• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Interesting rarities that made it into BR blue?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Inversnecky

My Ian Allan ABC spotters' book of about 1968 had a picture of a Class 29 in blue (well, the picture was black & white, but you could tell because of the yellow ends and double-arrow symbols). They can't have outlasted the start of the Rail Blue era by many years as I think they'd all gone by about 1971.

D6109 was the only Class 21 to get blue livery as well as yellow ends:

ETA: just noticed others have mentioned this already above.

Last edited:

Gloster

Established Member
While looking something else up, I came across a reference to GWR design Monster scenery vans appearing in BR blue. It is suggested, but is not entirely clear, that this included GWR-built outside-framed examples.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
While looking something else up, I came across a reference to GWR design Monster scenery vans appearing in BR blue. It is suggested, but is not entirely clear, that this included GWR-built outside-framed examples.

I’m not even sure what they are?

Gloster

Established Member
I’m not even sure what they are?
Large bogie vans with end and side doors, and a high roof for carrying theatrical scenery flats for touring theatre companies. They were rated as passenger stock and could also be used as normal parcels vans. The SR had some to their own design which had strengthened floors for carrying elephants.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Large bogie vans with end and side doors, and a high roof for carrying theatrical scenery flats for touring theatre companies. They were rated as passenger stock and could also be used as normal parcels vans. The SR had some to their own design which had strengthened floors for carrying elephants.

Ah yes. There’s one down at Buckfastleigh: https://www.southdevonrailwayassociation.org/Van-594.html

Is that the same type?

Gloster

Established Member
Indeed it is one of the variants of the Monster type. This one has an interesting history that it went to Europe at the end of World War II as a motor car van in Eisenhower’s SHAEF train codenamed ALIVE.

Beebman

I've got a copy of 'BR General Parcels Rolling Stock: A Pictorial Survey' by David Larkin published by Bradford Barton in the 1970s which includes a variety of pre-nationalisation parcels vehicles which survived long enough to receive BR blue although unfortunately all the photos are in black and white. On page 27 there's a picture of a GWR Monster van in blue, no number is given but the caption says it's from the batch W493W-W498W. On the following page there's a photo of an SR Elephant van, also in blue, the number given is S4598S.

randyrippley

Established Member
I've got a copy of 'BR General Parcels Rolling Stock: A Pictorial Survey' by David Larkin published by Bradford Barton in the 1970s which includes a variety of pre-nationalisation parcels vehicles which survived long enough to receive BR blue although unfortunately all the photos are in black and white. On page 27 there's a picture of a GWR Monster van in blue, no number is given but the caption says it's from the batch W493W-W498W. On the following page there's a photo of an SR Elephant van, also in blue, the number given is S4598S.
any record of a giraffe van?

Strathclyder

Established Member
Further to @Merle Haggard and @D6130's posts concerning D6109, here is a clear, HQ image of it after it had gained BR Blue, for all intents and purposes indistinguishable from the handful of 29s that gained this livery. If one were to view both it and a blue 29 from a eleveted viewpoint however, several key differences in the roof detail would become immediately apparent, namely the differing exhaust ports (offside single port on the 21s & twin, centrally positioned ports on the 29s).

(copyright holder of attached image unknown, if anyone happens to know who holds the copyright for this one, please let me know and I'll amend this post accordingly)

post-19900-0-80748700-1397139023.jpg

Last edited:

route101

Established Member
What was the oldest stock to make it into BR blue and from what year?

Journeyman

Established Member
What was the oldest stock to make it into BR blue and from what year?
The first batch of Isle of Wight tube stock dated from 1923 to 1935, and must be in with a shout here. I believe it was the first 100% blue fleet on the Southern as well.

A couple of very early Southern suburban EMUs, with 1920s underframes and converted steam-hauled wooden bodywork, survived in departmental use until the mid-70s, and made it into blue.

route101

Established Member
The Isle of Wight tube stock dated from 1923 to 1935, and must be in with a shout here.
Thats up there, I seen a picture of a 4 wheeled bogie car on here or on another website. Looked early 1900s and in BR Blue.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Thats up there, I seen a picture of a 4 wheeled bogie car on here or on another website. Looked early 1900s and in BR Blue.

Have a look at post #16 on here:

Status
Not open for further replies.