• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is there a rule / preference regarding which pantograph is to be used on any of the modern Dutch EMU's?

Status
Not open for further replies.

delticdave

Moderator note: Spit from
In the Dutch NS FLIRT we can simply block a pantograph from rising, and the train will automatically raise the other one instead.
Seems weird to me that the drivers can't do anything to select the pantograph.
Hi, is there a rule / preference regarding which pantograph is to be used on any of the modern Dutch EMU's? (IE. leading or trailing, assuming that the unit has two pans.....) I'm old enough to remember Hondekops & Mat 46's using the pans above the driving cabs but from Mat 64 onwards the pans seem to be located away from the cab ends. Why do I ask, 'cos I'm trying to run my H0 models as per the real thing........... Sorry for the digression but I'm not really up-to-date on NS operations anymore.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

MisterT

There isn't a general rule. Most EMUs use one of the pantographs all the time until it is no longer fit for use, and then we change it manually to the other pantograph. So it's usually completely random.
There are a few exceptions though:
NS FLIRT: front pantograph is always used in the driving direction (it was the rear panto for a few years, but it was changed after we experienced some issues with ice on the overhead wires after changing direction: because the rear pantograph was raised, it hadn't scraped off the ice at the location of the other panto, so when the train changed direction, it didn't connect to the overhead wires)
Class 1600/1700/1800 locomotives/DDZ motorcar (basically a locomotive): rear pantograph, but exceptions to this rule occur, usually with cargo trains (16/17/1800 is limited to 75 km/h when the front pantograph is raised). The front panto is used with, for example, certain goods behind the locomotive.
Other locomotives, e.g. class 186: depends on whether if they're running in multiple or not (pantograph is automatically selected by the TCMS). General rule for running under 1.5 kV=: rear panto. When running in multiple: front panto on the front running engine, rear panto on the rear engine.
Class 186 when running on 25 kV~: panto above Cab 1. The panto on Cab 2 is a smaller panto, designed for Belgium (1450 mm instead of 1950 mm), but can be used in emergencies.

Last edited:

Giugiaro

Interesting. In Portugal (where there's hardly any issues with ice) always the pantograph furthest from the front cab is used.

The reason being that if there's an obstacle in the overhead line and the pantograph gets damaged, it won't strike and damage the unused one.

I thought this was the rule everywhere, but apparently... no...

JonasB

Interesting. In Portugal (where there's hardly any issues with ice) always the pantograph furthest from the front cab is used.

The reason being that if there's an obstacle in the overhead line and the pantograph gets damaged, it won't strike and damage the unused one.

I thought this was the rule everywhere, but apparently... no...

That's the case in Sweden as well, where ice is common. But maybe it's less of an issue on 15 kV?

JonathanP

In Germany it's the rearmost pantograph(better chance of stopping if there is a problem ahead), unless the train is double heading/double unit, in which case the pantographs furthest apart are used(less stress on the contact wire), except if it's a freight train carrying dangerous goods(oil, chemicals etc.) in which case it's the frontmost(fire risk from sparks hitting the cargo).

zuriblue

In Switzerland it tends to be the back pantograph except for RABe 514s (Siemens double deck stock from the 2000s) where both pans have to be used as there isn't a bus wire along the unit. Double headed units tend to use the pans at the extremities.

Last edited:

superjohn

I have noticed class 186 drivers usually use two pantographs to start from a standstill, as used to happen with other locos. Occasionally they only use one so I assume it isn’t an automatic process.

MisterT

That's the case in Sweden as well, where ice is common. But maybe it's less of an issue on 15 kV?
I don't know about 15 kV as we don't have that in NL, but in my experience with 25 kV, there aren't any issues with ice. Yes, it gives a nice white-blue light effect on a dark morning and it isn't any good for the collector head, but it'll work.
On 1.5 kV there's a high chance of running into issues with ice. With severe icing, we try to run special (empty) de-icing trains that scrapes the ice from the overhead lines, but almost every winter there will be a few stranded trains somewhere due to severe icing, mostly because the high voltage converter locks itself out of use due to the severe fluctuations or (as with the FLIRT) the main circuit breaker will not close as it doesn't detect any current.

I have noticed class 186 drivers usually use two pantographs to start from a standstill, as used to happen with other locos. Occasionally they only use one so I assume it isn’t an automatic process.
It's an automatic process with the class 186, but it's only the locomotive that is feeding the power to the carriages. So if it's a freight train or the locomotive at the other side of the train, then you'll probably not see it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.