• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Interesting rarities that made it into BR blue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Taunton

Established Member
The WR started painting their diesel-hydraulics in maroon, not just the Westerns delivered as such, but some Warships were repainted as well. This was for a few years, then the blue livery came in, and led to the Warships having at one stage about equal numbers, one-third each, of green, red and blue locos.

Some of the original D600 Warships were repainted blue for their last assignment, and it seemed a very nice paint job, well varnished. I recall the last one I ever saw, being used as a substitute long after they had supposedly disappeared from mainstream main line use, probably summer 1967, an Up express coming under the bridge at Taunton one afternoon, with a fully blue/grey formation. It looked immaculate. WR enginemen said they were the best riding of all the hydraulics, a bit underpowered but they would roll downhill (the WR has lots of these) like a coach.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The WR started painting their diesel-hydraulics in maroon, not just the Westerns delivered as such, but some Warships were repainted as well. This was for a few years, then the blue livery came in, and led to the Warships having at one stage about equal numbers, one-third each, of green, red and blue locos.

Some of the original D600 Warships were repainted blue for their last assignment, and it seemed a very nice paint job, well varnished. I recall the last one I ever saw, being used as a substitute long after they had supposedly disappeared from mainstream main line use, probably summer 1967, an Up express coming under the bridge at Taunton one afternoon, with a fully blue/grey formation. It looked immaculate. WR enginemen said they were the best riding of all the hydraulics, a bit underpowered but they would roll downhill (the WR has lots of these) like a coach.
I wish I’d been around to see that @Taunton.

D6130

Established Member
I have books with colour pics. of 6101 and two of 6107 in 67/68, and several of 6129 around these dates.
Class 29 nos 6100/07/08/19/24/29 & 37 were repainted in Rail Blue when outshopped with Paxman Ventura Engines in 1967, but 6101 was one of the thirteen earlier conversions which remained in two-tone green until withdrawn in 1971. Much rarer and more interesting was class 21 no. 6109 which was in works for conversion in late 1967 when the BRB decided to stop the re-engining programme. It had already been repainted in Rail Blue with yellow ends and given four character headcode panels, but was fitted with a reconditioned NBL/MAN engine and returned to Eastfield for Cowlairs banking and ECS duties, thus becoming the only member of its class to carry that livery. It was withdrawn less than a year later and photographs of it in its final condition are extremely rare.

Turning to the other end of the country, I have seen a black & white photo in an Ian Allan combined volume of an ex-GWR outside cylinder 0-6-0 pannier tank loco in what would appear to be Rail Blue livery with a small British Rail double-arrow logo on the cab side where the cast brass numberplate would originally have been. As far as I can remember, it was one of the small batch (1367-70?) transferred from Weymouth to Wadebridge in the early 'sixties to replace the veteran ex-LSWR Beattie 2-4-0 well tanks on the Wenford Bridge branch; having themselves been displaced from Weymouth Quay duties by class 03 diesel shunters.

I also recall the class 23 "Baby Deltic" no. 5909 was repainted in Rail Blue with full yellow ends sometime in the late 'sixties.

The photo of Southern "class 70" electric loco no. 20001 further up this thread was taken in platform 2 at Guildford, well off the type's normal beat. Judging by the poses of the crew, it has just been uncoupled from a train. I wonder if it was perhaps working a rail tour?

7, 8 and 9 :D
And their carriages, which I don't think anyone's mentioned yet.
Some prize must go to this ancient six-wheeler in departmental service: https://www.flickr.com/photos/robertcwp/14748010617/
Possibly the prize for most antiquated-looking vehicle to be painted in blue/grey.
That’s amazing. Was it the only pre grouping item that made it into corporate blue? (Apart from the VoR tanks)
I think (and Wikipedia agrees) the VoR locos were built new by the Great Western just post-Grouping; 7 and 8 were undoubtedly new, whereas 9 was officially a rebuild of one of the original locomotives, but in fact a new build (although if I remember rightly, that only came to light fairly recently).

I seem to remember reading that the Modernization Plan originally envisaged 1975 as the target year for eliminating steam; I wonder whether any other steam locomotives would have been painted blue if that had been stuck to.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
I seem to remember reading that the Modernization Plan originally envisaged 1975 as the target year for eliminating steam; I wonder whether any other steam locomotives would have been painted blue if that had been stuck to.
Now there’s an interesting thought.
I can’t imagine any of the Big Four designs hanging on in anything other than black (I’m thinking of 8Fs and Black 5s), but I could just about picture a 9F in blue with a yellow and black striped front end...

Journeyman

Established Member
I can’t imagine any of the Big Four designs hanging on in anything other than black (I’m thinking of 8Fs and Black 5s), but I could just about picture a 9F in blue with a yellow and black striped front end...
Certainly interesting to speculate on. I suspect that only the 9Fs would have survived any length of time.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Certainly interesting to speculate on. I suspect that only the 9Fs would have survived any length of time.
That’s my feelings too.
Even if just as a face saving exercise...

Irascible

Established Member
There's a bunch of photoshop jobs around of that, they look, um... terrible. I'd have thought they might stay in black, they'd end up black fairly rapidly anyway!

2-tone green suits a few modern items, looks really good on a 67 of all things.

Ianigsy

The Manchester South Junction and Altrincham electric units had at least some sets repainted but were all withdrawn by 1971.

On the other hand, the Class 01s at Holyhead were withdrawn circa 1980 in BR black.

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Much rarer and more interesting was class 21 no. 6109 which was in works for conversion in late 1967 when the BRB decided to stop the re-engining programme. It had already been repainted in Rail Blue with yellow ends and given four character headcode panels, but was fitted with a reconditioned NBL/MAN engine and returned to Eastfield for Cowlairs banking and ECS duties, thus becoming the only member of its class to carry that livery. It was withdrawn less than a year later and photographs of it in its final condition are extremely rare.

I was surprised to find D6109 on the scrap line at Eastfield in the summer of '68, because I assumed at the time that it was a full rebuild - it had the alterations to the vents, I think.
It was late evening and the film Agfa ASA25 but I had a go....D6109 for scrap.jpg

pdeaves

Established Member
Turning to the other end of the country, I have seen a black & white photo in an Ian Allan combined volume of an ex-GWR outside cylinder 0-6-0 pannier tank loco in what would appear to be Rail Blue livery with a small British Rail double-arrow logo on the cab side where the cast brass numberplate would originally have been.
I have always been under the impression that the three narrow gauge locos were the only steam locos to receive blue. Are you sure this wasn't an early attempt at 'Photoshop'? It would be interesting to see any pics if that had actually happened!

Clarence Yard

Established Member
It didn’t happen - 1367 to 1369 were withdrawn in 1964. No standard gauge BR steamer got Rail Blue or a double arrow paint/transfer whilst in BR service.

5909 got it’s blue livery in early 1968 - it was the last of the class to get a classified overhaul and nearly didn’t make it out of Doncaster (it was on hold for a few weeks) as the National Traction Plan was starting to be implemented.

Beebman

On the other hand, the Class 01s at Holyhead were withdrawn circa 1980 in BR black.

08 shunter D3052 survived in BR black at Willesden until 1974 but it was withdrawn before it could receive its TOPS number 08039.

simonw

What happened to the fictitious liveries website? Had some 9fs and others in blue.

D6130

Established Member
It didn’t happen - 1367 to 1369 were withdrawn in 1964. No standard gauge BR steamer got Rail Blue or a double arrow paint/transfer whilst in BR service.

5909 got it’s blue livery in early 1968 - it was the last of the class to get a classified overhaul and nearly didn’t make it out of Doncaster (it was on hold for a few weeks) as the National Traction Plan was starting to be implemented.
According to the South Devon Railway Association website (www.southdevonrailwayassociation.org), 1369 was in blue/grey undercoat at Buckfastleigh from sometime in 1967 until May 1969. Therefore I suspect that the photo that I have seen of it with a small double arrow logo on the cabside must have been taken during this period. I am currently trying to locate the photo in my large book collection and will post on here if and when I find it. I believe that the photo may have appeared in "Preserved Locomotives" by H. C. Casserley, published in the early 'seventies. I can't find my copy at the moment, but if anyone else on here has a copy perhaps they could confirm or otherwise.

Last edited:

D6130

Established Member
I was surprised to find D6109 on the scrap line at Eastfield in the summer of '68, because I assumed at the time that it was a full rebuild - it had the alterations to the vents, I think.
Nice photo....if somewhat sad. D6109 had the full bodywork alterations and blue/yellow repaint....it just didn't receive a Paxman engine. As can be seen from your photo, following withdrawal, the headcode boxes were cut out....presumably for re-use in another loco, possibly for collision damage repairs? It's rather ironic that this loco and her class 29 sisters (with the exception of class 29 prototype D6123) were equipped with four character headcode indicator boxes, as four character train reporting numbers were not allocated to Scottish Region internal services until the May 1973 timetable. Prior to this, they just carried a single digit train classification number....usually surrounded by a selection of dots, white squares or uncovered lightbulbs!

Merle Haggard

Established Member
Nice photo....if somewhat sad. D6109 had the full bodywork alterations and blue/yellow repaint....it just didn't receive a Paxman engine. As can be seen from your photo, following withdrawal, the headcode boxes were cut out....presumably for re-use in another loco, possibly for collision damage repairs? It's rather ironic that this loco and her class 29 sisters (with the exception of class 29 prototype D6123) were equipped with four character headcode indicator boxes, as four character train reporting numbers were not allocated to Scottish Region internal services until the May 1973 timetable. Prior to this, they just carried a single digit train classification number....usually surrounded by a selection of dots, white squares or uncovered lightbulbs!

Thanks. I'm not sure that D6109 was used as a Q St banker - it doesn't have the slip couplings the regular ones had. Bit ironic that it was out of service bur still looking clean & tidy, when the un-rebuilt ones still in use on the bank then were coated in fuel and engine oil running down from the roof and out of the vents.
The 4 character headcode seemed to be an Sc R obsession - their EE4s without were all fitted, but as you say just one blind was used for the train class.

One subject that hasn't been mentioned is the that some locos received a slightly greenish blue and retained the B.R. crest (with the background left green - and green livery style numbers and yellow warning panel. They were said to be depot repaints, and Midland Lines 'Peaks' seemed to be one class that received it, but the Sulzer 2s in that livery seemed to be Western Lines ones

topydre

I don't think steam locomotives would have had yellow fronts even if they had lasted until 1975. This was a safety measure during the transition from steam AIUI because diesel and electric locomotives could be fairly quiet, whereas steam locomotives make their presence very loudly and can be heard from quite a long way away. I think that was the logic anyway; this would seem to preclude yellow fronts to steam locomotives

Bevan Price

Established Member

Three different Warship colours in one photograph (Newton Abbot, Summer 1968):

Attachments

• mxbp022c30_NewtonAbbot_030768.jpg
    mxbp022c30_NewtonAbbot_030768.jpg
    375.3 KB · Views: 70

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Were the 9Fs not designed to last into the 80s. I suppose if a King can be painted blue (although not Rail blue) why not a 9F with arrows on the tender. Photoshop anyone?

pdeaves

Established Member

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Thanks for that! Well IMO it sort of works. The yellow doesn't seem to go,or the arrows on the smoke deflectors but otherwise it's ok. It'll be a Duchess in InterCity red stripe next!!
I remember Larry Goddard (I think) producing various old models in then current liveries in Rail Enthusiast. I think I'm off topic,sorry.

Status
Not open for further replies.