• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

If you could travel back in time to any year in history... only once

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mag_seven

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
You will be able to experience all subsequent events in history but will also have to contribute to society from the point you travelled back to, so for example if you’re a child or teenager, you will have to attend school as it was back then.

When it comes to a job I'll just get one as a fortune teller or psychic.

NoMorePacers

Established Member
1993 to witness rail privatisation happening. Plus it helps that the stock I'm generally interested in (2nd gen DMUs, BR-era electrics of any kind) was more abundant in that era.

DynamicSpirit

Established Member
One thing I wouldn't do is attempt to go back and change anything or stop myself doing anything different.
Presumably if I was to do so and change history, I would be resetting the universe from the time I did it, say 30 or 40 years ago and therefore causing literally billions of people alive now to have never existed, including my own daughter. I've always wondered if people who wish to go back and change something that happened are aware that they are wishing to cause mass murder on a global scale.

But are you sure that hasn't already happened? Maybe the reason you and I are alive today is that someone went back and changed history and as a result the billions of people who should've been alive now never existed, and the World now has all us lot instead... :lol:

d9009alycidon

One UFO theory is that the "flying saucers" that have been sighted are not from another planet but from our own future, they are not allowed to interact in case of a paradox. Hence the reason why there was a spike in sightings in the 1950s and 1960s with lots of 31st century railway enthusiasts travelling back to see the last years of steam and the first few years of green diesels! Fewer sightings now, who would spend big money to return to see the current insipid offering!

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
One UFO theory is that the "flying saucers" that have been sighted are not from another planet but from our own future, they are not allowed to interact in case of a paradox. Hence the reason why there was a spike in sightings in the 1950s and 1960s with lots of 31st century railway enthusiasts travelling back to see the last years of steam and the first few years of green diesels! Fewer sightings now, who would spend big money to return to see the current insipid offering!

:lol: Love it!

Calthrop

Established Member
As a total blinkered railway-nerd, disregarding of real life / the real world: I've always been fascinated by the Listowel & Ballybunion monorail. Given the OP's offered opportunity: I'd choose to go back to summer 1919; and witness first-hand, and travel on, that marvellously crazy thing. Would opt for 1919 because World War I and its miseries, were over; and things in Ireland were then reasonably quiet and normal -- shortly thereafter, life there would for a few years, "what with one thing and another", become turbulent: in the latter stages of which stuff, the L & B would sustain severe damage -- it limped on until autumn 1924, and then closed. In '19, it would still have been in reasonably good shape.

Cambus731

In the Flipside of Dominic Hyde, UFO s turned out to be time travellers from the future

Status
Not open for further replies.