• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Impact on Universities

Status
Not open for further replies.

route101

Established Member
I was on-campus at my University yesterday and yes it was like a ghost town. The vast, vast majority of lectures/tutorials/etc are all being done online.

Guy I know at Uni, has one in person lecture a month. If you want to use the library its pre book only, they assign you a computer.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Guy I know at Uni, has one in person lecture a month. If you want to use the library its pre book only, they assign you a computer.

I am 100% online. The live lectures are pretty good really, not much different from in-person. I have one module which is all pre recorded which I am really struggling to be engaged with. As for getting in the library, I’ve not managed to successfully book a slot yet. They are always fully booked no matter if I check as soon as slots are released or at other times.

_toommm_

Established Member
I am 100% online. The live lectures are pretty good really, not much different from in-person. I have one module which is all pre recorded which I am really struggling to be engaged with. As for getting in the library, I’ve not managed to successfully book a slot yet. They are always fully booked no matter if I check as soon as slots are released or at other times.

5 hours a week in uni for me - bearing in mind my course is very practical based (Drama), that's not that much.

RomeoCharlie71

Established Member
All of my lectures and tutorials are live and online. I have a meeting with my advisor of studies once a week, that's it.

Library is pre-book slots only but honestly nobody is checking and it's relatively easy to book a slot - I think there's about 600 (physically distanced) slots across all 3 floors.

Peter0124

Established Member
All of mine are online and the benefits are that it can be done from anywhere really, and at anytime. Downsides are there is no face-to-face learning and not really much of a social aspect or not many chances to properly meet new students.

Its a Computer Science / Software Engineering course I am doing at the moment, and I am finding atleast one of my modules really difficult and time-consuming to the point where I am 2 or 3 weeks behind with the work.

Though a bonus is that its possible to watch the pre-recorded lecture videos onboard trains meaning I get some enjoyment out of them whenever it can feel boring at home. And also live lectures in that the lecturer just talks and doesn't share their screen, can be done while going out for a walk and listening in which I quite like.

FYI I go to the University of Strathclyde and have just started Year 1 so any Strathclyders on here hit me up!

Last edited:
Its a Computer Science / Software Engineering course I am doing at the moment, and I am finding atleast one of my modules really difficult and time-consuming to the point where I am 2 or 3 weeks behind with the work.
FYI I go to the University of Strathclyde and have just started Year 1 so any Strathclyders on here hit me up!
Which module? I'm third year computer science in the central belt.
I'm 100% online too. I'm really struggling with one of my modules (which incidentally is prerecorded too) but I'm not sure if that's related to doing it online, or just being a difficult module. I'm more struggling with all the societies being online too; at the moment 100% of what I'm doing is sitting in my room, by myself, on the computer :| There's just no opportunity to do anything at all with anyone else unless it's online.
I haven't tried booking a library slot but I'd rather leave them for those who can't study from home.

Peter0124

Established Member

I'm 100% online too. I'm really struggling with one of my modules (which incidentally is prerecorded too) but I'm not sure if that's related to doing it online, or just being a difficult module. I'm more struggling with all the societies being online too; at the moment 100% of what I'm doing is sitting in my room, by myself, on the computer :| There's just no opportunity to do anything at all with anyone else unless it's online.
I haven't tried booking a library slot but I'd rather leave them for those who can't study from home.
It's the Computer Systems and Organisation Module, the Digital Logic stuff, it's very difficult and there is far too much work on it per week imo. Whereas I am finding my other modules fine and easier to keep up with. Its also mainly pre-recorded videos though the lecturer is very friendly and offers zoom sessions if we're stuck.

Last edited:

Speaking to other people on my course, and friends who have prerecorded lectures - they really do seem detrimental to engagement and performance. My pre-recorded module is exceptionally technical and challenging, the videos are often 2+hours long and it is so challenging to follow along sat by yourself at home. The lecturer has been good with making himself available for office hours online and providing support.

Scotrail12

Went to the uni library today, so far an utter disaster.

They've closed the private study rooms from 12pm - 2pm for deep cleaning. Does it actually take 2 hours and even if it does, why not stagger them by floor? That means I have to sit in the main area where they've strictly enforced face coverings. That's posing a major problem for me as I am a bit hard of hearing and can't do a tutorial wearing these masks.

It's almost like they're trying to deter people from using the library.

Peter0124

Established Member
Went to the uni library today, so far an utter disaster.

They've closed the private study rooms from 12pm - 2pm for deep cleaning. Does it actually take 2 hours and even if it does, why not stagger them by floor? That means I have to sit in the main area where they've strictly enforced face coverings. That's posing a major problem for me as I am a bit hard of hearing and can't do a tutorial wearing these masks.

It's almost like they're trying to deter people from using the library.
That sounds terrible, I've yet to use the library but having to wear a mask whilst studying especially for long hours just wouldn't be good. Do you need to wear a mask aswell in those private study areas?

Scotrail12

That sounds terrible, I've yet to use the library but having to wear a mask whilst studying especially for long hours just wouldn't be good. Do you need to wear a mask aswell in those private study areas?

They say at all times (and there are signs everywhere to that effect) but theoretically, if you're alone in those rooms, you shouldn't need to.

EDIT: Just got told off by a member of staff for not wearing one in the library. Tried to explain that I can't hear/speak clearly with them, still got told to wear one. Last time using this place until that rule is dropped.

Last edited:

trebor79

Established Member
They say at all times (and there are signs everywhere to that effect) but theoretically, if you're alone in those rooms, you shouldn't need to.

EDIT: Just got told off by a member of staff for not wearing one in the library. Tried to explain that I can't hear/speak clearly with them, still got told to wear one. Last time using this place until that rule is dropped.
Perhaps an email to the appropriate person at the university is in order? There must be someone with responsibility for things like complying with the DDA, that's where I'd start. If you're exempt then informing the staff of that fact should be the end of the matter.

hst43102

I'm a student at Newcastle University. They advertise everywhere that the uni is still open and you can use the library, so I decided to try it out for one of my lectures (all of my lectures are online at the moment). I couldn't stand wearing a mask for 2 hours, so, after being seated at a socially distanced desk, with nobody else within TEN metres of me, let alone two, I took my mask off. I got told off quite quickly, so I packed up and went back to my accommodation. I can completely understand the logic for wearing masks around other people, but when you're all alone and nobody else is about? Not so sure it's necessary...

BJames

Established Member
As above at my uni you're supposed to wear masks at all times in the library, even when you're at a little booth and can't possibly be near anyone.

I have however found that a building on campus nearby is a lot more lenient - as long as you wear your mask while moving around they don't tell you to put it back on when you're sitting down. Possibly because telling every single person inside to do that would be a complete waste of time. It seems to be some form of unwritten agreement amongst us students that those who don't want to wear a mask are studying here (I certainly am) and those who do are using the libraries. I absolutely will not choose to go to a library where I have to wear my mask when working - I dislike working from home but I prefer working from home maskless than working at campus in a mask all day.

---NEW POST----

Also. I don't know if this has been mentioned elsewhere (sorry if this has) but has anyone seen this?
Students at the University of Manchester have pulled down fences that were erected around their halls of residence as part of a wider protest attended by hundreds of students against the university’s response to coronavirus.

Students living on the university’s Fallowfield campus said fences had been erected early on Thursday morning without warning from the university, and they were only able to leave through a single exit guarded by security. As well as fencing off most entrance points, the university disabled swipe cards that grant entry to buildings other than their accommodation.

The university initially said the measures were to prevent access by non-residents, and students could continue to access and leave their own accommodation subject to ID checks. However, on Thursday night the university apologised for the fences and announced they would be removed on Friday morning.
Poor judgement from the University there thinking that in any world this could be considered a good idea and quite surprising that they didn't genuinely forsee this protest happening...

Last edited:

duncanp

Established Member
Also. I don't know if this has been mentioned elsewhere (sorry if this has) but has anyone seen this?

Poor judgement from the University there thinking that in any world this could be considered a good idea and quite surprising that they didn't genuinely forsee this protest happening...

Well done to those students for taking this action.

There really is no need to imprison students like this, and it must have an adverse effect on their mental health to feel cooped up like that.

And as for disabling swipe cards that grant students access to buildings other than their accommodation, if the students are being denied access to these facilities, I take it that the university will be refunding a portion of their tuition fees.

Oh wait....

trebor79

Established Member
And as for disabling swipe cards that grant students access to buildings other than their accommodation, if the students are being denied access to these facilities, I take it that the university will be refunding a portion of their tuition fees.
Ha! The number of times I trudged to the library on Nottingham's Jubilee campus only to find my access card didn't work, or the same thing at the main computer room on the main campus. It was a very flaky system. The only option was to hang around until someone came out, and every so often that person would refuse to let locked out people in...

Scotrail12

I'm becoming quite frustrated at this point because there is literally nowhere to get my uni work done. Basically every coffee shop is full and on takeaway only, the library has mandated masks (plus has closed the private study rooms for half of the day) and I don't do WFH.

If schools can go in, why can't we? I understand that there are greater problems but I need somewhere to work.

hst43102

I'm becoming quite frustrated at this point because there is literally nowhere to get my uni work done. Basically every coffee shop is full and on takeaway only, the library has mandated masks (plus has closed the private study rooms for half of the day) and I don't do WFH.

If schools can go in, why can't we? I understand that there are greater problems but I need somewhere to work.

I totally agree with you. Being stuck working in my room for 12+ hours a day is having a real effect on my mental health.

DB

Is the university reducing your fees at all? They really should be doing so given that they are not providing the level of facilities which you can reasonably expect.

Scotrail12

Is the university reducing your fees at all? They really should be doing so given that they are not providing the level of facilities which you can reasonably expect.

Since I'm in Scotland, fees are paid through tax so I can't complain as much as I would if I was in England. That said, this isn't what I signed up for and they've put as many tricks in the book to deter people from using the library which totally irritates me.

I totally agree with you. Being stuck working in my room for 12+ hours a day is having a real effect on my mental health.

Sorry - I know it really sucks. It feels like they don't care much about student mental health.

route101

Established Member

I used to do most of my work in the Uni Library, used to pull some long hours in them, exceeded full time job hours. I couldn't imagine doing all my work at home.

hst43102

Unfortunately not. Students in England are getting an Open University course for in-person university prices!

Adam Williams

Established Member
Unfortunately not. Students in England are getting an Open University course for in-person university prices!
Sadly the days of the OU being considerably cheaper in terms of tuition are long gone.. It's what, maybe £3k a year cheaper for a F/T course if that, with the expectation of much more independent work.

hst43102

Sadly the days of the OU being considerably cheaper in terms of tuition are long gone.. It's what, maybe £3k a year cheaper for a F/T course if that, with the expectation of much more independent work.

I think it's 6k instead of 9.7k. At the moment, "proper" university courses are no better!

DelayRepay

Established Member
I think it's 6k instead of 9.7k. At the moment, "proper" university courses are no better!

I'd say "proper" uni courses are worse - as well as nearly £10k in fees, students are also paying rent for a tiny room, which they don't really need but are not allowed to leave.

Are any of the students on this thread studying in Manchester? What on earth is going on there?

Prof Dame Nancy Rothwell, the university's president and vice-chancellor, said: "Firstly, I want to apologise again for the distress caused by putting up the fence yesterday and the very poor communication surrounding this.

Surely if you say you are exempt they can’t disadvantage you by not allowing you to study in the library? In our library we have to wear when moving around, fine to take off when studying... that’s if you can ever successfully book a slot

BJames

Established Member
Ha! The number of times I trudged to the library on Nottingham's Jubilee campus only to find my access card didn't work, or the same thing at the main computer room on the main campus. It was a very flaky system. The only option was to hang around until someone came out, and every so often that person would refuse to let locked out people in...
This is still a problem now. They've disabled our access cards to the Teaching and Learning building on campus and closed it at the weekends, forcing everyone into Hallward library instead. Social distancing... (?) I have put in a request to have it reopened - it really is no skin off their backs, it's next door to the library and the hundreds of staff hanging round there can go to t&l if they really need to.
If they don't reopen the buildings on campus that are unnecessarily closed I think they might find themselves having to explain on a very serious level why they're not partially refunding fees, as students really will start putting in compensation claims and they'll have no reason to justify not honouring them. Coronavirus may not be in their control but allowing us access to facilities we pay for is...

PTR 444

Established Member
This raises a few questions:

Covid tests for students in England, so they can go home safely for Christmas, could begin on 30 November, according to a letter from the universities minister to vice chancellors.

A week of mass testing is proposed that overlaps with the end of the lockdown - between 30 November and 6 December.
The letter, seen by the BBC, promises a fast turnaround for tests and "results within an hour".
The aim is to stop students spreading the virus as they return home.
The first week of December could then become the "window" for many students to leave university for the Christmas holidays, with face-to-face teaching expected to finish earlier than usual this term.
But those who test positive will have to take another test and, if found to be infectious, have to stay in isolation.
Does this mean that if students want to go home for Christmas, they HAVE to do so by December 6th? This assumes all universities are ending their teaching early and I have heard no word from mine yet about. Regardless of whether it would or not, I was planning to stay on until the 19th to make the most of the uni’s facilities, so if I do stay on until then, does that mean I cannot go home for Christmas???

Unless fine details are to be released, this strikes me as ludicrous. If students do have to get tested before they can travel home, it would be much better if they could just request one anytime during December, then that way students don’t have to be tied to making a decision by the 6th.

Last edited:

ABB125

Established Member
This raises a few questions:

Does this mean that if students want to go home for Christmas, they HAVE to do so by December 6th? This assumes all universities are ending their teaching early and I have heard no word from mine yet about. Regardless of whether it would or not, I was planning to stay on until the 19th to make the most of the uni’s facilities, so if I do stay on until then, does that mean I cannot go home for Christmas???

Unless fine details are to be released, this strikes me as ludicrous. If students do have to get tested before they can travel home, it would be much better if they could just request one anytime during December, then that way students don’t have to be tied to making a decision by the 6th.
If there's no requirement for "normal" people to get a test before travelling to another part of the country before Christmas, I won't be getting one as a student. And I won't be going by the 6th either. I haven't actually really got any plans for Christmas this year, other than I'll be going home sometime around the 19th and get a few rail day trips done!

Status
Not open for further replies.