• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

Is Weymouth - Waterloo via Yeovil PM/Jct a Permitted route

Status
Not open for further replies.

richardm

I would like to travel the Weymouth and Heart of Wessex lines. Given that north of Yeovil PM up to Bedwyn is outside the Network railcard zone, can I travel Weymouth - Yeovil Pen Mill - self transfer - Yeovil Junction - Waterloo?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I would like to travel the Weymouth and Heart of Wessex lines. Given that north of Yeovil PM up to Bedwyn is outside the Network railcard zone, can I travel Weymouth - Yeovil Pen Mill - self transfer - Yeovil Junction - Waterloo?
Well, yes and no.

London Terminals to Weymouth tickets are routed either "via Westbury" or "via Southampton", so neither would permit going via Salisbury. However there is a specific permitted route for the route you are proposing, so for example it is fine on a ticket from Peckham Rye to Weymouth, which is available with routes "not via London" and "+Any Permitted".

In practice I would like to hope common sense would prevail even on a London to Weymouth ticket, but something like a Peckham Rye ticket costs barely anything more, so it would be the safe option.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
This has come up a couple of times, and SWT/SWR seemed to have painted themselves into a corner, with the result that when they run their summer Saturday through service from Waterloo to Weymouth by the above route, you cannot get a fare for it...

Alex365Dash

This has come up a couple of times, and SWT/SWR seemed to have painted themselves into a corner, with the result that when they run their summer Saturday through service from Waterloo to Weymouth by the above route, you cannot get a fare for it...
Unless of course, you buy an advance!

Kilopylae

Direct trains are always valid.

Veteran Member

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
AFAIK the "Through train rule" still exists. Have I missed something?
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/railuk-fares-ticketing-guide-section-3-routeing.70716/

This doesn't help the OP who wants to self-transfer at Yeovil, not wait for the next through train. I would certainly take the Peckham Rye option (or similar)!
The through train rule does exist however it doesn't trump a route restriction.

A split ticketing website would sell a combination of tickets, or as others have said, a longer distance ticket may be the best way around it.

Train company websites don't generally offer to sell a combination of tickets, but some do e.g. I believe the Chiltern website will sell a combination of tickets if a through fare is unavailable.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
AFAIK the "Through train rule" still exists. Have I missed something?
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/railuk-fares-ticketing-guide-section-3-routeing.70716/

This doesn't help the OP who wants to self-transfer at Yeovil, not wait for the next through train. I would certainly take the Peckham Rye option (or similar)!
The only fares from London Terminals are routed either via Westbury, or via Southampton, as post #2 The direct train does not go through either.

But yes, a station such as Peckham Rye overcomes the issue, but it‘s a solution most people would not know.

4COR

Says in the guide on here (section 3.1.2):

"Where the route is VIA a station(s) your journey must pass through this station although the train doesn't need to stop there. Where multiple stations are separated with a hyphen, you must pass through all of them. Where they are separated by a slash, you need only pass through one of them. In addition, see Tickets routed via stations that are not on a permitted route."

Last edited:

JB_B

Established Member
Thanks. Is that spelt out anywhere? If so, does our Guide need updating?

NRCoT ( available here: https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/National Rail Conditions of Travel.pdf ) currently says:

"13. ROUTES YOU MAY USE
13.1 Your Ticket may show that it is valid only on certain train services,... If no specific route or Train Company is shown, then ... it will be valid on:
13.1.1. any direct train service between the station(s) shown on your Ticket;..."

That at least makes it clear that the direct train rule doesn't take priority over a geographical route and/or operator restriction.

Veteran Member
Thanks all, clear now.
I went straight to the section headed "Through Trains" which reads, after referring to NRCoT/RG,
... a through train is always considered a permitted route...
which doesn't spell out that it is to be read in the light of the previous section.

Hi, post 2, does the + plus sign before " + any permitted " mean something ?. Beginner at ticketing.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Hi, post 2, does the + plus sign before " + any permitted " mean something ?. Beginner at ticketing.
It’s the “cross London” marker, and allows for an appropriate journey on LU, normally to join two national rail legs.

Alfonso

This doesn't directly answer to your question, but you might want to look at advances London to Weymouth via bath.you night be pleasantly surprised

paul1609

Established Member
Thanks. Is that spelt out anywhere? If so, does our Guide need updating?
If the through train rule overode the route everybody would use Southern (route three bridges) tickets between Southampton Central and Waterloo or SWR (route Honiton) tickets between Exeter St Davids and Paddington.

Jan Mayen

Says in the guide on here (section 3.1.2):

"Where the route is VIA a station(s) your journey must pass through this station although the train doesn't need to stop there. Where multiple stations are separated with a hyphen, you must pass through all of them. Where they are separated by a slash, you need only pass through one of them. In addition, see Tickets routed via stations that are not on a permitted route."
When I click on the link, it takes me to a login screen. Is access to the link restricted?

JB_B

Established Member
Wouldn't a return to Maiden Newton be valid via either route?

For a journey from London to Maiden Newton via Weymouth using a route: any permitted ticket ? That would be sensible but unfortunately, no, I don't think it would be valid. Weymouth fails the fares check as a destination routeing point and it's a long way off being the shortest route by rail.

Just a beginner on railway fares,so go easy.

Looking up Peckham Rye shows EL + SW and SC + SW

EL is east london line to clapham junction, and SW is direct via southampton to Weymouth, which is logical to the average person.

SC takes you to the sussex coast.

No mention of Salisbury

Looking on Salisbury gives LE + EL

Penzance to London via Yeovil and Salisbury.

So how can a passenger go Peckham via Yeovil if it's not show on as a permitted route ????

Watershed

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
Just a beginner on railway fares,so go easy.

Looking up Peckham Rye shows EL + SW and SC + SW

EL is east london line to clapham junction, and SW is direct via southampton to Weymouth, which is logical to the average person.

SC takes you to the sussex coast.

No mention of Salisbury

Looking on Salisbury gives LE + EL

Penzance to London via Yeovil and Salisbury.

So how can a passenger go Peckham via Yeovil if it's not show on as a permitted route ????
The routes you refer to are the mapped routes entirely avoiding London. However, as per page F9 of the Routeing Guide In Detail instructions, you will find that there is also an entry "LONDON" in the Yellow Pages.

Such an entry indicates that there are also additional permitted routes from Peckham Rye to Weymouth (subject to ticket route), namely, any combination of:

a) a permitted route from Peckham to London
b) a cross-London transfer if required
c) a permitted route from London to Weymouth

You can even use a "not via London" ticket on a combination of the above, if you switch from a) to c) at a common point and avoid London Terminals in doing so. For example, changing from PK to SW at Clapham Junction.

The Routeing Guide is a subject so complex you could probably write a thesis on it. In reality booking engines (are supposed to) implement it all automatically and passengers will only be offered itineraries in conjunction with valid tickets for said itinerary, and that will be enough for most people.

Status
Not open for further replies.