• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

If you could travel back in time...

Status
Not open for further replies.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Yes, I sometimes almost feel empathy for the poor doctor, that the Chairman of Austerity Britain was little more than a political puppet, who had to salvage the nation's crippled and cracked railway system, before it collapsed completely.

I guess we have the vastly over-optimistic and competitive early Victorian era railway promoters to thank, for starting the whole darn messy thing in the first place.

Maybe that's it! I would go back in time - accompanied by an accountant - and I would ask each and every one of those promoters: "No, really, tell me -how exactly WILL this great fancy railway-line of yours actually pay for itself?"

Ah, but as SuperMac would have pointed out, it was "you've never had it so good", rather than "Austerity" Britain :lol:

I suppose in Kent at least, the profligate railway companies (the South Eastern and London Chatham and Dover Railway companies) learnt the error of their ways quite early on and joined forces in 1899.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.