• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is this covid test accepted?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cdd89

Established Member
The U.K. has no testing requirements for outbound international travel so it is entirely down to the policies of your destination country and airline.

Bantamzen

Established Member
I've seen a few ads for different ones across social media recently, including this one. And all seem to cost the Earth, how much do these actually cost because this seems like an awful lot. I do hope the government hasn't been paying anything like this, it seems that covid-profiteering is in full swing.

Gadget88

I've seen a few ads for different ones across social media recently, including this one. And all seem to cost the Earth, how much do these actually cost because this seems like an awful lot. I do hope the government hasn't been paying anything like this, it seems that covid-profiteering is in full swing.
Yes I imagine there is free ones available but not ones you take at home probably need to turn up at a testing centre. I am sort of expecting these prices to come down at one point face masks use to be very expensive. I asked Superdrug if this is accepted for flying and they don’t know.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
The only people who will know are the airline you're proposing to fly with and the country you're proposing to enter.

kristiang85

Established Member

To compare, in Iceland I paid £50 for PCR and in Turkey £25.

Whether those were subsidised or not to get tourists in, I don't know, but I suspect given the bulk of testing done that the prices in the UK are very heavily inflated for profits. It would be good to get a FOI on how much the NHS pays per test free to the public.

Cdd89

Established Member
The NHS Covid test kits you have to order when returning from overseas are £105 each (x2). I assume the government is not making a profit from travellers and therefore that is a realistic estimate of the costs of carrying out a test?

greyman42

Established Member

Gadget88

I would not of thought that any sort of home testing would be accepted as proof of a test result as there would be no proof that you have actually tested yourself.
Yes but the saliva would match mine. Nobody else has it. Also isn’t lots of tests home kits these dates? Surely they can’t afford to keep testing centres open once people get the vaccine?
Will there be no non swabbing tests to travel?

I seen this

www.med-technews.com/api/amp/news/Covid-19-Medtech-News/edinburgh-airport-rapid-covid-19-testing-trial-to-determine-/
Pre-departure rapid testing to tell people if they have a current COVID-19 infection with results in 15 minutes, will be trialled at Edinburgh Airport as part of recovery planning for aviation.

Last edited:

island

Veteran Member
It depends where you’re going.

There were reports this week of passengers being refused boarding on Ryanair flights to Ireland because they had the “wrong type of PCR test”. I did not know there were several.

nlogax

Established Member

Trackman

Established Member
I know inbound to the UK they do accept home kit results but only a test done at a accredited clinic or whatever in that particular country. I suppose it’s to stop people fiddling the system.

FQTV

As has pointed out a few times it will depend on your destination. Work backwards - focus on the test requirements of the country to which you want to travel. Where are you planning to go?

Exactly right.

The generic problem with postal tests from a travel point of view, however, is that all countries which mandate a pre-departure negative result set a time frame in which the test must have been taken prior to travel.

This varies by country, and the datum point for the timing varies, too.

For the US and UK, for example, the test must have been taken within the three days prior to embarkation for the specific flight sector which lands in the destination country of the US or UK.

Other countries set the datum point as the scheduled time of arrival in the destination country, and others as the time of departure from the initial origin, and others by the time of departure of the flight which lands in the destination country. In these latter cases, the time period is usually set as a specific number of hours - eg 48 or 72.

In all cases, however, the issue with postal tests is that the time of the test isn't verified by an accredited practitioner, and the turnround time of the tests may not be reliable enough to meet the demand of the specific destination country's published time frame.

For this reason, almost all 'Fit to Fly' tests are currently being carried out by clinics, in person, either at their normal premises or at temporary ones, including at some airports.

All countries publish their specific requirements on their own websites, most of which are linked to from the UK Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office website.

The one caveat to the reliability of the various websites is that they tend to show only the current regulations for immediate travel; not necessarily any that are proposed for future dates. All travellers must therefore check frequently in the run up to departure to ensure that no material changes have been made (for example the Netherlands additionally requiring a negative LAMP test result within four hours of departure on an international flight to the country).

Gadget88

Exactly right.

The generic problem with postal tests from a travel point of view, however, is that all countries which mandate a pre-departure negative result set a time frame in which the test must have been taken prior to travel.

This varies by country, and the datum point for the timing varies, too.

For the US and UK, for example, the test must have been taken within the three days prior to embarkation for the specific flight sector which lands in the destination country of the US or UK.

Other countries set the datum point as the scheduled time of arrival in the destination country, and others as the time of departure from the initial origin, and others by the time of departure of the flight which lands in the destination country. In these latter cases, the time period is usually set as a specific number of hours - eg 48 or 72.

In all cases, however, the issue with postal tests is that the time of the test isn't verified by an accredited practitioner, and the turnround time of the tests may not be reliable enough to meet the demand of the specific destination country's published time frame.

For this reason, almost all 'Fit to Fly' tests are currently being carried out by clinics, in person, either at their normal premises or at temporary ones, including at some airports.

All countries publish their specific requirements on their own websites, most of which are linked to from the UK Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office website.

The one caveat to the reliability of the various websites is that they tend to show only the current regulations for immediate travel; not necessarily any that are proposed for future dates. All travellers must therefore check frequently in the run up to departure to ensure that no material changes have been made (for example the Netherlands additionally requiring a negative LAMP test result within four hours of departure on an international flight to the country).
I imagine when holidays return this summer things will change. Fine when nobody can travel but airports can’t handle hundreds of thousands of tests.

FQTV

I imagine when holidays return this summer things will change. Fine when nobody can travel but airports can’t handle hundreds of thousands of tests.

Holidays, and indeed all forms of increased international travel, will only resume when individual countries adopt new protocols and modify current regulations and restrictions.

Holidays won’t return unless and until those changes are made, and that’s not something that ‘we’, as in the UK, have a great deal of control over, irrespective of what domestic politicians and the media might project.

What ‘we’ can do is have bilateral discussions with, say, Greece or Spain, but ultimately those countries will stay make border decisions based on their own specific considerations.

Plenty of major airports are already testing, and testing itself is being developed to make it more accurate and faster. Particularly with proof of vaccination, however, testing within a few days of departure is likely to be the main continuing requirement, so travel in this scenario wouldn’t be affected by airports’ ability to provide testing resource.

‘Holidays returning this summer’ is therefore not guaranteed at all; it’s something of a fantasy phrase that’s popularly appealing and suits the motives of some politicians, the media and travel companies desperate to get cash in, and keep it. And, of course, it’s appealing because lots and lots of folks feel like they need a break and want to think that it’ll be sooner rather later. The fact that there have already been multiple false dawns seems to be easily forgotten.

Ultimately though, entry restrictions for almost all countries for the rest of this year, and in many cases into next, remain completely unknown. Georgia looks relatively unique in being settled on a policy, if anyone fancies a fortnight Tbilisi.

Bantamzen

Established Member
Holidays, and indeed all forms of increased international travel, will only resume when individual countries adopt new protocols and modify current regulations and restrictions.

Holidays won’t return unless and until those changes are made, and that’s not something that ‘we’, as in the UK, have a great deal of control over, irrespective of what domestic politicians and the media might project.

What ‘we’ can do is have bilateral discussions with, say, Greece or Spain, but ultimately those countries will stay make border decisions based on their own specific considerations.

Plenty of major airports are already testing, and testing itself is being developed to make it more accurate and faster. Particularly with proof of vaccination, however, testing within a few days of departure is likely to be the main continuing requirement, so travel in this scenario wouldn’t be affected by airports’ ability to provide testing resource.

‘Holidays returning this summer’ is therefore not guaranteed at all; it’s something of a fantasy phrase that’s popularly appealing and suits the motives of some politicians, the media and travel companies desperate to get cash in, and keep it. And, of course, it’s appealing because lots and lots of folks feel like they need a break and want to think that it’ll be sooner rather later. The fact that there have already been multiple false dawns seems to be easily forgotten.

Ultimately though, entry restrictions for almost all countries for the rest of this year, and in many cases into next, remain completely unknown. Georgia looks relatively unique in being settled on a policy, if anyone fancies a fortnight Tbilisi.
Holidays are currently being sold for this summer. That means that those businesses in those countries where holidays are being booked are trying to plan for the restart. Politicians can bluster all they like about restrictions, vaccine passports, tests etc, but there will be serious political, and economic pressure growing from those people whose entire livelihoods rely on tourists like me rocking up and spending our bought Euros.

So don't be surprised if all of a sudden travel corridors are flung open, especially inside of the Schengen Zone.

FQTV

Holidays are currently being sold for this summer. That means that those businesses in those countries where holidays are being booked are trying to plan for the restart. Politicians can bluster all they like about restrictions, vaccine passports, tests etc, but there will be serious political, and economic pressure growing from those people whose entire livelihoods rely on tourists like me rocking up and spending our bought Euros.

So don't be surprised if all of a sudden travel corridors are flung open, especially inside of the Schengen Zone.

It absolutely does not mean that at all. ‘Holidays’ are being sold because the companies selling them want and/or need cash, just has been the case all the way through this situation.

There’s no reason for tour operators, airlines, hoteliers etc., not to try and sell. When it comes to it, they’ll cancel and at least try to avoid refunds through the provision of vouchers and credits, just has been the case all the way through, too.

Anything else is really just rhetoric to make a domestic audience feel like it’s ‘in control’, which has arguably been proved to be an appealing strategy for some for quite a while.

Now, whether it’s appropriate to ban these commercial operations from marketing and selling products and services which they cannot guarantee to be able to supply is a separate discussion - but the fact remains that Ryanair cannot decide Poland’s border controls, nor indeed can Hilton decide what rules the UK will have in place for inbound tourism.

Cdd89

Established Member
I disagree, the UK’s decisions are more relevant to us than those of other countries. Why? Because there are 195 countries in the world, and you only need one of them to accept tourists with policies around testing and quarantine you find acceptable. If you’re not picky about where you go, you will be able to go on holiday, and could even today, were it not for U.K. government policies preventing you.

Bantamzen

Established Member
It absolutely does not mean that at all. ‘Holidays’ are being sold because the companies selling them want and/or need cash, just has been the case all the way through this situation.

There’s no reason for tour operators, airlines, hoteliers etc., not to try and sell. When it comes to it, they’ll cancel and at least try to avoid refunds through the provision of vouchers and credits, just has been the case all the way through, too.

Anything else is really just rhetoric to make a domestic audience feel like it’s ‘in control’, which has arguably been proved to be an appealing strategy for some for quite a while.

Now, whether it’s appropriate to ban these commercial operations from marketing and selling products and services which they cannot guarantee to be able to supply is a separate discussion - but the fact remains that Ryanair cannot decide Poland’s border controls, nor indeed can Hilton decide what rules the UK will have in place for inbound tourism.
Well you might want to tell the resorts, hotels, and businesses in tourist countries that are making plans (and I know personally of some that are).

Jamiescott1

With schools reopening and after the initial onside testing, aren't tests going to be given to school staff and parents to do at home testing ?

Could Parents (and staff) not take the test and stockpile some of these lfd tests and use them when going on holiday?

FQTV

Well you might want to tell the resorts, hotels, and businesses in tourist countries that are making plans (and I know personally of some that are).

What else are they supposed to do? And what did they do last year?

Bantamzen

Established Member
What else are they supposed to do? And what did they do last year?
They struggled. They tried to make the best of the very limited amount of tourism there was. They borrowed money from families, banks, their governments. Some failed altogether. Of those that remain, all agree they can't have another year of this without serious consequences to their economies. And once politicians stop flapping about the virus, this reality will land firmly in their lap. That will focus their minds.

londonteacher

So? Of course businesses have to prepare and try and sell but that doesn't mean that the restrictions that that country has in place will allow people in.

Back on topic, the only tests that would be accepted would be the ones that the destination country states should they require it. A home test is very unlikely to be accepted as people could fake the results.

Gadget88

So? Of course businesses have to prepare and try and sell but that doesn't mean that the restrictions that that country has in place will allow people in.

Back on topic, the only tests that would be accepted would be the ones that the destination country states should they require it. A home test is very unlikely to be accepted as people could fake the results.
They won’t be faked soon there will be a Green pass that code will be uploaded onto the app.

Gadget88

Which will be only ok for nations with whom the UK agree a travel corridor.
True I think it will be EU wide atleast most people tend to holiday there. Gets complicated I use to take trains from Belgium to Holland but moving around will be harder I can see my next foreign holiday will have to be based in a single country.

Bikeman78

Established Member
There's already been an item on the BBC news about people queueing for up to seven hours on arrival at Heathrow. That's with hardly anyone travelling.

Passengers have complained of queues of up to seven hours long at Heathrow Airport's border control.
One passenger described a mother having to feed her baby on the floor, saying conditions were "not humane".
A union for border control workers said Covid security measures designed to reduce infections was leading to inadequate staffing.

londonteacher

They won’t be faked soon there will be a Green pass that code will be uploaded onto the app.
Home lateral flow tests could still be faked though by someone else taking the test instead, plus there is no way of ensuring that the tests have actually been completed. As someone who takes a lateral flow test twice a week as part of my job, there is nothing stopping people from saying the test is negative even if they were actually positive. This means, in my opinion, that most countries will likely not accept them.

Just because the UK accepts lateral flow tests on entry as per the guidance on the DfT website - Coronavirus (COVID-19) testing before you travel to England - does not mean that other countries will.

I hope other countries will allow lateral flow tests as it would allow people to travel much easier!

Status
Not open for further replies.