• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is sarcasm a form of bullying?

Status
Not open for further replies.

MattRat

On Moderation
In my household we were taught to grow a backbone, so personally (and that's the key part as I'm not applying this to everyone), I don't let things like that get under my skin.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

_toommm_

Established Member
I'm a very sarcastic person myself, so can definitely give and take it. I've worked in retail since I was 16 to put me through college and it's putting me through university. If I get a sarcastic remark or two, I'll normally brush it off. The one time that sticks in my mind though was about six months ago when I had someone remark 'What are you, deaf?' when I couldn't hear a postcode she was saying. This was whilst masks were still mandatory, plus we had a plastic screen in the way between my side of the desk and the customers's side. She didn't help by not using the phonetic alphabet when I asked her to repeat the first time, but as someone who struggles with their hearing, that remark really annoyed me.

I'd much rather be told to f*** off, as I have been several times, then have something like that.

najaB

Veteran Member
She didn't help by not using the phonetic alphabet when I asked her to repeat the first time, but as someone who struggles with their hearing, that remark really annoyed me.
Indeed, sarcasm can be dickish but to the OP's question it's not in itself bullying. In your scenario she definitely was being a terrible human being and had she, for example, come back later to have another go then that would be bullying.

Dai Corner

Established Member
I'm a very sarcastic person myself, so can definitely give and take it. I've worked in retail since I was 16 to put me through college and it's putting me through university. If I get a sarcastic remark or two, I'll normally brush it off. The one time that sticks in my mind though was about six months ago when I had someone remark 'What are you, deaf?' when I couldn't hear a postcode she was saying. This was whilst masks were still mandatory, plus we had a plastic screen in the way between my side of the desk and the customers's side. She didn't help by not using the phonetic alphabet when I asked her to repeat the first time, but as someone who struggles with their hearing, that remark really annoyed me.

I'd much rather be told to f*** off, as I have been several times, then have something like that.
Is that sarcasm? Sarcasm is saying the opposite to what you mean.

If I wanted* to be sarcastic in that situation I'd say something like "It's good to repeat what you've said a few times to make sure you've been understood".

* I wouldn't, as I have hearing difficulties myself and am often unable to understand, even without masks and Perspex screens.

_toommm_

Established Member
Is that sarcasm? Sarcasm is saying the opposite to what you mean.

If I wanted* to be sarcastic in that situation I'd say something like "It's good to repeat what you've said a few times to make sure you've been understood".

* I wouldn't, as I have hearing difficulties myself and am often unable to understand, even without masks and Perspex screens.

Id say it was a pretty sarcastic way to say it, but that’s me.

Status
Not open for further replies.