• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Iarnrod Eireann recruiting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Muse29

Hi all,

I've just moved to Dublin and Iarnrod Eireann have just announced that they are recruiting for trainee train drivers.

The process looks fairly similar to what one might go through in the UK. That said, the initial stage is a questionnaire which gets run through a computer to assess viability. Does anyone have any experience of this process in Ireland (or even the UK) who might be able to offer up some advice?

Thanks,
M

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

BTU

Hi all,

I've just moved to Dublin and Iarnrod Eireann have just announced that they are recruiting for trainee train drivers.

The process looks fairly similar to what one might go through in the UK. That said, the initial stage is a questionnaire which gets run through a computer to assess viability. Does anyone have any experience of this process in Ireland (or even the UK) who might be able to offer up some advice?

Thanks,
M
Theres tons of stuff on here regarding this topic.

Roqueandrolle

I have applied to this and gotten to round two, the online assesment stage. Am comfortable enough with the RAAT and Situational Judgement tests. Am obviously wanting to pratice more on the SCAAT element. I have looked through the stickied Group Bourdon thread, but am unsure as to which tools I should be using. SCAAT and Group Bourdon are different am I correct? Also, does anyone have experience of doing SCAAT online instead of on paper? The samples provided to be by IE are PDFs to download so cannot practise on my PC.

Muse29

I've just completed the online testing. Hoping that there will as many of the 5,000 applicants as possible worse than me over the first two stages!

The mini SCAAT is exactly like the PDF practice version they provide but you just use your mouse and click the letter when it appears. It's a bit rough on the wrist and those with better control of their mouse will obviously fare better than others. There are short practice examples before each stage so it's really making sure that you're happy that you can move your mouse quick enough.

I found the RAAT a bit tricky - confident in my answers but had to take some time to understand the question in relation to the material. The Situational Judgement was fairly self-explanatory though.

Good luck Roque - let me know how you felt you got on. Where have you applied to be based? I'm Dublin but would happily go anywhere in truth! (Maybe not Athlone....)

Last edited:

Roqueandrolle

I've just completed the online testing. Hoping that there will as many of the 5,000 applicants as possible worse than me over the first two stages!

The mini SCAAT is exactly like the PDF practice version they provide but you just use your mouse and click the letter when it appears. It's a bit rough on the wrist and those with better control of their mouse will obviously fare better than others. There are short practice examples before each stage so it's really making sure that you're happy that you can move your mouse quick enough.

I found the RAAT a bit tricky - confident in my answers but had to take some time to understand the question in relation to the material. The Situational Judgement was fairly self-explanatory though.

Good luck Roque - let me know how you felt you got on. Where have you applied to be based? I'm Dublin but would happily go anywhere in truth! (Maybe not Athlone....)

Hey Muse! Completed my assessments there over the weekend. Wow time is tight for the RAAT given the amount of comprehension needed. I think I did okay though! The SCAAT was just an awful strain on my eyes haha, felt like I was seeing double afterwards.

I'm Dublin too, would ideally like to stick in this area tbh. I live very close to Sydney Parade Dart station so would be handy out :D I wonder when we will hear about next stages (fingers crossed for both of us!)

Muse29

Just had an email to say that I met the standard and am now on the list to be contacted for an assessment day! Happy Friday!

Have you had anything Roque? - fingers crossed!

Roqueandrolle

Just had an email to say that I met the standard and am now on the list to be contacted for an assessment day! Happy Friday!

Have you had anything Roque? - fingers crossed!

I was just coming on to ask you had you hear anything! Delighted to say I got the same. That was a bit of a mad wait wasn't it? Interested to see how the process proceeds now!

Muse29

I was just coming on to ask you had you hear anything! Delighted to say I got the same. That was a bit of a mad wait wasn't it? Interested to see how the process proceeds now!

Amazing, congratulations! Yeah I thought there might be a wait whilst they sort invites for assessment centres but the email was fairly vague when explaining what happens next - just as and when jobs come up. But I thought there were jobs available! So guess we could be waiting 2 weeks or even months for an assessment centre invite....?

Roqueandrolle

Amazing, congratulations! Yeah I thought there might be a wait whilst they sort invites for assessment centres but the email was fairly vague when explaining what happens next - just as and when jobs come up. But I thought there were jobs available! So guess we could be waiting 2 weeks or even months for an assessment centre invite....?
I got my date for the Inchicore assessment! 11 December - not much study time for that 58 pages of sample papers!!!! :o

Muse29

I got my date for the Inchicore assessment! 11 December - not much study time for that 58 pages of sample papers!!!! :o
Mine's the 18th - hopefully you might able to let me know how you get on?? :)

Wishing you the best of luck - at least there's lots to be looking at to prepare us and we're not having to second guess at what might be put in front of us.

Does seem like the recruitment process will be very different to what people have to go through in the UK - no mention of Group Bourdon or a longer SCAAT.

Roqueandrolle

Mine's the 18th - hopefully you might able to let me know how you get on?? :)

Wishing you the best of luck - at least there's lots to be looking at to prepare us and we're not having to second guess at what might be put in front of us.

Does seem like the recruitment process will be very different to what people have to go through in the UK - no mention of Group Bourdon or a longer SCAAT.
Brilliant! And absolutely. Yes it does seem to be a totally different process, there does seem to be another SCAAR though, and there is the Visual Search Exercise at the end of the booklet which has already given me a headache, haha.

Muse29

Ah right yes my bad - hadn't got to that part of practice sample yet and didn't equate the "concentration test" with it being the SCAAT. I'm thankful it seems to be letters rather than shapes. I find the shapes much harder to find.

The second test, when I was doing it I thought to myself, "this is surely too easy..?" but I still got one wrong! :rolleyes: Trickier than one might think.

Roqueandrolle

Good luck tomorrow Roque! Give it everything and I'm sure you'll sail through 8-)
Hey Muse!

Think I did pretty well, unfortunately in the first test I didn't get time to read the final passage so I had to make some (un)educated guesses haha. You do not realise how quickly those ten minutes fly by whilst you're taking notes! There are only 3 tests in this phase, which is phase one of three. We find out after Christmas if we have progressed to phase 2. I definitely found the TFRS the hardest, simply due to the amount of information to take in and the short amount of time to do so! The TRP2 which is the one with the dials I found quite fun! Although it is a good bit different to the one in the practise booklet. Final one was the rWce which I found a nice bit of light relief after the first two! Just the listening comprehension and then a written comprehension piece.

You can choose whether or not to wear a mask during the tests, I think everyone in my group did. If you got one of the 15:30 slots, make sure to allow a LOT of time because the traffic in Inchicore was bonkers and I got there by the skin of my teeth! I will be sending you all the good vibes :D

Muse29

Hey Muse!

Think I did pretty well, unfortunately in the first test I didn't get time to read the final passage so I had to make some (un)educated guesses haha. You do not realise how quickly those ten minutes fly by whilst you're taking notes! There are only 3 tests in this phase, which is phase one of three. We find out after Christmas if we have progressed to phase 2. I definitely found the TFRS the hardest, simply due to the amount of information to take in and the short amount of time to do so! The TRP2 which is the one with the dials I found quite fun! Although it is a good bit different to the one in the practise booklet. Final one was the rWce which I found a nice bit of light relief after the first two! Just the listening comprehension and then a written comprehension piece.

You can choose whether or not to wear a mask during the tests, I think everyone in my group did. If you got one of the 15:30 slots, make sure to allow a LOT of time because the traffic in Inchicore was bonkers and I got there by the skin of my teeth! I will be sending you all the good vibes :D

Hey Roque - thanks for the post and glad that you felt it went well. Your feedback seems to be consistent with what I've heard previously about the TRFS. It's certainly the test I'm most nervous about but practice seems to have gone ok. It's interesting as I've spoken to a friend who has a PHD in learning and memory and she said that writing notes isn't the best way to remember information and testing yourself as you read the information is much more effective - but there would clearly be no time for that!

I am indeed in the 3.30pm group so thanks for the heads up on the traffic. The plan was to get there about an hour early but I may even head down earlier than that and pick up some food in Inchicore and go for a stroll there.

How many were in your group? I'm assuming they would be testing approx 20-25 in each meaning there's about 300 in total but that's a bit of a guess.

Roqueandrolle

Hey Roque - thanks for the post and glad that you felt it went well. Your feedback seems to be consistent with what I've heard previously about the TRFS. It's certainly the test I'm most nervous about but practice seems to have gone ok. It's interesting as I've spoken to a friend who has a PHD in learning and memory and she said that writing notes isn't the best way to remember information and testing yourself as you read the information is much more effective - but there would clearly be no time for that!

I am indeed in the 3.30pm group so thanks for the heads up on the traffic. The plan was to get there about an hour early but I may even head down earlier than that and pick up some food in Inchicore and go for a stroll there.

How many were in your group? I'm assuming they would be testing approx 20-25 in each meaning there's about 300 in total but that's a bit of a guess.
It's funny you say that about your friend with the PHD in Learning & Memory, as at the beginning of the TRFS the invigilator says "It's proven that taking notes helps you to remember information" - I'd certainly be leaning in favour of your friend's theory, as it certainly didn't feel like it helped me taking notes on the day haha. If you've the same invigilator, when she says "Pencils down and close the booklet" I tell you now to do it EXACTLY when she says it haha, she's got no time for dithering!

And no worries! I took the 40 from town and my god, it was stop-start the whole way, then I had a mad run through the housing estate to get there haha.

I think there was around 15 of us! Less than I expected but the room isn't huge so they are trying to keep numbers to a minimum I guess.

Let me know how you feel you went! I have - unexpectedly early - found out that I have progressed to Phase 2 ! A Christmas treat :D

Last edited:

Muse29

It's funny you say that about your friend with the PHD in Learning & Memory, as at the beginning of the TRFS the invigilator says "It's proven that taking notes helps you to remember information" - I'd certainly be leaning in favour of your friend's theory, as it certainly didn't feel like it helped me taking notes on the day haha. If you've the same invigilator, when she says "Pencils down and close the booklet" I tell you now to do it EXACTLY when she says it haha, she's got no time for dithering!

And no worries! I took the 40 from town and my god, it was stop-start the whole way, then I had a mad run through the housing estate to get there haha.

I think there was around 15 of us! Less than I expected but the room isn't huge so they are trying to keep numbers to a minimum I guess.

Let me know how you feel you went! I have - unexpectedly early - found out that I have progressed to Phase 2 ! A Christmas treat :D
That's amazing, well done! Great news to get ahead of Christmas! How did you find out? Did they email you out of the blue or did you chase?

I'm not sure how I went in truth! The TRFS was tough - I managed to read all the information but my note-taking wasn't particularly efficient I don't think. I had to guess at some of the answers and then for many more, I was going off my gut or saying to myself, "I think that is the answer." but not being confident. Just hoping that my subconscious brain recalled the information correctly. Problem is that we don't know what "good" looks like. If it's 50% then I think I'll be OK but if it's nearer to 70% then I'd be nervous!

TRP I'm hoping I did well at - I got through the vast majority of questions (and she did say that no one finishes it although I'm sure some must do).

The report writing was grand enough albeit, I know I didn't explain a couple of bits brilliantly but overall, it should be fine. The last report was child's play really.

They did say first couple of weeks of Jan for results and then phase 2 would be in Jan as well. I'm hoping that if you've had your result back already then whilst I may not get mine before Christmas, it should be before new year.

I counted 15 in the room and 5 didn't turn up. One person turned up 10 mins late! Not good!

Well - just had the email to say that I've made it to phase 2 as well! Delighted to get the news before Christmas!

Lots to be planning for!

Last edited:

Roqueandrolle

That's amazing, well done! Great news to get ahead of Christmas! How did you find out? Did they email you out of the blue or did you chase?

I'm not sure how I went in truth! The TRFS was tough - I managed to read all the information but my note-taking wasn't particularly efficient I don't think. I had to guess at some of the answers and then for many more, I was going off my gut or saying to myself, "I think that is the answer." but not being confident. Just hoping that my subconscious brain recalled the information correctly. Problem is that we don't know what "good" looks like. If it's 50% then I think I'll be OK but if it's nearer to 70% then I'd be nervous!

TRP I'm hoping I did well at - I got through the vast majority of questions (and she did say that no one finishes it although I'm sure some must do).

The report writing was grand enough albeit, I know I didn't explain a couple of bits brilliantly but overall, it should be fine. The last report was child's play really.

They did say first couple of weeks of Jan for results and then phase 2 would be in Jan as well. I'm hoping that if you've had your result back already then whilst I may not get mine before Christmas, it should be before new year.

I counted 15 in the room and 5 didn't turn up. One person turned up 10 mins late! Not good!

Well - just had the email to say that I've made it to phase 2 as well! Delighted to get the news before Christmas!

Lots to be planning for!

Ah I'm delighted for ya also getting through! It is a bit of a Christmas treat isn't it?! Sorry I'm only checking here now.

The TRFS is horrible isn't it? I think my problem was taking too many notes when I should have tried to pick out the more relevant bits but sure we've both gotten through it now! Never again I hope :)

And yessss, the last report, wtf, imagine someone not passing that haha..

Five no shows is a lot! I wonder now will the assessment groups be smaller as there were a lot more sessions - I'm guessing because we will be on computers? I'm in on the 12th of Jan so lots of study to be done on the VSE for me because I do not like that one at all, but I think my printer paper wasn't aligned properly when I printed it so I actually made it harder on myself because the dots were all over the gaff.

I'm intrigued by the Pre-Interview Form and how much will need to be written! My background is mostly in Media and Comms so will have to get my thinking cap on as to how to make it relevant!

Status
Not open for further replies.