• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Hulley's of Baslow

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Statto

Established Member
They seem like a company that likes to experiment so that's probably why.

Careful what you wish for, experimenting might be ok, but could well cost the business big time in the long term, i've seen it plenty of times bus companies experimenting with routes only to go belly up because of it.

johnnychips

Established Member
If they are going to serve Hyde bus station on the X57, then they may as well serve Mottram village properly. The two times I have wanted to go there it was ‘ask the driver nicely‘ and hope they weren’t planning an esoteric route via Matley or Stalybridge if they thought the M67 might be dodgy.

Llandudno

Established Member
Careful what you wish for, experimenting might be ok, but could well cost the business big time in the long term, i've seen it plenty of times bus companies experimenting with routes only to go belly up because of it.
Yes, I hope they are not overstretching themselves, I guess the X57 and X70 have been running quite a while now, even during the pandemic and they must be reasonably pleased with the revenue they generate or they would have culled them by now.

I guess the issue is they can only innovate on routes where there is no commercial competition, there are far more lucrative routes in Sheffield and Chesterfield they could have a go at, but I am pretty certain Stagecoach and First would run them off the road.

Cesarcollie

Yes, I hope they are not overstretching themselves, I guess the X57 and X70 have been running quite a while now, even during the pandemic and they must be reasonably pleased with the revenue they generate or they would have culled them by now.

I guess the issue is they can only innovate on routes where there is no commercial competition, there are far more lucrative routes in Sheffield and Chesterfield they could have a go at, but I am pretty certain Stagecoach and First would run them off the road.

But even most ‘lucrative ‘ routes won’t allow two operators to make a profit, and that was before Covid. With patronage as it sits now, any route they chose to compete on, even if the existing operator just carried on as they are now, would inevitably drain cash like anything. So the only option for expansion is either new routes, or new links/variations. Such services, even if ultimately successful, usually take a long time to reach break-even. So to quote ‘Yes Minister’, these initiatives by Hulley’s are ‘courageous’. But I wish them well.

Roilshead

In yesterday's The Yorkshire Post it was reported that "northern leaders" are being given the option (by the Department for Transport) of accepting reduced rail services into Manchester (to reduce congestion into central Manchester stations) or a continuation of Covid-19 reductions in rail services - amongst the reductions is the withdrawal of direct Sheffied-Manchester Airport Transpennine Express (TPE) services. This might benefit Hulley's X57 - although it's hard to see where all the wheelie-cases that currently clutter TPE's carriages might be accommodated.

Established Member
The route Derby - Ashbourne - Leek - Macclesfield - Stockport - Manchester, and it's cutbacks to the current 108 and 109, serves very thin territory. Why Hulleys have decided it is worth a go is a mystery.
The old X1 Manchester - Derby used to be a popular route when I used it under First Group coach operation - it is what became the 393 but was dropped for an enhanced 392 that replaced the P1/391/392/393/11 in Cheshire.

Anyone know the route from the Airport to Macclesfield? Via Poynton would be nice but doubtful.

daodao

Established Member
X1 (Hulleys): New service introduced between Ashbourne and Manchester Airport via Leek, Macclesfield and Manchester Airport Viewing Park. Journeys will continue into Manchester as service X57. One Saturday journey will extend tofrom Alton Towers.
Anyone know the route from the Airport to Macclesfield? Via Poynton would be nice but doubtful.
The service appears to be routed via the Airport Viewing Park, so it is likely to run via Wilmslow along the A538 and use the tunnels under the airport runways. As for the route between Wilmslow and Macclesfield, it would probably use the Alderley Edge bypass and run via Monk's Heath; the more direct routes via Over Alderley (past the former Wizard pub) or via Prestbury are not particularly suitable for large buses.

Established Member
Yes the Lees Lane and McCann factory 19 service is an Optare Solo, think it's been an Enviro 200 in times gone by too?

Last edited by a moderator:

Established Member
What are the knock on consequences?

End to end traffic will not move from rail because simply, the price differential for most people doesn't outweigh the time. Even between Glossop and Manchester, the train still has a massive time advantage. It will get some from Hollingworth hopefully and in respect of Glossop, it probably would get some pass holders who would ordinarily not travel. It also creates new links to Sheffield that don't currently exist and it might also encourage some leisure usage from the two main cities INTO the peak district that the train cannot provide, and in that respect, might help to take a few cars off the road?

Presumably, the alternative of central control is to simply remove any perceived duplication? Remove National Express/Megabus as they cover the same routes as trains? Remove the bus every 15 mins from Darlington to Middlesbrough, or between Bath and Bristol?

Bus very rarely abstracts trade from trains. The opposite is how the case.

One for @darloscott - does this qualify for CBSSG? If the scheme is based on 2019 mileage, has is this covered? Genuine question as I'm not familiar with the conditions of the funding
Off topic, but the one time I did that by bus (April this year I think) I had the bus to myself the whole way!

M60lad

Out of interest I believe Snake Pass was shut yesterday so which way did X67 run to/from Manchester? I'm guessing it was via A628/A616.

ALEMASTER

I rode the X57 yesterday Sheffield-Glossop and back. Only a small number of passengers going all the way from Sheffield to Manchester but does a reasonable trade in Hulleys existing core business of hikers going out into the Peak District so I guess that is the base they are building the longer distance business on. The return trip was diverted, turned off the usual route in the centre of Glossop past the station and went via the Woodhead pass, Stocksbridge bypass, M1 southbound and Sheffield Parkway non-stop to Sheffield Interchange.

Achieved the 55 minute journey time Sheffield-Glossop in both directions, not bad when compared to the Stagecoach 25 which takes 45 minutes to do the 5 miles from Sheffield-Bradway!

RELL6L

traction22

If anyone would like to join me, I intend to travel on the first X1 ... assuming it's not too early.

Starmill

Veteran Member
Fares Advisor
The question recently arose if Hulleys accepted 'System One' travelcards in their normal area around Greater Manchester as I was travelling between Manchester and Glossop. The answer was yes and my ticket issued by Stagecoach was indeed accepted. This section on their website had been left blank. It is rather unhelpful that a reference to System One doesn't actually print on the ticket if you buy one from Metrolink or a railway station. If you buy one from Transdev the System One logo prints on the ticket in the place where the route branding would usually go.

Ianno87

Veteran Member
The question recently arose if Hulleys accepted 'System One' travelcards in their normal area around Greater Manchester as I was travelling between Manchester and Glossop. The answer was yes and my ticket issued by Stagecoach was indeed accepted. This section on their website had been left blank. It is rather unhelpful that a reference to System One doesn't actually print on the ticket if you buy one from Metrolink or a railway station. If you buy one from Transdev the System One logo prints on the ticket in the place where the route branding would usually go.

I've always found awareness of System One products amongst bus drivers to be generally very good. The only funny look I ever recall was showing a Tram+Bus Daysaver (printed on Yellow Metrolink stock) to a Stagecoach South Lancs driver on the 125 in Bolton a few years back, but was accepted after explanation.

Baxenden Bank

Established Member
Hulley's X1 is a replacement of the existing D & G routes 108 and 109 (Ashbourne - Leek and Leek - Macclesfield). Well it fits where it touches anyway, operating via the main roads. A revised D & G 108 service will continue to run between Cauldon, Leek and Rudyard, timetable on their website.

chessie

Out of interest I believe Snake Pass was shut yesterday so which way did X67 run to/from Manchester? I'm guessing it was via A628/A616.
I was visiting Castleton yesterday and an X57 went through there about 2.30pm along with shed loads of other traffic. This bus was probably en route when the accident happened though; I believe the others went via Woodhead.

M60lad

Considering Hulleys haven't got Ticketers are the machines that Hulleys use able to receive and send texts hence their drivers knowing if anything goes wrong on any part of their relevant routes so they can take the appropriate diversions if possible?

markymark2000

On Moderation
Considering Hulleys haven't got Ticketers are the machines that Hulleys use able to receive and send texts hence their drivers knowing if anything goes wrong on any part of their relevant routes so they can take the appropriate diversions if possible?
The Transmach site does say two way ticketing on the machine page.

(No quote as it is an image which shows the messaging, not the text)

ALEMASTER

Thanks - wonder what happened with SYPTE. Updating timetable in advance indeed (Still no sign of X98/9 on PTE site)
Suspect they haven't put the X98/X99 on as they are special excursion services and don't accept normal tickets.

I was visiting Castleton yesterday and an X57 went through there about 2.30pm along with shed loads of other traffic. This bus was probably en route when the accident happened though; I believe the others went via Woodhead.
That would be the logical diversion if the bus was already approaching Ladybower at that point, turn left through Bamford as per route 257 then up through Castleton and I'm guessing Chapel-en-le-frith

Redmike

Surely an X57 wouldn't be able to pass through Castleton as it wouldn't get up Winnats Pass. Of course back in the day the A625 went across Mam Tor but mother Nature had other ideas.

Djb1

Surely an X57 wouldn't be able to pass through Castleton as it wouldn't get up Winnats Pass. Of course back in the day the A625 went across Mam Tor but mother Nature had other ideas.
Various (usually Solo operated in recent years) routes have used Winnats Pass. I think the weekends-only Hope Valley Explorer still does.

samuel791

It's easy to get a full size saloon up and down Winnats Pass. TM Travel did this when the Sheffield-Chinley rail replacements were on last year.