• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Involved in RTA on Nat Ex

Status
Not open for further replies.

DMU180

Hello, I was travelling today on a National Express coach which was involved in quite a serious RTA on the motorway. I won't go into details as I don't feel it is appropriate, but the driver took the names and addresses of all the passengers on board, does anyone have any idea what that was for? Am I going to have a police officer at my door asking for a statement?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Am I going to have a police officer at my door asking for a statement?
Not necessarily; they may feel they have the evidence they need without need to ask you.

If the guilty party admits liability and/or if enough other evidence is gathered, they may not need you to make a statement.

Jordeh

Whilst that cannot be ruled out, I think it will more likely be for insurance purposes incase there is claims or litigation in future.

deltic

Established Member
Hello, I was travelling today on a National Express coach which was involved in quite a serious RTA on the motorway. I won't go into details as I don't feel it is appropriate, but the driver took the names and addresses of all the passengers on board, does anyone have any idea what that was for? Am I going to have a police officer at my door asking for a statement?

Depends on the nature of the incident. More likely it is to minimise fraudulent claims for whiplash etc - plenty of cases where only 10 passengers on a bus but the company receives 50 claims for compensation when there has been an accident

BestWestern

Established Member
Standard policy. Just about every travel company, whether bus, rail or anything else, likes to have details of people aboard when things happen. As above, most likely primarily for insurance and counter-fraud reasons, although of course NatEx ought to be able to identify who was on a given service at a particular time. For the technical details of the crash itself, the vehicle will almost certainly have full CCTV coverage.

overthewater

Established Member
I was witnessed to RTA not a bad one per say but the driver car was clearly a fault. This was many years ago, but the police took my details, but a few months done the line said bus company legal team sent me a letter asking for more details.

DMU180

Thanks for all the information. Based on that it might be worth me writing out what happened and saving it on my computer incase anything comes back later on along the line. The coach driver did say the bus is covered in CCTV so he didnt seem too worried about witnesses.

About a claim, when it hit my arm got wedged in between the seat in front and the window. I've got quite a bit of bruising and a sore arm, would it be worth a claim? Also if I was would that come back on the driver or coach company? I don't want someone getting sacked/in trouble just for the sake of a bit of bruising and slight pain!

Thanks again

Jordeh

About a claim, when it hit my arm got wedged in between the seat in front and the window. I've got quite a bit of bruising and a sore arm, would it be worth a claim? Also if I was would that come back on the driver or coach company? I don't want someone getting sacked/in trouble just for the sake of a bit of bruising and slight pain!
It would come back to whoever is liable for the accident.

If it is just a bit of bruising and slight pain then no I would definitely not make a claim.

Qwerty133

Established Member
It would come back to whoever is liable for the accident.

If it is just a bit of bruising and slight pain then no I would definitely not make a claim.

I wouldn't make a claim against the insurance in this situation, but if I felt the driver was responsible for the crash I'd be expecting at least a refund of the ticket price

Qwerty133

Established Member
On a different note if the CCTV was accessed by the police for any reason could they force NX to hand over the list of names and addresses of passengers found not to be wearing seatbelts?

BestWestern

Established Member
On a different note if the CCTV was accessed by the police for any reason could they force NX to hand over the list of names and addresses of passengers found not to be wearing seatbelts?

If their conviction rates were extremely poor!

philthetube

Established Member
The driver is either in trouble or not, I don't think your bruised arm will make much differencte to him, if you are thinking about claiming get evidence, photograph of bruising etc.

I would expect a letter from the insurance company asking for details of the accident, probably asking for diagrams as well, you only need to provide these if you want. you will only hear from the police if they are struggling to work out what the cause was.

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Thanks for all the information. Based on that it might be worth me writing out what happened and saving it on my computer incase anything comes back later on along the line. The coach driver did say the bus is covered in CCTV so he didnt seem too worried about witnesses.

Thanks again

Personal view is that everybody is far too keen to try to make a claim for absolutely anything these days. My attitude is more along the lines that nothing truly serious has occurred, life goes on etc etc

As I say, this is only my *personal* opinion - I'm sure loads of others will happily claim.

DMU180

I would welcome that as I was, as required by law, wearing my seatbelt, however the person sat behind me was not hence why I was knocked forward.

AlterEgo

Veteran Member
Personal view is that everybody is far too keen to try to make a claim for absolutely anything these days. My attitude is more along the lines that nothing truly serious has occurred, life goes on etc etc

As I say, this is only my *personal* opinion - I'm sure loads of others will happily claim.

Reluctantly agree.

I was involved in a four-car crash (not my fault!) which occurred at around 30mph. I had mild whiplash for about 4-8 weeks. Went through the rigmarole of claiming for my written-off car, attended the medical assessment where I was perfectly honest "it's a little bit sore there, but fine here here and here". No real damage to my quality of life.

Injuries came back as worth £2900, received gratefully but with confusion...

At once I understood why my car insurance was so expensive!

I would still claim again, but I would welcome some sort of limit on claims.

BestWestern

Established Member
Reluctantly agree.

I was involved in a four-car crash (not my fault!) which occurred at around 30mph. I had mild whiplash for about 4-8 weeks. Went through the rigmarole of claiming for my written-off car, attended the medical assessment where I was perfectly honest "it's a little bit sore there, but fine here here and here". No real damage to my quality of life.

Injuries came back as worth £2900, received gratefully but with confusion...

At once I understood why my car insurance was so expensive!

I would still claim again, but I would welcome some sort of limit on claims.

I think, in all honesty, the only 'solution' would simply be for whiplash to be excluded from injury compensation. It would be a blow to those who suffer it of course, but a bigger blow still to those who don't suffer it, but still claim. I can't see it happening, though.

DelW

Established Member
Many years ago I was going home from school on a service bus which was hit from behind by a lorry. A week or two later a policeman came to my parents' house to take a statement from me. It seemed there was some doubt about whether or not the bus had actually stopped before the collision.

There were only two of us on the top deck and we had to be rescued by the fire brigade as the crash had crushed the (rear) stairs. The other upstairs passenger was a very large middle-aged guy who they had some difficulty getting out!

Status
Not open for further replies.