• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Inappropriate behaviour & threats by the police citing Covid 19 regulations

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mojo

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
West Mercia Police claim that people have to have certificates of face covering exemption:

I do not expect West Mercia Police will conduct a disciplinary investigation against Mr Davis, because I have lost faith in police forces to do anything about rogue police officers; in fact listening to the full transcript the whole chain of command in this case is rotten, right up to the Chief Inspector.

I don't understand how the police can get away with behaving like this; I wouldn't be able to in my job! Why is the bar for police officers set so low?
You can even hear the announcements in the background advising that some people may be not wearing a mask and may be exempt!

As an aside, Sainsbury's must be one of the best supermarkets for this with regular announcements in store.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Trackman

Established Member
West Mercia Police claim that people have to have certificates of face covering exemption:

I do not expect West Mercia Police will conduct a disciplinary investigation against Mr Davis, because I have lost faith in police forces to do anything about rogue police officers; in fact listening to the full transcript the whole chain of command in this case is rotten, right up to the Chief Inspector.

I don't understand how the police can get away with behaving like this; I wouldn't be able to in my job! Why is the bar for police officers set so low?
I follow Crimebodge on you-tube, none of this surprises me.

bramling

Veteran Member
I think that hits the nail on the head.

How she wasn't forced into a desk job or early retirement after the de Menezes shooting is laughable and anyone's guess.

Anyone with a sense of shame would have quietly tucked themselves away. That was essentially a public execution, the whole thing was utterly bungled from start to finish and she was in charge of the “operation”. Not only that, there were certainly signs of a potential cover-up being started afterwards.

Much as I have *some* sympathy for the fact she was carrying out a very challenging role on the day, most people who screw up to that extent and in such a high-profile and sensitive way don’t find themselves being promoted to the highest office in their respective organisation.

notlob.divad

Established Member
This culture of challenging and calling out things which we don’t like is very concerning, as regardless of the rights or wrongs of masks it makes for a very unpleasant society when people feel they can confront someone doing something which they’d prefer them not to be doing. This isn’t to anyone’s benefit.
I take it therefore that you are against the challenging of people for feet on seats / bags on seats / smelly food choices / loud music being played / children running up and down / large cases blocking the aisle etc etc, or any of the other 'antisocial' behaviours that are brought up on these forums...

LSWR Cavalier

Established Member
One can not be sure that anonymous reporting really is anonymous
Just wish it were possible for traffic offences, but the cops could see those easily if they wanted to

Apparently there was a plan to separate traffic law enforcement from other duties some years ago. Had that been done, enforcement might still be carried out

C J Snarzell

Established Member
I'm ex-police and I have to declare that I've been a little disgusted and ashamed of some of the antics of police officers during this Covid epidemic. A couple of the videos I have watched have been really uncomfortable viewing, particular the one with the chap walking his dog in the park.

What sickens me is that the police have gone for easy targets in some of these videos - people usually on their own who don't pose a significant threat. To emphasise my point - a few months ago, there was a large gathering of people from the travelling community just a few miles from where I live and it was widely publicised in the press that the cops didn't intervene or disperse the people involved. I can understand the potential implications of why the cops might not have broke up the group, but it doesn't sit right for those unfortunate people who have been 'challenged' by the police when they are out on their own for some minor misdemeanour.

From my own view point, many frontline cops who have joined the service in the last few years seem to lack basic common sense, people skills and discretion and this seems evident in some of the videos shared in the media. This is perhaps down to poor police training which was completely restructed following the closure of national policing training centres in the late 2000s.

CJ

DB

I'm ex-police and I have to declare that I've been a little disgusted and ashamed of some of the antics of police officers during this Covid epidemic. A couple of the videos I have watched have been really uncomfortable viewing, particular the one with the chap walking his dog in the park.

What sickens me is that the police have gone for easy targets in some of these videos - people usually on their own who don't pose a significant threat. To emphasise my point - a few months ago, there was a large gathering of people from the travelling community just a few miles from where I live and it was widely publicised in the press that the cops didn't intervene or disperse the people involved. I can understand the potential implications of why the cops might not have broke up the group, but it doesn't sit right for those unfortunate people who have been 'challenged' by the police when they are out on their own for some minor misdemeanour.

From my own view point, many frontline cops who have joined the service in the last few years seem to lack basic common sense, people skills and discretion and this seems evident in some of the videos shared in the media. This is perhaps down to poor police training which was completely restructed following the closure of national policing training centres in the late 2000s.

CJ

I think it's also important to note that it's not even a matter of using discretion about what to pursue in the case of some of these videos - the police are targeting people who have done nothing wrong, and then making false claims about requirements for 'proof' of mask exemption. Given that there is very clear guidance on this on the official government website (.gov.uk) there is absolutely no excuse.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
I follow Crimebodge on you-tube, none of this surprises me.
When a single man with a YouTube channel does a better job of holding the police to account than the combined forces of the many bodies who's job it is to do so, there's something wrong with the system.
Anyone with a sense of shame would have quietly tucked themselves away. That was essentially a public execution, the whole thing was utterly bungled from start to finish and she was in charge of the “operation”. Not only that, there were certainly signs of a potential cover-up being started afterwards.
The next question is why Sadiq fired Danny Cotton and not Cressida DICK. The former fumbled the response to Grenfell, the latter oversaw the de Menezes shooting and the transformation of London (the capital city of the Commonwealth, might I add) into an international crime ridden laughing stock. I guess it was just politically convenient to sack Cotton.

duncanp

Established Member
When a single man with a YouTube channel does a better job of holding the police to account than the combined forces of the many bodies who's job it is to do so, there's something wrong with the system.

The next question is why Sadiq fired Danny Cotton and not Cressida DICK. The former fumbled the response to Grenfell, the latter oversaw the de Menezes shooting and the transformation of London (the capital city of the Commonwealth, might I add) into an international crime ridden laughing stock. I guess it was just politically convenient to sack Cotton.

As I said earlier in this thread Cressida Dickh*** ticks several "diversity and inclusion" boxes (to be polite), which is obviously a much more important criteria when choosing a Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police than experience of fighting crime.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
As I said earlier in this thread Cressida Dickh*** ticks several "diversity and inclusion" boxes (to be polite), which is obviously a much more important criteria when choosing a Commissioner of the Metropolitan Police than experience of fighting crime.

Cressida Dick should never have been promoted after the bungled police operation which lead to the shooting of the Brazilian chap in 2005.

Ian 'Joe 90' Hopkins beats Ma'am Dick as the most incompetent & corrupt policing chief at present.

CJ

PeterC

Established Member
As thanks for all that I potentially get shamed for refusing to strap a mouldy bacteria-laden piece of cloth over my face in a shop, which is not proven to have any benefit whatsoever apart from "reassure" a minority of people. If people don’t like it, keep a few feet away, it’s not difficult.
Perhaps you should use a washing machine and strap a clean piece of cloth over your face?

DB

Perhaps you should use a washing machine and strap a clean piece of cloth over your face?

I think he was making the point that this isn't the reality for a lot of people - look at the number who fish a battered, grubby disposable mask out of their pocket at the doorways of shops

geoffk

Established Member
"Lancashire residents in Tier 3 have been warned by police against travelling into neighbouring North Yorkshire. Officers are carrying out on-the-spot checks and anyone caught crossing the border into the Tier 2 county for a non-essential journey could face "enforcement action". Safety camera fleets, which are equipped with ANPR, are touring various routes into the region and police will also be out patrolling and guarding the border areas." Quoted from Lancs Live, 3rd December.

Travel between tiers isn't against the law; it's guidance only. Statutory Instrument 1374 does not specifically mention travel. It covers gatherings and businesses which are allowed to open.

C J Snarzell

Established Member
"Lancashire residents in Tier 3 have been warned by police against travelling into neighbouring North Yorkshire. Officers are carrying out on-the-spot checks and anyone caught crossing the border into the Tier 2 county for a non-essential journey could face "enforcement action". Safety camera fleets, which are equipped with ANPR, are touring various routes into the region and police will also be out patrolling and guarding the border areas." Quoted from Lancs Live, 3rd December.

Travel between tiers isn't against the law; it's guidance only. Statutory Instrument 1374 does not specifically mention travel. It covers gatherings and businesses which are allowed to open.

I believe Cheshire Police have been doing something similar to deter the Manc's from decending on places like Wilmslow & Knutsford which both have some very fine eateries and pubs.

CJ

nedchester

Established Member
I believe Cheshire Police have been doing something similar to deter the Manc's from decending on places like Wilmslow & Knutsford which both have some very fine eateries and pubs.

CJ
But completely unenforceable. The term 'enforcement action' - enforcement of what?

Or just go on the train........

DB

But completely unenforceable. The term 'enforcement action' - enforcement of what?

Quite - it really is a slipperly slope when the police start implying that something is an offence when it isn't. And this seems to have been fairly widespread recently in terms of crossing tier boundaries.

LOL The Irony

On Moderation
Thanks for your white knighting guys, but I really think you should be checking if another weed farm has been set up directly opposite your HQ before partaking in this.

Status
Not open for further replies.