• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

irresponsible photographer at Newton Le Willows

Status
Not open for further replies.

gimmea50anyday

Established Member
Words fail me over the idiotic actions of this individual taking risks beyond comprehension for the "perfect" image, let alone the selfishness of the individual blocking other peoples view.

My trains hammer through here at 70mph. I hate to imahing the carnage that would have been caused had he fallen or got blown off. Not to mention the proximity of the OHLE.

I have only one thing to say. BTP are looking for you. Suggest you put yourself forward. Otherwise if you know who this individual is bringing the railway enthusiast into disrepute with their behaviour then BTP want to hear from you.

Genuine railway enthusiasts are betting pretty peeved off with idiots behaving like this......

Attachments

• 14203200_10153816001721931_7830837260122159877_n.jpg
    14203200_10153816001721931_7830837260122159877_n.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 1,657
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

DasLunatic

I thought people crossing the lines to see a steam loco was bad. Now there's people climbing up ladders just under OHLE to see a diesel...

Last edited by a moderator:

J-2739

Established Member
Reminds me of those people who take the 'ultimate selfie' on railway bridges, only to fall off and land on the OHL...

Why can't they just zoom in with their cameras instead?

Harbornite

Established Member
What a twit. This is beggar's belief, it should be common knowledge that ladders make good conductors of electricity.

richieb1971

Established Member
Bad practice on several counts. Most notably that he has his back facing the traffic for which platform he is on, the OHLE ladder situation and being way too close to the platform edge.

I often wonder if there is some kind of prize money for the best picture taken of a train engine. Bragging rights must mean a lot to these people.

He would have been better off going line side where there is likely to be nobody around.

Established Member
Suppose he'd been about five feet to the left: much less likely to fall off the edge of the platform, and not blocking the picture for other photographers. Would be then be considered so stupid? Even as he is he's several feet away from the OHLE, and he'd be even further away if his ladder was not so near the platform edge.

Darandio

Established Member
Suppose he'd been about five feet to the left: much less likely to fall off the edge of the platform, and not blocking the picture for other photographers. Would be then be considered so stupid? Even as he is he's several feet away from the OHLE, and he'd be even further away if his ladder was not so near the platform edge.

Yes, even taking a ladder to a railway station doesn't seem normal to me. In fact, i'd call it stupid.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Natural selection (almost) at work there.

Last edited:

Ianno87

Veteran Member
If the (sensibly behaving) bloke in the white T-shirt had accidentally stepped to his right without looking, who knows what the consequences could have been...

Robertj21a

On Moderation
Hopefully someone will know who the idiot is and can help with any enquiries.

EM2

Established Member
Yes. Metal ladders of any kind are banned on platforms with OHLE, even for contractors.

Kite159

Veteran Member
Prat of the year

All it would have taken was a 185 storming through to knocked him from his ladder.

(And how ironic would have been if a 319 just happened to be departing at the same time the loco was coming through?)

plenty cctv cameras on station platforms that should help bt police, how long before someone with an extended tripod/monopod 30 foot'up in the air comes into contact with OH wires

DarloRich

Veteran Member
I saw this tweeted to the BTP & i wondered if it would turn up here - hopefully the BTP will feel his collar and have a little chat.

Bad practice on several counts. Most notably that he has his back facing the traffic for which platform he is on, the OHLE ladder situation and being way too close to the platform edge.

I often wonder if there is some kind of prize money for the best picture taken of a train engine. Bragging rights must mean a lot to these people.

He would have been better off going line side where there is likely to be nobody around.

You reckon? He would have been better off not bringing his ladder out and not being a silly wazzock by going up it right next to the OHLE. Why did none of the people with him suggest he stop being an idiot considering they would all be injured in the event of any electrical/idiot/ladder interface

yes - he would still be considered stupid.

If the (sensibly behaving) bloke in the white T-shirt had accidentally stepped to his right without looking, who knows what the consequences could have been...

If the fool up the ladder had gone any higher who knows what might have happened to the sensible bloke in the white t shirt and all the others!

Last edited:

J-2739

Established Member
You reckon? He would have been better off not bringing his ladder out and not being a silly wazzock by going up it right next to the OHLE. Why did none of the people with him suggest he stop being an idiot considering they would all be injured in the event of any electrical/idiot/ladder interface

Who knows if he was doing it just for new scandal on the internet. Attention seekers these days...

transmanche

Established Member
I am sure that there are those on this website who can quote railway bylaws off by heart, so what are the railway bylaws that have been infringed by the actions of the person on the ladder in the position involved.
I'd say
11(2) No person shall place, throw, drop or trail anything on the railway which is capable of injuring, damaging or endangering any person or any property.
just about covers it.

E_Reeves

Established Member
(And how ironic would have been if a 319 just happened to be departing at the same time the loco was coming through?)

Would a passenger driver let the loco pass before departing due getting in the photographers' way?

Last edited:

theironroad

Established Member
That is very close to the edge and with back to running line direction by looks of it.

What puzzles me more is why he thinks he is getting a better picture two rungs up a ladder. There aren't many people there and no-one in front of him, so why does he think he needs a ladder to get a better view.

I'd be especially interested in responses from platform photographers....

theironroad

Established Member

It's not really relevant to this thread but I think they mean, if a pass service had been stopped in the opposite platform (the platform where there are photographers ), would the pass service wait a bit so not as to obscure the view of the non stop special train.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator

There is a good possibility some drivers will refuse to take the train any further until the idiot is clear of platform edge. It's an accident waiting to happen. Not for the benefit of the shot, but more a safety concern.

Perhaps he knew exactly what he was doing, as in that case his shots would not be blocked.

Prize-winning idiot.

Status
Not open for further replies.