• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is the paper or mobile Interrail better and how to make reservations?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ringo2112

Hi, I will be traveling on a Eurail Global pass for 30 day consecutive. I know in Italy I have to have a reservation for high speed. Is it best to get paper or mobile? And how would I purchase my reservation? Through the app or just buy at station if I have a paper one?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Veteran Member
Hi, I will be traveling on a Eurail Global pass for 30 day consecutive. I know in Italy I have to have a reservation for high speed. Is it best to get paper or mobile? And how would I purchase my reservation? Through the app or just buy at station if I have a paper one?
Hi and welcome. The Man at Seat 61 has a wealth of information including IIRC details of a website where you can book reservation-only.
https://www.seat61.com/how-to-use-a-eurail-pass.htm
Afraid I know nothing about the Eurail app.

Richard Scott

Established Member
For Italy sometimes easier to purchase the reservation at the station, used to be able to do it on Trenitalia app but think that facility is no longer available.

superalbs

Established Member
Go for paper. There are still some issues with the mobile pass, and it's just not worth the potential hassle for the time being.

For Italy sometimes easier to purchase the reservation at the station, used to be able to do it on Trenitalia app but think that facility is no longer available.
Sadly they removed that in early 2019, I think because people kept buying the reservations and then trying to use them as full tickets.

Ringo2112

They don't offer a Eurail Global paper pass any longer it seems. I'm doing Italy, Switzerland, Australia, Germany and perhaps Czech Republic. Italy is the main one I need reservations for. Do you think it would be best if I just purchase my reservation at the station from the agent, and just show him or her my mobile app? I'm hearing about some nightmares with a mobile pass. I may just do that. Thanks again guys, this is a great forum

Shinkansenfan

They don't offer a Eurail Global paper pass any longer it seems. I'm doing Italy, Switzerland, Australia, Germany and perhaps Czech Republic. Italy is the main one I need reservations for. Do you think it would be best if I just purchase my reservation at the station from the agent, and just show him or her my mobile app? I'm hearing about some nightmares with a mobile pass. I may just do that. Thanks again guys, this is a great forum

Here's one source that still proudly offers paper Eurailpasses:
https://www.eurail.com/en/get-inspi...t-eurail/why-we-still-offer-paper-rail-passes

They even list 5 reasons, although their 5th reason is inaccurate. Earlier EPs had thicker card stock and were partially laminated.

I'd go with the paper Eurailpass and eschew the mobile one. Too many things to go wrong with the mobile one.

Oddly, when I checked out RailEurope.com last night, they only showed a railpass for Switzerland and for no other countries.

Last edited:

Ringo2112

Nope, you can not buy a Eurail Global paper pass. It pulls up the two options, mobile or paper, then instantly drops the paper option, only leaving you with the mobile pass to buy

Shinkansenfan

Nope, you can not buy a Eurail Global paper pass. It pulls up the two options, mobile or paper, then instantly drops the paper option, only leaving you with the mobile pass to buywel
Here's on source that still proudly offers paper Eurailpasses:
https://www.eurail.com/en/get-inspi...t-eurail/why-we-still-offer-paper-rail-passes

They even list 5 reasons, although their 5th reason is inaccurate. Earlier EPs had thicker card stock and were partially laminated.

I'd go with the paper Eurailpass and eschew the mobile one. Too many things to go wrong with the mobile one.

Oddly, when I checked out RailEurope.com last night, they only showed a railpass for Switzerland and for no other countries.

Well that is silly of them. Especially after creating a web page. I also noticed no phone number for queries. They lose my business.

Shinkansenfan

http://www.railpass.com/ appears to sell paper EPs. But when attempting to click through the Shopping Cart, I got a system error (maintenance being performed). At least they list a phone number.

https://www.acprail.com/ also appears to sell paper EPs. When I click through, you pay a hefty US $35 for shipping to US postal addresses + another $2.40 bahksheesh booking fee. They too list a phone number.

Too bad STA Travel went out of business. They were my go to place. They were fast, reliable and would waive booking fees for me.

Ringo2112

Shinkansefan, Thank you for all your help. I guess I'll just go with the mobile app. I'm not very tech savvy, so I hope it's not too complicated. Besides Italy, the other countries I'm traveling to I would think I just need to flash the app to them, since they don't need reservations. I'm getting a 30 day consecutive, so I don't see any reason why I would need to show a trip. Someone could correct me if I'm wrong about that.

Shinkansenfan

You're welcome Ringo2112!

If not tech saavy, I would definitely go with the paper pass and pay the shipping fees. The mobile version requires you to connect the app once every three days, or else the pass becomes inactive. There is so much that could go wrong with the mobile version. Please see the other thread about issues with the mobile version of the Interrail pass.

Ringo2112

Thanks, it is only 17 USD more if I go through Acprail. That is worth it for peace of mind. It makes you wonder how they can have the paper pass and Eurail doesn't. Has anyone used Acprail before? Once again, thank you for all your help

Alfonso

With inter rail you need to record every trip, I'd imagine it's similar with ER

Welby

Thanks, it is only 17 USD more if I go through Acprail. That is worth it for peace of mind. It makes you wonder how they can have the paper pass and Eurail doesn't. Has anyone used Acprail before? Once again, thank you for all your help
Personally I would not use ACP Rail. I am still waiting for a refund of almost $400 on passes purchased in March 2020 for travel in May 2020. Their excuse is that the refund staff are "working from home" and "do not have access to the accounts department.

Shinkansenfan

Personally I would not use ACP Rail. I am still waiting for a refund of almost $400 on passes purchased in March 2020 for travel in May 2020. Their excuse is that the refund staff are "working from home" and "do not have access to the accounts department.

Could you file a dispute with your credit card company regarding the delayed refund?

Nope, you can not buy a Eurail Global paper pass. It pulls up the two options, mobile or paper, then instantly drops the paper option, only leaving you with the mobile pass to buy

Being curious about this, I tried a dummy booking.

I was able to select the paper pass. The default "radio button" is set for the mobile pass, but selecting the paper pass "radio button" worked. All the way through to the payment page.

Another default is the Pass Protection which is enabled and extra cost. You have to opt out to "unselect" the Protection ("nice pass you have there, it would be a shame if anything happened to it!") where if you opt out, they prompt you with another "scare" screen to say "are you sure?"

Last edited:

MisterT

I've used ACP Rail in the past, but that was before covid hit. When the ordered passes were lost in the mail (the envelope arrived damaged and the passes had disappeared), they quickly send out a replacement pass without hassle.

johncrossley

Established Member
I wouldn't risk buying Interrail by post. There are still plenty of railway stations in mainland Europe where it can be bought, and there is a SBB office in London.

Ringo2112

Thanks for the response guys.. I actually did go through ACP Rail, and got the paper pass quickly. Thanks Shinkansenfan for all your help

Shinkansenfan

Thanks for the response guys.. I actually did go through ACP Rail, and got the paper pass quickly. Thanks Shinkansenfan for all your help

You’re welcome.

Good to hear you got the type of pass you wanted so quickly. Glad to be of help!

Let us know how your rail trips turn out!

Status
Not open for further replies.