• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

intu Trafford Centre tram stop

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Yes, however it was initially intended to do a lot more than a normal PIS system, but it never came to pass.

I have to say my interest in what else it was meant to be able to do has been raised. I'm struggling to think what else it could do that would be useful, my first guess would be which side the doors will open on sort of thing.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

507 001

Established Member
I have to say my interest in what else it was meant to be able to do has been raised. I'm struggling to think what else it could do that would be useful, my first guess would be which side the doors will open on sort of thing.

Sorry only just seen your reply.
Basically it was intended that it would also interface with the TMS system and set the route for you as you went. There is a small slot on the right hand side where you were supposed to insert a card that would give all the details of the days diagram. It would then be able to automatically set destination blinds, points, signals etc.

For whatever reason it never happened, and we ended up with a separate TMS box rather incongruously plonked on the top of the desk on the LHS.

Whether the IBIS system was ever actually capable of doing any of that is unclear. What is clear is it landed us with a far inferior PIS system to that fitted to the T68s in their latter days. The Hanover system fitted to them had GPS for a kick off.

Status
Not open for further replies.