• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is there a good technical book regarding first gen dmu's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dakta

As the title really, are there any technical-oriented publications for these?

Want to do some background reading really into how they were constructed, how they work, the engines used, brake systems, transmission etc. Good summary's on wikipedia etc but obviously just that - a summary.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Seems to be rather opportunistic pricing by World of Books for this particular title!

Wonder how many of the online retailers offering the book actually have the item in stock, or whether some / most of them are just hoping to source the book from elsewhere and then pass it on at a hefty mark up?

hexagon789

Veteran Member
Hugh Longworths book is excellent but it appears to be a scarce collectors item just now https://www.amazon.co.uk/British-Railways-First-Generation-DMUs/dp/0860936120 I have a copy that I bought in a second hand bookshop in Wigtown, cost me a lot less than some prices I have seen recently.
Funnily enough when I was in Inverness a few weeks ago there was a copy in Leakey's bookshop, no idea of the price and as I have a copy I didn't bother to look - but it proves they do still turn up.

Want to do some background reading really into how they were constructed, how they work, the engines used, brake systems, transmission etc. Good summary's on wikipedia etc but obviously just that - a summary.
I would recommend Hugh Longworth's First Generation DMUs book, though it is difficult to obtain but I would say it was the most complete book on the subject.

Nevertheless, practically all the information within the book can also be found on the railcar website including photos, so I think you have to ask whether you want a physical book or just the information because the latter is available freely online.

dakta

To be honest it's more the info. (thanks for the link tbh, railcar.co.uk is good but again not that much in depth).

Thinking of volunteering again and it's likely to be working on the DMU side so wanted to do a bit of study really so I could start a step ahead and have a good mechanical comprehension of their build in general. I appreciate this has some serious limitations!

hexagon789

Veteran Member
To be honest it's more the info. (thanks for the link tbh, railcar.co.uk is good but again not that much in depth).

Thinking of volunteering again and it's likely to be working on the DMU side so wanted to do a bit of study really so I could start a step ahead and have a good mechanical comprehension of their build in general. I appreciate this has some serious limitations!
Well for instance if you are looking for technical info, Railcar has scans of the official driving instructions for most classes on their site. Something you don't get with the Longworth book which is essentially broken into - basic class history, allocations, numbering, formations and diagrams.

dmncf

This YouTube video might interest you - you should be able to navigate from it to the others in this series of four videos:

Ashley Hill

Established Member
The BTF film Diesel Train Driver in four parts is also on YouTube. It's a training film for drivers. It's quite indepth and has a clip of the working of a sectioned epicyclic gearbox,general description of the units and faults & failures. The Diesel Handbook for Enginemen (Ebay/Amazon) is a technical book on diesel locos and IIRC also includes DMUs.

birchesgreen

Established Member
The relevant volume of Brian Haresnape's BR fleet survey, i think its number 8, has some good technical details.

Status
Not open for further replies.