• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Huntingdon bay platform one

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bringback309s

It looks like platform one at Huntingdon, the bay platform doesn't see any scheduled services now. How did Northbound trains enter the platform previously on services such as the 16.22 that used to run from Kings Cross? Where are the crossovers?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
It looks like platform one at Huntingdon, the bay platform doesn't see any scheduled services now. How did Northbound trains enter the platform previously on services such as the 16.22 that used to run from Kings Cross? Where are the crossovers?
It would have required a shunt, the question was previously asked and answered here:

Last edited:

bramling

Veteran Member

The Saturday morning train used to run ECS from Peterborough and then simply shunt back into the bay.

The 16:22 King's Cross to Huntingdon didn't use the bay - it simply ran ECS to Connington where it reversed and ran back to Huntingdon, re-entering service in platform 2.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
Trailing direction bays were quite common during the construction of the railways as they saved having a facing point lock, many track layouts are a legacy from that where it’s not worth subsequently changing the layout.

As traffic was generally lighter in those days the trains would arrive elsewhere in the station and then shunt into the bay to stable prior to departure. This often worked well with steam hauled services as they wouldn’t be able to run around in the bay anyway.

Places which spring to mind where this occurs/occurred are Huntingdon, Oxted and Taunton, I’m sure there are many more!

4-SUB 4732

Established Member
The Saturday morning train used to run ECS from Peterborough and then simply shunt back into the bay.

The 16:22 King's Cross to Huntingdon didn't use the bay - it simply ran ECS to Connington where it reversed and ran back to Huntingdon, re-entering service in platform 2.

I remember that Saturday morning one well. Made very little sense (or so it felt) really, and that signal that only led to the Up Slow signal anyway was an odd one, but I digress. Does it even fit an 8/700 now? I want to say no.

bramling

Veteran Member
I remember that Saturday morning one well. Made very little sense (or so it felt) really, and that signal that only led to the Up Slow signal anyway was an odd one, but I digress. Does it even fit an 8/700 now? I want to say no.

I don't see why it shouldn't take a RLU, as the SA states the berth length as being 166m, which is only 1m shorter than King's Cross platform 9. So I'd say the answer is yes, unless there's any local arrangement. Of course RLUs are barely booked to see the Peterborough route, there have been the odd diagrammed working on weekends, but I'm not sure if this applies at the moment.

Likewise I never really saw why the Saturday morning move happened, the only things to think of are route knowledge retention, or even keeping the rails shiny. In reality the Huntingdon bay is more of a glorified siding for things like track machines, which just happens to double up as a bay platform.

Kite159

Veteran Member
IIRC that Saturday starter allowed for the previous Peterborough - London train to run semifast (St Neots & Biggleswade only).

Maybe pathing between Peterborough & Huntingdon was an issue to why it couldn't simply be a Peterborough - London stopper running a couple minutes behind that semifast.

OFFDN

The bay is of little to no use these days. 8 car 387s and 8 car 700/0s are not cleared to use it due to signal sighting issues.

Bikeman78

Established Member
Trailing direction bays were quite common during the construction of the railways as they saved having a facing point lock, many track layouts are a legacy from that where it’s not worth subsequently changing the layout.

As traffic was generally lighter in those days the trains would arrive elsewhere in the station and then shunt into the bay to stable prior to departure. This often worked well with steam hauled services as they wouldn’t be able to run around in the bay anyway.

Places which spring to mind where this occurs/occurred are Huntingdon, Oxted and Taunton, I’m sure there are many more!
Hereford is another example. I think the Birmingham trains used to do a double shunt to access it. More recently the signalling has been altered so the Birmingham trains reverse in the down loop and head back in service from that platform.

Status
Not open for further replies.