• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hulley's of Baslow

Ianno87

Veteran Member
Indeed. And when was the last time Glossop had through services to Manchester Airport?

I'm not aware of any direct link having previously existed.

Only concern is how attractive the journey time to/from the Airport would be with a detour via the City Centre; is risking getting stuck in traffic when you've got a flight to catch going to be palatable? Full marks to Hulleys for trying, nonetheless.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Llandudno

Established Member
I'm not aware of any direct link having previously existed.

Only concern is how attractive the journey time to/from the Airport would be with a detour via the City Centre; is risking getting stuck in traffic when you've got a flight to catch going to be palatable? Full marks to Hulleys for trying, nonetheless.
Maybe the target audience is for Airport and nearby business workers from the Glossop area.

The first bus departs Sheffield at 0505!

Llandudno

Established Member
Who'll either drive or get the train & change at Piccadilly as that'll be much quicker
Agree, it does seem a strange option and may cause timekeeping issues, you can’t really turn a bus short at Manchester and omit the airport section if you are running late in case there is someone at the Airport with a Hulleys bus ticket returning to Sheffield.

Killingworth

Established Member
Who'll either drive or get the train & change at Piccadilly as that'll be much quicker
I tried the 5.15 departure from Dore to the Airport soon after it first began stopping there. 3 others boarded at Dore to join those already aboard from Sheffield. As far as I could tell nobody got off the train until the Airport. Some are commuting daily, some flight crew and some passengers. I suspect most would be happier to change trains, use a taxi or drive than take a bus from Sheffield that will take longer and more vulnerable to weather.

Of course residents of Glossop may opt for the direct bus but even from there changing trains may be a better option. It will be very challenging to keep to the advertised timetable end to end.

Hulleys needs to inherit some decent buses or even coaches. Travelling from Sheffield to Manchester Airport on an Enviro 200 or Solo let alone their other fleet ain't attractive in comparison to train and the 350 national express bus (despite being more costly).

cnjb8

Established Member
Hulleys needs to inherit some decent buses or even coaches. Travelling from Sheffield to Manchester Airport on an Enviro 200 or Solo let alone their other fleet ain't attractive in comparison to train and the 350 national express bus (despite being more costly).
You are right, they do have a Volvo B7RLE that could be used on it, but I'm not sure what the PVR is/will be.
Hulleys have just acquired a StreetLite, wouldn't want that on the X57!

tbtc

Veteran Member
One problem with the services is that the X57 runs from Sheffield Interchange like a 120 (Flat Street, Fitzalan Square, High Street, Church Street, West Street, Glossop Road), whilst the 257 runs from Sheffield Interchange like the old 273/274/275 did (Paternoster Row, Brown Street, Furnival Gate, Moore Street and up the Ring Road, where it joins the same route as the X57 by the University tram stop) - this means that there are no common bus stops between the Interchange and Brook Hill (near the Students Union etc) - so the "hourly" service from Sheffield to Ladybower isn't hourly for the first mile out of town - not sure why though? Both routes have their merits (it just seems odd to have them running different ways):

The advantage of the X57 route is that it follows the same stops as the 51 (First's ex-Overground service up the A57 to Crosspool), so better for local passengers (e.g. there's quite a section of "urban" A57 beyond Crosspool shops, where residents might have to walk to/from the Sandygate area which the 51 serves instead, so the Hulleys service could be quite useful for them

The advantage of the 257 route is that it follows similar stops as the 271/272 (First/ Hulleys's Hope Valley/ Castleton services) and the 218 (TM's much faster Bakewell service) so better for longer distance passengers wanting to board the first service from Sheffield to Bamford/ Hathersage/ Baslow/ Bakewell)

Two bi-hourly services though... surely it'd be better to just pick one route (in central Sheffield) instead?

Manclad83

You can't fault Hulleys for their innovation and ambition. Manchester Airport though..... it's a tough one going via Central Manchester. I just don't see it working unfortunately.

To make it work they would be better off permanently canning the X56 (Glossop Shirebrook-Manchester) and operating a Sheffield-Glossop-Gamesley-Marple-Stepping Hill-Stockport-M60-Manchester Airport every 120 minutes, Sheffield-Glossop every 60 mins when combined with the current X57.

This would open up journey opportunities between Glossop and Stockport and would cancel out the current 394 tender.

The thing is, a Manchester Airport service has to be early to late and reasonably frequent. You won't get too many air passengers but if done correctly, it can capitalise on airport workers. High Peaks 199 does well but it appears (the timetable at least - I've never used it) to be a good service and reasonably well used to the airport after Stockport.

From the outset, I've never understood why the X56/X57 doesn't have a stop at Mottram and, in particular, why it doesn't come off the M67 at Hyde, straight into the bus station and straight back out and on to the motorway once again. That would open up a faster bus service from Hyde to Glossop and offer Hollingworth a link with it's Greater Manchester neighbour.

Someone was absolutely correct highlighting the nightmare of keeping to time serving the airport after Central Manchester. Those who know Hyde/Mottram/Glossop will know that the traffic in the area will already be a challenge to the current service at times. Incidentally, I've seen the X57 a couple of times recently off route in the Roe Cross area of Mottram. I'm assuming it was avoiding rush hour M67 traffic by getting off at Hyde and running through Newton and Matley Lane.

johnnychips

Established Member
I’ve been on the X57 twice, and both times the driver dropped me off at Hyde Rd in Mottram, just before the M67, when I asked him if it were possible. One kindly showed me the ticket machine, and the last ‘official’ stop was Mottram (Mottram Moor), which would allow for a deviation via Newton or Stalybridge without missing stops out.

Last edited:

M60lad

When the recent roadworks were ongoing on Hyde Road I do believe that a quite a few drivers were finding novel routes from Manchester-Mottram avoiding Hyde Road and I do believe some were utilising Ashton Old Road sometimes.

Its like High Peak and their 199 service with that being non-stop from Stockport to Airport their drivers are allowed to deviate from the normal route via M60 if something happens and there's quite a wide range of places where you can see their vehicles when this happens.

woodhouse122

Once Lockdown has finished I wouldn't mind trying out this service ,but seeing as it's only about £11 advance return on the train from Sheffield to Manchester and i have to endure at best a ride on a versa and at worst an ADL Dart instead of a class 195 i might have to think twice ;)

route101

Established Member
Once Lockdown has finished I wouldn't mind trying out this service ,but seeing as it's only about £11 advance return on the train from Sheffield to Manchester and i have to endure at best a ride on a versa and at worst an ADL Dart instead of a class 195 i might have to think twice ;)
The bus is something different. I would do it one way and get train back.

D365

Veteran Member
Agreed. Even bearing in mind that I normally drive Snakes Pass, I will be very tempted to do a bus/train journey.

ALEMASTER

I'd agree with that. The bus goes over the hills and reservoirs, the train through the valley and tunnels! Both spectacular scenery but from different angles!

RELL6L

I have now been on this route between Ladybower and Glossop and it is fantastic scenery.
I have written a full report (with pictures) in this thread

I am interested to know how this service is managed. It doesn't appear to interwork with anything at either end (normally), nowhere is particularly close to the depot, during the day two buses essentially go back and forth, so how do the drivers swap over and take breaks? Maybe the drivers work across with the 257 at Sheffield so they have a one hour break but a relief driver must come up somehow to facilitate this. Or is there an outstation in Sheffield where they are based? I've never heard anything of this and until Hulleys are on bustimes we can't really see any evidence of what goes where.

I saw that the X57 was going to extend to Manchester Airport. I'm not sure how long that adds to the journey, but does it make it a 6 hour round trip? Is there time for a break at the airport - if not isn't that against drivers hours rules? Or could it be a 5 hour round trip and proper interworking at Sheffield with the 257 on a 3 hour round trip circuit?

I note also that the X70 is going to extend hourly to Buxton. Could this conceivably be related? Station a car at Buxton and shuttle between there and the airport to feed drivers between here and the X57? Seems unlikely and logistically challenging and if you were going to do this then why not extend the X70 to the airport, non-stop from Buxton? That wouldn't really compete with the High Peak 199 - surely people don't often go all the way from Buxton to the airport.

Intrigued!

markymark2000

On Moderation
I saw that the X57 was going to extend to Manchester Airport. I'm not sure how long that adds to the journey, but does it make it a 6 hour round trip? Is there time for a break at the airport - if not isn't that against drivers hours rules? Or could it be a 5 hour round trip and proper interworking at Sheffield with the 257 on a 3 hour round trip circuit?

I note also that the X70 is going to extend hourly to Buxton. Could this conceivably be related? Station a car at Buxton and shuttle between there and the airport to feed drivers between here and the X57? Seems unlikely and logistically challenging and if you were going to do this then why not extend the X70 to the airport, non-stop from Buxton? That wouldn't really compete with the High Peak 199 - surely people don't often go all the way from Buxton to the airport.

Intrigued!
I think the X57 extensions to the Airport would be around 30 minutes each way (based on NatEx timings) and so this would be a 4h30-5h round trip which is legal. If they keep the Manchester - Sheffield times the same, they would have 1h 30 off at the airport.

I think the X70 extension to the Airport would be cool but very limited usage and I don't think it would be a goer, more so when Hulleys don't really compete with other firms, they seem to get on with other companies and so going over the 199 might cause some friction.

Cesarcollie

I think the X57 extensions to the Airport would be around 30 minutes each way (based on NatEx timings) and so this would be a 4h30-5h round trip which is legal. If they keep the Manchester - Sheffield times the same, they would have 1h 30 off at the airport.

I think the X70 extension to the Airport would be cool but very limited usage and I don't think it would be a goer, more so when Hulleys don't really compete with other firms, they seem to get on with other companies and so going over the 199 might cause some friction.

Depends on the distance. 5 1/2 hours ok under domestic rules. But if routes exceeds 50km (and isn’t split) then it’s 4 1/2 hours (plus a tacho).....

M60lad

Just as a general query when does the X70 extension to Buxton start? I can't seem to find any timetables for it anywhere yet even on Bus Times or on Hulley's own website.

RELL6L

Just as a general query when does the X70 extension to Buxton start? I can't seem to find any timetables for it anywhere yet even on Bus Times or on Hulley's own website.
Fair question, I wasn't sure where I saw it!

But I have found this on the home page of Hulley's website:
VISIT BUXTON
Our new Buxton service will run directly from Chesterfield on our X70 service, via Bakewell - Starts 12th April
Enjoy a day out with spectacular scenery

But it is after 12 April and it doesn't run to Buxton, or at least it doesn't appear so.
Half the journeys on the X70 have been linked with the 172 to Matlock, I think the idea was that the other half were going to run to Buxton.

I have now been on this route between Ladybower and Glossop and it is fantastic scenery.
I have written a full report (with pictures) in this thread

I am interested to know how this service is managed. It doesn't appear to interwork with anything at either end (normally), nowhere is particularly close to the depot, during the day two buses essentially go back and forth, so how do the drivers swap over and take breaks? Maybe the drivers work across with the 257 at Sheffield so they have a one hour break but a relief driver must come up somehow to facilitate this. Or is there an outstation in Sheffield where they are based? I've never heard anything of this and until Hulleys are on bustimes we can't really see any evidence of what goes where.

Intrigued!
Driver changeovers are done at Ladybower with the drivers coming from Baslow by car.

Deerfold

Veteran Member
The service updates on their Facebook page have it happening from 17th May.

Some good news!

Here's our upcoming service changes. In addition to the summary below, please note that service X56 will not be reinstated. However, an improved SnakeX57 service will continue to Manchester Airport in response to local feedback. Service 171 runs at school times only and will not return as a regular service. Instead service 172 will serve these areas, restoring the link to Matlock but also allowing through journeys to and from Chesterfield as direct service X70.

Timetables will be available nearer the time.

Last edited by a moderator:

burns20

Today I had a day out on Hulleys starting at Manchester on the 0935 to Ladybower, over 20 passengers on and off to Ladybower, a good mix of Concessions and Fare Payers

A Hulleys Hopper Plus is excellent value and I covered 137 miles of their network

X57 Manchester-Ladybower
257 Ladybower-Bakewell
170 Bakewell-Chesterfield
63 Chesterfield-Matlock
172 Matlock-Bakewell
178 Bakewell-Shutts Lane-Bakewell
173 Bakewell-Castleton
272 Castleton-Sheffield

One observation is that timings are far too tight and all but the 170 and 173 services and were around 15-20 mins late arriving at the terminus after being thrashed around the lanes of Derbyshire

johnnychips

Established Member
I got the 0930 X57 from Sheffield today, and there were 32 on board. By the time the driver got into the suburbs of Sheffield, he was not letting people on who were only going to Ladybower, just people for Manchester.

Probably not in the correct place but Hulleys will be 100 years old next Thursday (29th April) and have just got this new bus. Fantastic reg '100 HOB' and looks magnificent.

In the late 70s they had an old bus with the plate PET 100. That must be worth a lot today: I wonder how much they sold it for.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
I got the 0930 X57 from Sheffield today, and there were 32 on board. By the time the driver got into the suburbs of Sheffield, he was not letting people on who were only going to Ladybower, just people for Manchester.

That's very respectable indeed. What sort of passengers? Passholders/shoppers etc?

RELL6L

Today I had a day out on Hulleys starting at Manchester on the 0935 to Ladybower, over 20 passengers on and off to Ladybower, a good mix of Concessions and Fare Payers

A Hulleys Hopper Plus is excellent value and I covered 137 miles of their network

X57 Manchester-Ladybower
257 Ladybower-Bakewell
170 Bakewell-Chesterfield
63 Chesterfield-Matlock
172 Matlock-Bakewell
178 Bakewell-Shutts Lane-Bakewell
173 Bakewell-Castleton
272 Castleton-Sheffield

One observation is that timings are far too tight and all but the 170 and 173 services and were around 15-20 mins late arriving at the terminus after being thrashed around the lanes of Derbyshire
I am pleased to see this and other reports of some good loadings on the X57. I was again in Glossop on Friday to catch an even more obscure route and I saw the X57s go past the main traffic lights around 10.20. The one heading to Manchester looked empty but the one heading to Sheffield had several aboard. Let’s hope these continue.

woodhouse122

I am pleased to see this and other reports of some good loadings on the X57. I was again in Glossop on Friday to catch an even more obscure route and I saw the X57s go past the main traffic lights around 10.20. The one heading to Manchester looked empty but the one heading to Sheffield had several aboard. Let’s hope these continue.
I did the route a few weeks ago , on the way to Manchester apart from a few hikers going to Derwent I was the only passenger on board ,coming back from Manchester I had the bus to myself till Rivelin dams when a few walkers got on to Sheffield interchange . Hoping this does better business in the future as it's nice to have a proper service to Manchester (only problem I can see is the service getting stuck in traffic coming into and out of Manchester during the rush hours)