• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Human element - manual vs automated announcements on trains.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Have been on a few cl-175 and 158 worked services in the last couple of weeks and thankfully none of them had the travel safe announcement - in all but one case the PIS appeared to be working correctly

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Parallel

Established Member
I reckon the automatic announcements on some Welsh services (150/158s) might be more annoying

After every stop it does the "Travel safer" advice in Welsh followed by it in English, and after certain stations it does an extra security announcement, taking over a minute.

Repeat every few minutes.
It is ridiculous on the Valley Lines network, the COVID message literally plays after every stop. It’s dreadful. Quite often the announcement doesn’t finish before the ‘We will be shortly be arriving at’ announcement kicks in.

I’d understand it playing after departing origin, large or interchange stations but after every station is nothing short of noise pollution in my opinion. Fortunately it hasn’t been added to the Class 175s.

talldave

Established Member
My partner recounted an amusing announcement from her recent travels, although annoyingly she can't remember what service she was on (probably one of tube, Southern or Thameslimk).

It went along the lines of ".... blah, blah, blah Covid stuff. The next stop will be....".

py_megapixel

Established Member
Re the news headlines I have to agree I don't want them forced down my throat. West Midlands Trains now have screens which show among other things a list of the news headlines. It's probably done with the best of intentions but in reality I find it overly intrusive.

pompeyfan

Established Member
RE the post about Siemens desiros, not true on all Desiro family… SWRs allow the pis code to be put in at any time and will play, on single units it will behave itself but on multi units you’re better off waiting for the driver to key on, and the code can only be entered on the leading unit as the display screens will get confused because of ASDO.

I think the SWR system is probably the best, it works really well, even on the heritage stock

Established Member
RE the post about Siemens desiros, not true on all Desiro family… SWRs allow the pis code to be put in at any time and will play, on single units it will behave itself but on multi units you’re better off waiting for the driver to key on, and the code can only be entered on the leading unit as the display screens will get confused because of ASDO.

I think the SWR system is probably the best, it works really well, even on the heritage stock
What heritage stock runs on SWR? They aren’t still running the old Southern slam door stock are they?

Scott1

I prefer automated next stop announcements. It frees the gaurd up, is consistent, and generally had less "waffle". In regards to repeating the same information the only time I do appreciate it is during disruption. I don't care if they actually provide any new info, I just really appreciate a genuine sorry from someone, even though it's not their fault.

SouthernR

It goes without saying that incorrect announcements are worse than no announcements, and automated messages are not immune from errors.
On one journey I made in 2014 -
The stop announcements on a Fort William - Glasgow train became unsynchronised.
The announcements on a TPE class 185 between Carlisle and Lancaster stated that the train was travelling north towards Glasgow. The train had actually reversed at Lockerbie, because of engineering work.

Status
Not open for further replies.