• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is it a bit desparate to do this....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anon Mouse

Established Member
The Birmingham International - Airport People Mover??

I'm having a mini-bash in the West Midlands at the end of the month and I'm considering having a spin on it. In connection with it I have several of questions;

1) Is it classed as an Insect move?
2) Does it count for mileage?
3) Do the cars have numbers?
4) Is it free or is there a charge?
5) Is it the same formation as the Maglev
6) Are there any remains of the BR Maglev

Cheers!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Counting it for mileage is a bit desperate!Ain't it just cabled-operated anyway?

Can't say I've ever seen numbers on them.It is free to ride,and as for the BR Maglev,I've never seen anything left of it

Anon Mouse

Established Member
Counting it for mileage is a bit desperate!Ain't it just cabled-operated anyway?

I belive so but its still my my book propulsion haha, I'm just judging other peoples opinion of it!

On a seperate note, is there a viewing gallery at the Airport?

transportphoto

Established Member
Associate Staff
Quizmaster
CORRECTION my answer for Number 1 should be 2 with an added 'AFAIAA' :smile:

TP

Anon Mouse

Established Member
What's an insect move?

a very short move normally done to accualate a very low amount of milage or to red pen a loco/unit with little effort.

I'm sure a few of the more enthusuastic members of the forum will have different interpations

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Speaking of Maglev, I trust you have experienced the Shanghai Maglev?

I too cannot remember seeing numbers on them. My record sheets refer to them as either Blue or Green.

34D

Established Member
Some interesting info and pics at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AirRail_Link

I believe that two of the maglev cars still survive (was there only two?).

STEVIEBOY1

Established Member
The Birmingham International - Airport People Mover??

I'm having a mini-bash in the West Midlands at the end of the month and I'm considering having a spin on it. In connection with it I have several of questions;

1) Is it classed as an Insect move?
2) Does it count for mileage?
3) Do the cars have numbers?
4) Is it free or is there a charge?
5) Is it the same formation as the Maglev
6) Are there any remains of the BR Maglev

Cheers!

Does this run between Birmingham International Station and the Airport, I seem to recal there used to be something like a mono rail there.? Otherwise how do people get from the Station to the airport.

jopsuk

Veteran Member
Yes, it's a cable hauled railway between the airport and the railway station. There wasn't a monorail- it runs along the structure built for the mag-lev system (pioneering, if low-speed, technology for its time) that preceeded it.

Temple Meads

Established Member
I bashed it in November last year, and (as it's free) I'd heartily recommend it, you get a great view, and the speed as it approaches the "platforms" is actually quite frightening to start with :lol:

D365

Veteran Member
I bashed it in November last year, and (as it's free) I'd heartily recommend it, you get a great view, and the speed as it approaches the "platforms" is actually quite frightening to start with :lol:

Agreed ;)

CC 72100

Established Member

I did it the other week, whilst waiting for my ticket to be valid on a WMDR (9am restriction). I'd had them both for haulage when they were new though, so no red pen action this time. Obviously make sure you go over with one 'unit' (what do you even call them!) and back with the other. ;)

Anon Mouse

Established Member
I did it the other week, whilst waiting for my ticket to be valid on a WMDR (9am restriction). I'd had them both for haulage when they were new though, so no red pen action this time. Obviously make sure you go over with one 'unit' (what do you even call them!) and back with the other. ;)

Yeah I'll try and make sure! I'm also trying to get the 139 in on the same day, I think thats a bit of an insecty desperation too!

bluenoxid

Established Member
Yeah I'll try and make sure! I'm also trying to get the 139 in on the same day, I think thats a bit of an insecty desperation too!

It is a great little ride, just for something different.If you are at the NEC and find the food places rammed, it is likely that the railway station is rammed too. Hop on the Shuttle (which is 30 seconds walk) and you will find the Brum Airport food areas deserted. I upset a lot of colleagues by getting lunch quicker than them. :lol:

6Gman

Established Member
It is a great little ride, just for something different.If you are at the NEC and find the food places rammed, it is likely that the railway station is rammed too. Hop on the Shuttle (which is 30 seconds walk) and you will find the Brum Airport food areas deserted. I upset a lot of colleagues by getting lunch quicker than them. :lol:

Been there. Done that. Enjoy!

:D

12CSVT

Established Member
When I did that move (I think it was 2003 or 2004) I made a point of doing both cars.

Also did the Gatwick Airport transit a few weeks later but only one of the cars was in use.

Temple Meads

Established Member

I wish I'd worked that one out back in 2007 when I was at a show at the NEC, as it was, finding food quickly was an absolute nightmare :(

Anon Mouse

Established Member
I'm lookifng forward to it now, sad that this is the type of thing I'm froffing over now but theres not much out there nowadays!

sprinterguy

Established Member
On a seperate note, is there a viewing gallery at the Airport?
Yeah, there is. Not my sort of thing mind but I am aware of it's existance.

I am fairly confident that I've used the International people mover more times to access the Wetherspoons at the Airport than to actual link into flights! :D

Techniquest

Veteran Member
The Aviation Experience at BHX has been closed for ages. However there is a viewing area that's actually quite good. From the cable-operated-so-not-actually-a-train thing, head downstairs and to outside. Turn right and walk along with the building to the right, past M+S. Carry on towards the long stay car park and the viewing area is next to that. It even has benches to sit on, although a good pair of binos is required for getting most craft's reg's!

Status
Not open for further replies.