• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Incident at Newark Northgate? (22 January)

Status
Not open for further replies.

GB

Established Member
..anyone know any more about it? Trains currently running upto 90 minutes late through the area.

Edit: Appears someone hit by a train.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Zoidberg

Established Member
..anyone know any more about it? Trains currently running upto 90 minutes late through the area.

Edit: Appears someone hit by a train.

Sadly, it seems that a person was hit by a train. I thought that I'd read that it was a rail employee, but I cannot find that statement at the moment.

From a different source at http://www.lincolnshireecho.co.uk/M...rain-station/story-20478968-detail/story.html

A Network Rail worker has been hit by a train at Newark Northgate train station.

He was struck by East Coast Trains' 10.08am service from London King's Cross to Newark at 11.39am on Wednesday January 22.

UPDATE: 1:30pm- A Network Rail spokesman said: "A member of our on-track team has been struck by a train at Newark Northgate and flown to hospital. Our thoughts are with our staff member and their colleagues and family.

I echo the Network Rail spokesman's sentiments to affected parties.

Last edited:

wilsontown

Yes, sounds like a bit of a mess. My boss is on 1D11 (1105 KGX to LDS) and he's just arrived at Donny, just the 147 late having been diverted via Lincoln...

sonic2009

Established Member
Airlifted to hospital I heard.

Thoughts are with the workers family.

High Dyke

Established Member
Advised the injured person was acting as lookout for a maintenance team. RAIB investigating.

As reported on the news - airlifted to hospital with serious head, chest and pelvic injuries. No further update on the condition of the injured person.

Established Member
Incidents involving track workers (specifically look outs) being injured or worse seem to becoming more prevalent, especially after what happened at Saxilby last year.

Legzr1

Sad news and hoping for a full recovery (not many get hit by a train and live to tell the tale...).

Interesting discussion on Facebook (not directly related to this particular incident) talking about more and more on-track workers failing to acknowledge drivers warning horns on first, second and sometimes third occasion - I've noticed it myself recently and wondering if standards have slackened recently?

There's a simple solution - stop the train (with emergency brake if necessary) and let whichever company pick up the TDA (quite easily running into £thousands...)

Zoidberg

Established Member

Interesting discussion on Facebook (not directly related to this particular incident) talking about more and more on-track workers failing to acknowledge drivers warning horns on first, second and sometimes third occasion - I've noticed it myself recently and wondering if standards have slackened recently?

I doubt that standards have changed for the worse - I suspect, rather, that extant standards are not being complied with if the assertion is to be believed.

Last edited:

WelshBluebird

Established Member
Also we are much more likely to here about this kind of stuff these days thanks to modern technology.

t o m

Sad news and hoping for a full recovery (not many get hit by a train and live to tell the tale...).

There's a simple solution - stop the train (with emergency brake if necessary) and let whichever company pick up the TDA (quite easily running into £thousands...)

On the flip side of that there are drivers that don't sound their horns on approach.

dk1

Veteran Member
On the flip side of that there are drivers that don't sound their horns on approach.

That would not be through not bothering. More likely that the track workers where not visible to the driver. I've never known any that do not alert those on or near the line intentionally.

Nestor

I doubt that standards have changed for the worse - I suspect, rather, that extant standards are not being complied with if the assertion is to be believed.

So standards could have dropped!!!!

Legzr1

That would not be through not bothering. More likely that the track workers where not visible to the driver. I've never known any that do not alert those on or near the line intentionally.

Exactly.

Its difficult to spot someone who chooses to hide behind a line side cabinet only to appear seconds before you reach them.

'On the flip side'....I find it impossible not to hear the two-tone so there has to be another reason.

Note,
I feel I must reiterate that this little o/t conversation has nothing to do with the original post so don't go reading anything in to it.

dk1

Veteran Member
Exactly.

Its difficult to spot someone who chooses to hide behind a line side cabinet only to appear seconds before you reach them.

'On the flip side'....I find it impossible not to hear the two-tone so there has to be another reason.

That is why I ALWAYS use both tones even at crossings regardless of some ridiculous & unneeded change in the rule book.

455driver

Veteran Member
I wonder how many of the non wavers are agency staff?

I can tell which group are out doing inspections simply by how many acknowledge my warning, one group wont acknowledge at all, yes reports have been submitted even though I hate paperwork.

Good idea, I might do that next time! ;)

IanXC

Emeritus Moderator
From conversations I've had with senior bods on both sides of this its a bit of a spiral. Some track workers don't acknowledge (perhaps because some drivers don't sound, bit of a chicken and egg problem!) some drivers don't sound, more track workers don't acknowledge and so on until we get to the point we're at now.

There were rumours of a safety briefing video on this topic - don't know if that's happened yet? (Is it called Red Alert or something?)

455driver

Veteran Member
Its easy, if the track workers are visible the driver will sound, all we ask is the track workers acknowledge.

If they are hiding the other side of a bridge or round a corner we wont have time to sound up without deafening them!

On a 4 or more track section I wont sound up if they are 2 or more tracks away as it is a waste of everyones time.

Suemac

Hi everyone

I was on the 11.08 train from Kings Cross and admit to being really annoyed when my train was stopped just outside Peterborough, as my brother was due to meet me at Newark at around 12.30. We then heard about the trackside worker, so understood why there was a delay. At Peterborough our driver told us we could catch a train to Lincoln from another platform and my brother had already said he could meet me at Lincoln instead so I rushed for the train.

I was annoyed when I was charged 9.95 for a new ticket to Lincoln - more than my original ticket from London to Newark! - as it wasn't my fault that I had to change my journey.

Does anyone have an update on the worker? I asked at Newark station on my return journey and was told that he was still in a serious condition though stable and that lots of people had sent good wishes to the family, so I asked to be added.

Crossforth

Established Member
We were briefed at work the day after and it sounds like the team acknowledge the driver and moved out the way but for whatever reason (I will not speculate) the lookout still seemed to get hit. As a fellow railway worker, my thoughts go out to him and his family.

With regards to workers not acknowledging drivers; some do it religiously and some think that if someone else in the team has acknowledged then they don't have to. Personally, I will always wave if I can see the train. If I hear a tone and cannot see the train, I will not acknowledge.

However I have known drivers who do not tone at us workers and (in our area) it seems to be that XC drivers are the worst for not toning. I hasten to add that it is not all XC drivers and drivers of other companies do it as well.

For now though, I will the worker all the best and my thoughts and prayers are with you.

Suemac

Please pass on my condolences to the family of the track worker and to his colleagues at Newark. How awful for them. It makes me ashamed to think I was complaining about having to pay another ten quid to change onto the train to Lincoln from Peterborough. This puts things into perspective. RIP

Tomnick

Established Member
Sad news indeed - my thoughts with his family and colleagues :( .

Status
Not open for further replies.