buses, sign to Blue John Cavern

Which actually means you can't take a 3.5 tonne 17 seater minibus (or a 12 seat Land Rover, which is legally a minibus) down there unless it's on service, if I read it right. Though I doubt there's much enforcement, as you say, unless you do something really stupid or cause an accident.

philthetube

Established Member
When is a bus a bus, when it is licenced as such or when it has a specific number of seats,

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
When is a bus a bus, when it is licenced as such or when it has a specific number of seats,

A bus is a vehicle of class D (>=18 seats including driver) or D1 (<= 17 and >= 10 seats including driver). Though a vehicle does not cease to be of class D or D1 by removing some seats unless you re-register it as class B, C or C1 as appropriate.

A local bus is (unless there are special Regulations here) a bus operating a registered local bus route.

Llandudno

Established Member
According to a Tweet put out by Hulleys (https://twitter.com/hulleysofbaslow/status/1368683898138419207?s=19) most X57 journeys will be extended to Manchester Airport as of Monday 17th May.
Perhaps Hulleys are trying to get established on the Sheffield to Manchester Airport in readiness for the possible withdrawal of through trains from Sheffield to Manchester Airport in May 2022!

Quite a few innovations planned including extensions of the X70 Chesterfield to Bakewell alternating between Matlock and Buxton, plus late evening journeys between Bakewell and Chesterfield on Friday and Saturday nights.

D365

Veteran Member

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
Even if TPE South hadn't been withdrawn, that will be convenient for University of Sheffield and Broomhill/Crosspool residents.
Indeed. And when was the last time Glossop had through services to Manchester Airport?