• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Inside the factory BBC2 - Series 7

Status
Not open for further replies.

Established Member
This weeks Radio Times shows a new series of 'Inside the factory' on BBC2 9pm from Monday. The first episode sees Gregg Wallace at Alstom/Bombardier in Derby by the looks of things following the production of the class 720's.

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

anamyd

On Moderation
I've never heard of Grey Wallace, but I'm looking forward to watching this on the 1/8/22.

On Moderation
I wonder if anyone will be brave enough to ask why they release new trains from the factory that are riddled with faults?

Snow1964

Established Member
I wonder how selective tonight’s programme will be.

Would love to see a scene where someone turns it on first time, and computer says no faults, ready for service. Somehow don’t think they will have filmed this

Mikey C

Established Member
Quite a bit different from the normal places they visit, will Gregg be able to control his (over) excitement :E

It will be interesting if the Class 701 elephant in the room comes up at all, or whether the factory is painted as producing world leading products...

Hophead

Established Member
Given the trouble they've been having, it wouldn't be much of a surprise to find that they just let him loose for while with a spanner.

dgl

Established Member
Greg why don't you have a go at building one, you couldn't do any worse!

Also, "what's that building over there, it looks even bigger that the factory"
"that's our warranty repair department!"

Mikey C

Established Member
Very interesting. Was looking out to see all the parked 701s!

anamyd

On Moderation
I thought this was amazing! When I had seen inside Derby Litchurch Lane before on a Crossrail programme when Bombardier was making the 345s, I had already seen them put the body panels/doors and cabs etc on the underframes, but in this programme, during Alstom's build of the GA 720s, they were like "it's made from aluminium, but how is aluminium made and where does that come from?" and they literally show the smelting :lol:
I learned things like how they roughen the body panels so the paint sticks to them, and how even the cabs are made in the UK, in a place down the road (which I didn't realise!) from GRP (glass-reinforced plastic). The bit with the horns was funny :p

Snow1964

Established Member
Very interesting. Was looking out to see all the parked 701s!

There were couple clearly visible in the drone shots towards the end when they were showing train on test track. But not rows and rows of them.

In the section on cabs, there were some orange ones in background of fitting out shop, presumably class 730 cabs

Everything was Alstom, except the scene where bogies were being fitted and bogie clearly had Bombardier name on it.

Last edited:

Mikey C

Established Member
Next Monday's Inside the Factory (BBC2) visits ADL/Plaxton to see (I assume) how the E400EV is made

geoffk

Established Member
I thought it was an interesting programme although Gregg got a bit over-excited with his big train set. He even drove a train and managed not to hit the buffers.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I suppose what we didn’t hear: “If any part isn’t quite right we can easily swap it out for the same part off another production line nearby”.

anamyd

On Moderation
Next Monday's Inside the Factory (BBC2) visits ADL/Plaxton to see (I assume) how the E400EV is made
I wasn't expecting that, but it makes sense, staying on the public transport equipment theme :p

ExRes

Established Member
Finally got round to watching on catch up this evening, found it to be an interesting watch even allowing for the juvenile CBeebies presentation from Wallace

Davester50

Finally got round to watching on catch up this evening, found it to be an interesting watch even allowing for the juvenile CBeebies presentation from Wallace
I can't watch any of his programmes, despite the subject matter being of interest.

Status
Not open for further replies.