• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Interesting/amusing sights on Street View

Status
Not open for further replies.

py_megapixel

Established Member
I quite enjoy looking round places on Street View when I'm bored and every now and again you find something slightly odd to point out. So here's a thread to collect them.

For a start, looking here: https://goo.gl/maps/Ac7AkmpLWvDD49G18 on the Oxford Road in Manchester, there is a bus where Google's algorithm has failed resulting in the logo accompanied by the text "Stagecoaecoaach"!

Places do get re-scanned occasionally so it would be helpful if you could post the date of image capture for whatever it is you are pointing out. You can find this at the bottom right of your screen - it should say something like "Image capture: Apr 2021" (which is of the date of the capture of that bit of Oxford Road).
For anyone unsure how to post a link to Street View, you can simply click this button: 1625580513924.png in the box in the top left, choose "share or embed image", and this should get you a permanent link to that precise location and angle that you can then paste here after clicking the "COPY LINK" button. (Before doing this, please try to arrange your position so that you are looking directly at whatever you are referring to, if possible).

Last edited:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

pdeaves

Established Member
For a start, looking here: https://goo.gl/maps/Ac7AkmpLWvDD49G18 on the Oxford Road in Manchester, there is a bus where Google's algorithm has failed resulting in the logo accompanied by the text "Stagecoaecoaach"!
Oooh, new name to go with the new livery!

Not quite 'Street view' (it's aerial view) but I recently found this strange HST/Voyager hybrid at Cheltenham: https://goo.gl/maps/yGaYPFnYcd9HiU3o9 (2021 view, apparently, but that must be site copyright not image capture).

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
There's this prize example in Felixstowe...

( Image shows a completely mangled image of a person admiring the view on the beach at Felixstowe; her body is only as tall as a head and most of her front is invisible. )

1625584598578.png

ABB125

Established Member
I know it's not streetview, but this is my personal favourite, at Horseshoe Curve on the line to Fort William:

There's this prize example in Felixstowe...

( Image shows a completely mangled image of a person admiring the view on the beach at Felixstowe; her body is only as tall as a head and most of her front is invisible. )

View attachment 99351
Oooooh, is that Windows Vista I see? :D

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I know it's not streetview, but this is my personal favourite, at Horseshoe Curve on the line to Fort William:

Oooooh, is that Windows Vista I see? :D
No, it's Windows 7 Enterprise - but with classic view selected.

py_megapixel

Established Member
Takle a screenshot with the snipping tool and you can paste that direct into the thread.
There's also a keyboard shortcut to copy a screenshot to the clipboard. On my system at the moment it's Shift+PrintScreen - I have no idea what it is on Windows but I know it exists, I've used it!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
There's also a keyboard shortcut to copy a screenshot to the clipboard. On my system at the moment it's Shift+PrintScreen - I have no idea what it is on Windows but I know it exists, I've used it!
It's "print screen" then "control-V" to paste.

The snipping tool, however, has the advantage that you don't have to post the whole screen, just the bit you want.

py_megapixel

Established Member
you don't have to post the whole screen, just the bit you want.
I thought that's what the shortcut did.

On my system (the Cinnamon desktop on Arch Linux), Shift+Print Screen turns my cursor into a cross which I can drag around the screen to select a square. After doing this pressing Ctrl+V pastes. I'm sure there is some equivalent to this on Windows.
Edit: Just googled it, it's the Windows key + Shift + S. Not a thing on Win7 though, so if you don't regularly use 10 you may not have come across it.

davews

As an aside, how many of you have found yourselves on Street View? I have twice (though these no longer are there due to more recent updates). Last time I was walking along the road and street car passed me, turned round in the service road for the local shops (he looked totally lost...) then drove past me the other way. I thought I might have appeared two or three times but only one blurred shot of me appeared. Was going to post the image but as I said, can't now as it has gone.

ABB125

Established Member
As an aside, how many of you have found yourselves on Street View? I have twice (though these no longer are there due to more recent updates). Last time I was walking along the road and street car passed me, turned round in the service road for the local shops (he looked totally lost...) then drove past me the other way. I thought I might have appeared two or three times but only one blurred shot of me appeared. Was going to post the image but as I said, can't now as it has gone.
I think you can find historical Street view imagery, there's a menu icon you can click when on a computer, but I can't remember exactly how to do it.

pdeaves

Established Member
My wife and sprog appeared once but have been 'updated away' now as well. They were locking bikes up in front of a local Co-op.

TheSel

Yep - this is me. Complete with camera having just photo'd a 507 from the bridge in the background.

SteveM70

Established Member
My son, then aged about 8, was on it with his mates when they photographed the street we lived in at the time

A chap I used to work with claimed it showed a friend of his coming out of a massage parlour (that’s in the euphemistic sense, not an osteopath or anything) although it feels a bit urban myth to me

ABB125

Established Member
Yep - this is me. Complete with camera having just photo'd a 507 from the bridge in the background.

That reminds me of this highly amusing shot I found.
8860 Badgeworth Rd

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I've not yet found myself in any such image - I don't think I've ever even seen any of the Google cars around.

However, a few years ago I spotted two people from my work in a local Streetview image - and they confirmed it was them when I asked.

route101

Established Member
I've not yet found myself in any such image - I don't think I've ever even seen any of the Google cars around.

However, a few years ago I spotted two people from my work in a local Streetview image - and they confirmed it was them when I asked.
I have only seen them a couple of times. One is parked near my house on an industrial estate.

Welly

My late neighbour appeared in a Streetview picture of my village a few years ago - blurred of course but easily recognisable from her gait!

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
My late neighbour appeared in a Streetview picture of my village a few years ago - blurred of course but easily recognisable from her gait!
If I did ever find myself on a Streetview picture, I'd be onto Google demanding they unblur me and show me clearly!

Gloster

Established Member
The only time I may have appeared on Streetview was on the edge of Soho: I didn’t really notice the car until it was well past me as I was looking at the names on doorways for the one I wanted. (And, no, I was not looking for an address that offered French lessons. I was delivering an urgent package of legal or contract documents.)

Status
Not open for further replies.