• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is the leccy supply to the railway 'just enough'?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Class 170101

Established Member
there were no feeder stations planned for Preston-Blackpool North, the Sectioning Cabins were installed as planned at Kirkham and Blackpool North
Probably should have been clearer, I was actually thinking iof the wider NW electrification scheme so to Manchester, Bolton, Wigan, Liverpool etc.

Elecman

Established Member
Probably should have been clearer, I was actually thinking iof the wider NW electrification scheme so to Manchester, Bolton, Wigan, Liverpool etc.
There are 2 Feeders installed as part of NW Electrification. Willow Park at Parkside and Heyrod at Stalybridge,( via the Heyrod Ordsall Independant Feeder HOIF aka the Long Extension Lead) There were no others planned.

snowball

Established Member
There are 2 Feeders installed as part of NW Electrification. Willow Park at Parkside and Heyrod at Stalybridge,( via the Heyrod Ordsall Independant Feeder HOIF aka the Long Extension Lead) There were no others planned.
And of these, wasn't Willow Park a replacement for a previous nearby one for the WCML? (In addition to feeding some of the newly electrified lines.)

Last edited:

WAO

IIRC, Willow Park (L&M) used the feed to the redundant Parkside FS but Parkside (WCML) was replaced by the new Weaver Jn FS (extension lead from Frodsham). It's quite a long way North to the next one and isn't surprising that there has been talk of low volts at Preston. A pity as there's a large SG substation at Penwortham.

WAO

GRALISTAIR

Established Member
IIRC, Willow Park (L&M) used the feed to the redundant Parkside FS but Parkside (WCML) was replaced by the new Weaver Jn FS (extension lead from Frodsham). It's quite a long way North to the next one and isn't surprising that there has been talk of low volts at Preston. A pity as there's a large SG substation at Penwortham.
I can see that eventually happening but probably not in my lifetime. The triggers would be Preston- Colne/Bradford-Leeds getting electrified and Salford Crescent - Wigan (via Atherton) to Southport and then saying well we might as well electrify Preston-Ormskirk and Blackpool South and sometime during that sparking up process put a Grid Feeder in at Penwortham to boost overall supplies.

What will happen earlier probably is that Euxton Jct to Catterall will get the Auto-transformer system.

Status
Not open for further replies.