• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Ideas for future model railways that you’ve had and would like to make.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gloster

Established Member
I take a long time to get to sleep (if I actually do: this morning the people extending the house two doors down started up their machinery just as I was heading for the land of nod) and often think through ‘what if’ ideas. A recent one has been what if the rationalisation of Salisbury-Exeter had not been so drastic. One possibility was retaining double-track from either Chard Junction to Axminster or Seaton Junction, or Axminster to Seaton Junction: Axminster requiring staff at the level-crossing (and retaining a small goods yard) and Seaton retaining the milk depot. An additional possibility would be transfer unloading of the VWs for Devonettes from Sidmouth to to Seaton. The train service would be similar to the early 1970s, but with an extra morning Exeter-Axminster and return DMU and the evening DMU would be a passenger back; the Yeovil papers might even be extended. There would be a couple of Woking or Salisbury to Riverside or Meldon ballasts, a Westbury-Exeter cement, a Riverside-Axminster trip goods and milk workings.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I take a long time to get to sleep (if I actually do: this morning the people extending the house two doors down started up their machinery just as I was heading for the land of nod) and often think through ‘what if’ ideas.
This is exactly what I do and it’s sometimes when I get the best ideas (which doesn’t always help with sleeping actually).

A recent one has been what if the rationalisation of Salisbury-Exeter had not been so drastic. One possibility was retaining double-track from either Chard Junction to Axminster or Seaton Junction, or Axminster to Seaton Junction:
That’s interesting that you’ve gone that way. My thoughts were along similar lines but double track from Honiton to Chard Junction still in place.
Also that the A35 has a dual carriageway section through the area to justify a new (1980s) station. I’d stick with the era I have the stock for so late 1980s.
Always wanted to do a disused station…

Axminster requiring staff at the level-crossing (and retaining a small goods yard) and Seaton retaining the milk depot. An additional possibility would be transfer unloading of the VWs for Devonettes from Sidmouth to to Seaton. The train service would be similar to the early 1970s, but with an extra morning Exeter-Axminster and return DMU and the evening DMU would be a passenger back; the Yeovil papers might even be extended. There would be a couple of Woking or Salisbury to Riverside or Meldon ballasts, a Westbury-Exeter cement, a Riverside-Axminster trip goods and milk workings.
That would make a superb railway.

GrimsbyPacer

Established Member
I have Double-O guage trains, but the motors always seemed to burn out after a week, or the track despite connecting well, lost power, so couldn't carry on. Wanted just two platforms for a yellow Merseyrail Pacer to run between.
In the end I discovered Trainz Rail Simulator, then later the 2004 and 2006 editions and found that they are more fun ans easier to do something at scale.
Still keep the models though.

SouthWestMax

I take a long time to get to sleep (if I actually do: this morning the people extending the house two doors down started up their machinery just as I was heading for the land of nod) and often think through ‘what if’ ideas.
This is exactly what I do as well! I quite enjoy doing this, though sometimes when a good idea pops into the head it doesn’t do going to sleep much good..!

What I’m aiming to create is the Lymington Branch, and a large loop around the room for the mainline, with model Brockenhurst perhaps with model Sway or New Milton modelled or even Bournemouth at one point along the loop. I’d love to do some of the extension down to Weymouth as well but I’d probably be running out of room at that point! Perhaps a garden extension for the summer, but that comes with weather challenges in the winter so keeping it roughly protected could be an interesting challenge. Definitely something to think about!

As for traction. I’ve got the two heritage 3CIGs 1497 and 1498 on order from Britannia Pacific Models and should be arriving within the next month or two. Used to ride them all the time back in the days and have wanted OO recreations of them since, finally stumbled across someone who will do it - result! Mainline, I’ve a Bachmann 450 currently - the weathered 450127, would like a second perhaps the clean one, these can also run on the branch for a change every now and then. I’d love a pair or 444s too for the mainline, SWT colours of course, those I’ll probably have to build myself but would be worth the effort I think!

This is all a couple of years into the future, I’m still living at home so am restricted to my loft layout (loosely based on the Lymington thing already!), but once I’ve a place on my own.. :D

GusB

Established Member
Associate Staff
Buses & Coaches
For me, it was always going to have to be quite a small affair. When I first started making plans for a layout in my teens I was always conscious of the fact that I wouldn't have heaps of space to build it in. I was quite inspired by some of the Highland layouts that were featured in the Railway Modeller at the time, one of them being "Kyle of Tongue" (Steve Flint, I think, was responsible for that one)

I was always concerned about the lack of variety of stock that I could run but, having seen various photographs over the years, it would seem that there were more types running in this part of the world than I'd originally realised. The Sulzer type-2s (24-27) were all running at various points during my childhood, although I only really (vaguely) remember the 27s. Class 40s certainly made appearances on various occasions, and I've seen photos of 50s at Perth so it's not a huge stretch of the imagination to think that in an alternate universe they might have made regular trips further north. 47s were standard fare for a time, as were 37s, although they came along much later in the period I'd like to model (70s to early 80s). Having said that, there's much more scope for throwing together a non-matching rake of Mk2s if I was to go for the late 80s to early 90s...

See I'd go Scottish Highlands but the sparse service on the rural lines puts me off really. The Highland Main Line is as far north as I would go as you have (for the 1980s) a generally more frequent service, sleepers, London day train(s) etc.

I sort of agree with this; I'd prefer to build a model railway where things run largely as they would have done in real life. I suppose it depends on what you want your layout to do; is it supposed to be an exact replica of a specific location, a fictional location with a realistic service pattern, or are you happy to use "modeller's licence"? I guess it also depends on where you want to operate it; if it's a home layout then you can do what the hell you like with it, but if you were to take it to an exhibition and run the wrong train (especially if it's modelled on a real location) you run the risk of upsetting the Rivet Counters!

Status
Not open for further replies.