• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

IMechE Railway Challenge

Status
Not open for further replies.

Nym

Established Member
Well, it's that time of year again, I'll post a link first up so you can know what I'm on about.

http://www.imeche.org/railwaychallenge

The Institution of Mechanical Engineers (IMechE), is holding the 4th year of the "Railway Challenge" this weekend at the Stapleford Miniature Railway.

This will see up to 10 teams of graduates, apprentices and students, having designed, assured and built a 10 1/4" gauge locomotive with umbilical control and regenerative braking having their designs and production put to the test.

The three previous years have seen three different winning teams, each with different regenerative braking technology. Interfleet with an electrical regenerative braking system; the University of Huddersfeild the next year with mechanical spring regenerative braking and last year, Transport for London - London Underground with Hydro-Pneumatic Regenerative braking (and hybrid drive).

So without making this sound too much like a marketing post, I'm wondering if anyone else is thinking of attending this weekend?

PS: It's likely that steam special spectator trains will be running.

Status
Not open for further replies.